NFL TS Keeper League

Discussion in 'NFL' started by bgt2110, Jul 9, 2012.

1. bgt2110

bgt2110 Moderator Staff Member

The inaugural TS NFL Keeper League in ESPN is set up and ready to go.

In the AFC we have : Stowie, Nick L, jimbowan, Fez, Simonoz and Wateman
    In the NFC we have : bgt2110, Wiggles, Billy Bass, UnderAchievers, Johnson and Steve

The current main settings of the league have been set at :

- 17 Team Roster
    - 9 of the 17 can be listed as Keepers
    - 10 Starters and 7 on the bench
    - Starters include 2 x QB, 2 x RB, 2 x WR, 1 x TE, 1 x Flex (RB/WR/ or TE) 1 x DT/ST and 1 x Kicker
    - Maximum of 4 x QB, 8 x RB, 8 x WR, 3 x TE, 3 x DT/ST and 3 x Kicker
    - Players can be chosen from the Waiver (move to last after claim), No Limit on Acquisitions
    - No Limit to Trades, trade deadline set at Wednesday 21 Nov 2012
    - Trades have a two day review, requires 4 people to veto

This is just a summary of the main settings, a full list including scoring parameters can be seen at the League Headquarters under League Settings. Please check them out.

Fez has indicated he would like to see the option of two starting QB's and two starting TE's, all settings are open for review and would encourage us all to provide feedback so we can all own the league and be happy with the running of it. (Settings now updated to show 2 x QB)

Our online draft date still needs to be agreed on, please give this some thought and perhaps plan for either a Saturday or Sunday towards the end of August.

Good Luck for 2012/2013 and beyond, lets get some discussion going.

2. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

I am happy with the proposed settings. In regards to Fez's option, I would agree to the 2 starting QB's if everyone else agreed to this but I don't see the need for 2 starting TE's.

I think it would a good idea to find out which team everyone supports as well? That way we can really start the sledging or in Jimbowan's case he can disappear when the Raiders start losing again (he is a Raiders fan and I am a 49er's fan) - we hate each other!!! LOL

3. stowie

stowie Moderator

<blockquote>Quote from bgt2110 on July 9, 2012, 12:45
    - Players can be chosen from the Waiver wire in reverse order to the ladder, No Limit on Acquisitions
    </blockquote>

Does this mean it resets each week? Would prefer the one where you select a player and then go to the bottom, etc.

And I'm with Steve, 2 QBs could make it interesting and I wouldn't oppose it but 2 TEs... nahh!

4. bgt2110

Thanks Stowie, i have just amended it to "move to last after claim"
    All the settings were set at the "default" setting so feedback like that will be valuable to get them right.

You can still play 2 TE's, one in the TE position and one in the Flex if you wish which is reasonable.

I am a big Houston Texans fan, if Matt Schaub can stay fit and healthy i am confident we can go further into the playoffs than last year. With Foster as RB, a fit Andre Johnson and a much improved defence under Wade Phillips i am hoping that this will be their year :)

5. Wiggles

Wiggles Moderator

Firstly I just want to say that if you're not a Patriots fan, you're playing for second.

As for scoring stuff, last year we had bonus points for big plays, like passes over 40 yards, single runs over 50 yards, catches over 50 yards. I reckon that was pretty good.

As for 2 QBs, it could be good. Give us a chance to know a bit about the lesser QBs.

6. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

2 QB's is fine by me, yep a chance to learn about the lesser QB's like Alex Smith etc. If we were going to change any of the others I would say to go to 3 x WR. Plenty of quality WR depth in the NFL and might allow someone to strike gold with this years Victor Cruz. Most NFL teams run 3 x WR sets anyway.

I like the idea about big plays scoring extra? As long as the bonus points werent to extravagant.

Agree with waiver being last to pick gets highest waiver priority, thats how I have always done it.

Been a Raiders fan since about 1990, thats 22 years of frustration for those not counting so I am oblivious to all your Faiders insults! lol Bring it on!

Used to play here locally in SA and more recently coached for quite a number of years. Love the game, nothing quite like it!

7. Fez

Fez Moderator

Eagles fan

Looks like 2 starting QBs is a goer also mentioned above can play 2 TEs with 1 in the flex position which is also good. And while we are on the idea of doubling up positions how about having 2 special teams or 2 field kickers ??? My reasoning there is 32 teams and only 12 in our league so effectively 20 unused special teams . Just throwing it out there and getting people's thoughts !

8. stowie

stowie Moderator

Makes it tough for the bye weeks though Fez.

9. BillyBass

BillyBass New Member

Im a Chargers fan.

Agree with all regarding starting 2QBs and starting 1 TE.

Fez it might be too much playing 2 special teams and 2 kickers. It feels like they would be almost irrelevant, as your 2nd option, especially for special teams, may struggle to score, and even may go into the negatives if they have a bad day. I's unlikely those 2nd options would decide a matchup.

