Position changes and would you have them?????

Discussion in 'AFL' started by dabombers, Jan 31, 2011.

1. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

I just wanted to get some feedback on what peoples thoughts are on certain players positional changes this season.

With Gibbs and Lids now dual positioning I can imagine them in most teams like Hodge has been in previous years.

Which leads to me my quandry, why would people not now pick Hodge just because he is only listed as a Centre position. He is a proven Gun in Supercoach especially, and would be in 90% of teams if he was just a Defender, so why not have him in the centre.

There are probably a few other players whose positions have changed that could be discussed, ones gaining Dual Positioning and others that have lost it.

2. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Why and why not? Competition and other options

You want the best team available and if there are restrictions put in your way eg the flexibility of their position, then it's going to affect how you structure your team.

If there are plentiful midfield options but not defensive, you can see why you would put the midfielder in as a defender if you can, leaving your midfield spots open for those who are solely mids. Same goes for forwards.

Rucks and the link to forwards I see as more complicated and can fall down depending on how players try to exploit it.

I can see a simple approach to rucks as being better particularly after the Tippett debacle of last season.

3. DAZZLER

DAZZLER New Member

No Hodge for DAZZLER this year, but I just know it will bits me...

4. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Also look at it this way. Hodge is at the very top when it comes to defenders. But compare him to midfielders, and he suddenly isn't at the very top with Goddard. Would anyone be getting Lids if he was Mid only? Probably not.

5. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Ruddy on January 31, 2011, 13:47
    Also look at it this way. Hodge is at the very top when it comes to defenders. But compare him to midfielders, and he suddenly isn't at the very top with Goddard. Would anyone be getting Lids if he was Mid only? Probably not.</blockquote>

The thing is, last year, Hodge was the 6th best scorer in the league.

Goddard, Ablett, Swan, Judd, Selwood, Hodge.

So he certainly would have qualified a top Mid.

6. wal

wal New Member

I'll still take Hodge as a midfielder. His record in seasons he's played in the middle is first rate. Didn't do as well as Goddard last year but I look at those guys the same way. We're lucky if we can get them in defense, if not they're still elite performers and worthy of consideration.

7. Fez

Fez Moderator

What's Hodge's projected price will probs get him if its anything under 550k

8. Lucas

Walesy - Hodge would have just scraped into a side as a mid (M6 or M5 if you DP Goddard) But if you can only choose 3 then he's a few positions off it.

9. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Another thing that discourages me from Hodgey is the fact that he was relied on so much last year. All of Sewell, Burgoyne, Mitchell, Rioli, Ellis, Bateman, Young etc. all missed games, with a couple missing large portions of the season. That's basically our entire midfield. While i love Hodgey as a player, he won't score as much as last year, imo. Which ultimately makes him overpriced to begin the season.

@Walesy
    Not many teams managed to have all those players in their midfield though. What i was trying to point out was the fact that in defence, he was a must have. But in the midfield, there are a multitude of options that scored the same, or pretty close to what he scored. At his starting price, and the fact he won't be relied on so heavily, and the lack of mpp, means he just doesn't present a better case than Swan, Ablett, Judd, Selwood, etc. So it seems smarter to start with them over him.

10. bonesy

bonesy Member

what Ruddy said. he's still a gun, but an option now, rather then a lock.

I think most people will take a wait and see approach to him, and pick him up if an opportunity to upgrade arises.

11. Lucas

Hodge would however be a lovely POD

12. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

Thanks guys good discussion. Just my take is that in my team and a few others people are putting in Watson,
    Montagna/Cross/Boyd and other guys that are just a step back from Hodgey. Hodgey is one of the few Hard men that even if he gets crunched still plays on.

I think he is primed for a brownlow type year(I hate saying that of a Hawthorn player) but if the other guys around him are up and about it wont reduce his points but increase his potential as it will make him another guy you have to tag and you can't tag 5 players.
    Just see Saints Who to tag VS who gets a free run. Usually Goddard, as teams try and counter either him or Montagna. Hodge can handle a tag as he is defensively minded first and thats what I reckon makes him a great player, his points come from rebounds/clearances and tackles.

13. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

I suppose this year people will have a bias against Hodge because he doesn't have mpp or the massive value that he had last year. Even though he is just as good.

Another thing to consider is who else from that players team will get into your SC team. For example, from Hawthorn, many people will have Buddy, Rioli, Smith, Puopolo. Whereas from the doggies, there are less other options. With Boyd and Cross the two main options. By choosing Cross over Hodge, you get a greater team diversity.

14. suther

suther Member

Ruddy - echoed.

15. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

Fair point Ruddy, I guess it all depends on which way ya going League or Overall. After Rnd 6 Hodgie would be a great inclusion as most people will prob put the other Hawk Fwd they didn't start with.

Strategy this year will be trying to get one over other teams with the when and who you bring in for upgrades.

16. Stew

Stew New Member

I would seriously consider taking Hodge if it wasn't for round 6. Already I am trying to cut a few premiums from the round 6 bye sides, let alone add Hodge to the mix. By losing his MPP, he pretty much sealed his fate for me, as I could have potentially covered him in the backline.
    He now becomes a trading target, along with Ablett.

17. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

So Lets move on to any other players that have changed, (I think we have covered Hodge enough). What other players have lost their Dual Position. One of the top of my head is Waite,(but I dont imagine may going there) is there others that would be in anyone top team..??????

18. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

Replace May with Many......

19. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

Waite is a proven SC performer in a top 8 side, second year back from injury. Other than his tendency to throw the occasional elbow why would you want to avoid him?