Pendlebury out for another two....

Discussion in 'AFL' started by tmq, Jun 19, 2012.

1. tmq

tmq New Member

"STAR Collingwood midfielder Scott Pendlebury faces another two weeks on the sidelines with a cracked tibia, the club said on Monday"

worth trading? wish they'd say 6 weeks to make the choice easy!

2. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Depends how many trades you have left and how many more upgrades you've gotta do.
    I'll be holding onto him

3. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I remember at the time WCE was not much chance, the next match was 50-50.

Obviously the Pies are taking things a little more conservatively this year.

I agree it's pretty hard to trade him out and then get him back at a later time. There aren't that many players you could direct swap who would be better than him to an extent that it's worth burning the trade.

If you'd done a direct swap to Swan for the Melbourne match, that was the one that could have paid off. Ablett 180 notwithstanding still would have probably been a bust due to his previous poor week.

Mathematically, you trade to Swan and they both average the same for the rest of the year and play the same amount of matches with Pendles out the next 2 then you probably gain about 170 points from one trade.

A down-upgrade you'd think would still be able to get you 30 ppg maybe 40 if you have GWS. This is still slightly better than 170.

Would be happy for Hornsy to join this discussion...

4. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Hornsy has been kidnapped. There is someone pretending to be Hornsy. Don't pay him any heed, he's an idiot.

5. Lucas

Well done TiB on the 2000, sorry I'm a day or so late.

6. Astro39

Astro39 New Member

Just got a question on this: how many Pies is too many Pies? Swan, Pendles, Beams, Sidey look like locks for winning teams, then you have Shaw and Thomas who are possibles (Shaw a lock if he remains uninjured) - that's a lot of Pies for one squad. Are there any downsides to having a weighting towards so many players from one team?

7. Lucas

If the Pies keep playing the kids then there's always going to be plenty of points to go round for the 3300 rule to kick in.

But if all the best players come back, points will be restricted.

The other thing I see is the Pies have a fairly tough draw on the run home which to me suggests that they won't be able to go quite as big, because the opposing team will restrict the scores of all but the best players.

8. gogonz

gogonz New Member

Trades are too few for me to swap him out. Him and Zaha = $1.1m on the pine. Consider that and I have $600k in the bank and that's a lot of money doing nothing. Guess I'll have to suck up some nasty losses for at least 2-3 more weeks.

9. gogonz

gogonz New Member

Trades are too few for me to swap him out. Him and Zaha = $1.1m on the pine. Consider that and I have $600k in the bank and that's a lot of money doing nothing. Guess I'll have to suck up some nasty losses for at least 2-3 more weeks.

10. Astro39

Astro39 New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Lucas on June 18, 2012, 21:37
    If the Pies keep playing the kids then there's always going to be plenty of points to go round for the 3300 rule to kick in.

But if all the best players come back, points will be restricted.

The other thing I see is the Pies have a fairly tough draw on the run home which to me suggests that they won't be able to go quite as big, because the opposing team will restrict the scores of all but the best players.</blockquote>

Thanks for the reply. :)

11. silacious

silacious New Member

I posted weeks ago stating 4-6 weeks nobody listened to me, and this was from inside at collingwood

12. gogonz

gogonz New Member

<blockquote>Quote from silacious on June 19, 2012, 08:01
    I posted weeks ago stating 4-6 weeks nobody listened to me, and this was from inside at collingwood</blockquote>

Easy tiger. I don't think anyone here has traded him in since he got injured and so far, he's missed one game. Bit early to be claiming the high moral ground.

13. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Think everyonr knew it wouldnt be 2 weeks, didnt take a rocket scientist to know that.

14. anthak

<blockquote>Quote from gogonz on June 18, 2012, 21:51
    Trades are too few for me to swap him out. Him and Zaha = &#36;1.1m on the pine. Consider that and I have &#36;600k in the bank and that's a lot of money doing nothing. Guess I'll have to suck up some nasty losses for at least 2-3 more weeks.</blockquote>
    You gotta spend that 600k brah

15. anthak

<blockquote>Quote from silacious on June 19, 2012, 08:01
    I posted weeks ago stating 4-6 weeks nobody listened to me, and this was from inside at collingwood</blockquote>
    Who didn't listen? I may be wrong, but as I remember it, most people were predicting a lengthy time away for him. Pretty easy to come to that conclusion if considering the history of similar injuries.

Thanks for your info though. It was appreciated at the time and still is.

I still don't think I'll be trading him. I'm running too low on trades. If he was out for the season, that would be a different story.

16. Midge001

Midge001 Member

I'll hold onto him...bring in Swan this week to give a midfield of Swan, Pendlebury, Watson, Selwood, Ablett, Rockliff.
    It means for a few weeks I'll have Pendles, Zaka and HMac on the bench, which stands for a little short-term pain, but when they're all running around again I'll be feeling pretty confident for finals.

17. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

@silacious - i dont think anyone's listening to you now either teehee

18. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

I confess to being a little confused about bringing in Swan this week "to give a midfield of" Swan, Pendlebury (injured), Watson, Selwood, Ablett (bye) and Rockliff. But each to his own I guess.

More confusing though is a professed Hawthorn supporter whose avatar says, "Carn the Cats".

While I agree with the Lucas sentiments on Collingwood, and he should know, having an excess in your side may be a risk worth taking. The Woodsmen had a poor start to the year, compared to now, when they have finals clearly in their sights and no one seems to be calling for Buck's head anymore. I would guess this last half of the season is time to eye off finishing position and Collingwood will be out to win, if not annihilate, crush and destroy. The breakouts of Sidebottom and Beams add to Pendlebury/Swan. From an SC perspective, Sides and Beams can be both played forward. This would be a very strong spread to have, with 2 FWD and 2 MID. Add to that Shaw up back and Cloke forward, would that be one too many? Perhaps not. Cloke and Shaw are likely to have occasional games where they will go big - other than that you want them scoring about the 80 av. for (KPP)FWD/DEF. As for the SC pie, I think the jury is still out on prems going huge in so-called easy games. For Pendles/Swan, it seems the hotter it is in the kitchen, the more they do, the more they score.