10. Fez

Fez Moderator

For bye rounds, there should be 8 available on the FA/Waiver list , with only 6 teams maximum having a bye one week u should be able to pick something up, also drafting would come into not selecting 2 special teams with same byes, just throwing out ideas to spice up the scoring, I do like bonus points and I also like the idea for bonus points if a rusher/receiver can break certain milestone eg 150 yards a game a QB can throw 400 yards etc

11. bgt2110

I personally don't mind the idea of 2 x D/ST but i don't think there is any need for 2 kickers.

I will change the settings to 2 x QB, we have 2 x WR's plus an additional WR option in the flex position so 3 in total depending on who you use there. Leaving the D/ST and kicker options open until others have a chance to give their opinions.

In regards to the Raiders v Niners rivalry i seem to remember last year there was a huge brawl in the stands between rival fans and all future pre-season games have now been cancelled between the two teams, makes for an interesting matchup when the Juggernauts come up against the Candlestick 49'ers.

12. Wiggles

Wiggles Moderator

Fez, i raised the idea of bonus points for huge games last year and someone raised the point that those guys already score huge and only a handful of guys in the league can do it, so it was giving the teams who already have an advantage by way of selecting these superstars and even bigger advantage. I tend to agree with that.

One thing we did do last year to spice up the scoring was add the punter. Good for a bit of difference and to add some aussie flavour too.

really looking forward to this season, would love to go back to back but i get the feeling it's going to be real tough!

Anyone thought about an auction draft?

13. BillyBass

BillyBass New Member

Wiggles, interesting idea of an auction draft. I played in a couple of auction draft leagues last year for the first time and I struggled in those leagues. It definitely adds another strategical element in the live draft, but I found it hard to grasp the various strategies. If we were to do this then we would all need to participate (individually) in mock drafts to get an idea of how to approach it.

14. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

@ Jimbowan, lesser QB's like Alex Smith? He was huge in that playoff game against the Saints last season. We don't need a strong QB when you have a defence like ours which will keep us in the game.

@ bgt2110, that is right there was a huge brawl last year in the practice game. We hate those ferals from across the Bay.

15. bgt2110

I am confident that this draft will be a snake format, want to keep it as simple as possible.

16. Fez

Fez Moderator

Much prefer To do the snake draft.

As for the punter position I thought it was pretty much irrelevant, I didntmind it but thought wasnt very exciting so if we all vote to have it in I won't object.

17. Johnson

Johnson Active Member

Snake draft for me, 2*Qbs, 1*TE is my preference. No to 2 punters and 2D/ST for me.

I am a Packers fan, My Father gave me a piece written by Vince Lombardi when I was a kid, super inspiring stuff, so I have been a GB fan since.

18. UnderAchievers

UnderAchievers Member

Hey guys,
    Glad to see this up and running, good work Brett.
    Im with Wiggles, Pats fan all the way!

Im happy with all the suggestions presented so far. 2 QBs will be great, will even the playing field a little. Punters and goal kickers are really just a lottery I feel. I say get rid of the punters (didnt like that their scores aren't updated immediately), and keep it to one goal kicker per team.

Once we have the rosters decided it would be great to have a look at the scoring. I really want to tweak it a little to provide the punt/kick returners with a greater involvement in the fantasy side of things. I know D/ST are provided with points for TDs but is it possible to give points to those (generally WRs) who score TDs off returns? It will increase the WR pool and make people like Hester relevant fantasy-wise.

19. bgt2110

Currently the settings for D/ST include 6 points for a Punt Return TD and 6 points for a kickoff return TD.

Also under a "miscellaneous" category is 6 points scored for a kickoff return TD and 6 points for a punt return TD.

Whether that means both the D/ST score the 6 points as well as 6 points for the actual returner i am not sure but that is how i read it.

Within this "miscellaneous" category you can also allocate points for kickoff return yards and punt return yards. For example every 10 yards returned on a kickoff scores you 1 point.

Any feedback on this would be great.

The original schedule and playoff settings ESPN gave us were set up where each team had two byes and had 4 teams in the playoffs. Didn't think that was good enough because we all want to play every week !!

After much playing around with the different combinations i have currently settled on a 6 team playoff schedule with NO BYES :) I believe each team now plays every other team once over the first 11 weeks with playoffs starting in week 12. Obviously the playoff schedule has not been set but my current reading of the playoff schedule implies the number 1 team in each division has a bye in the first week of the playoffs with number 2 and 3 teams playing off against each other in each division. The respective winners then play team number 1 in the second week and the winners of that game meet in the championship game. All playoff matches happen over 2 weeks. Consolation finals are played for the bottom 3 teams in the same manner so everyone is playing each week. At this stage i believe that is correct but ESPN have not set it out in the easiest way to understand so i may be mistaken.

Encourage everyone at some stage to log into ESPN and check out your schedule of games.

20. UnderAchievers

UnderAchievers Member

Quick question about the schedule....when do the bye rounds finish?? We obviously dont want to hold the playoffs during any round where NFL teams have byes.