Post-GF Retirement Predictions

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Jason, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Who do we think will announce their retirements this weeked?

As I understand it, L.Brown and Mooney already have. Scarlett has announced his intention to finish up after 2012.

But who is going to pull the plug this year?

Milburn surely? Wojinski? Davis? Tarrant? Jolly?

EDIT: Any mod who could be so kind as to make this thread AFL and not just Donor would receive my sincerest thanks.

2. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Apart from Brown & Mooney, I think Milburn & Wojo the most likely - can't really see any others, but you never know.

3. Brock McLean!

4. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Moved to AFL for ya Jason

It's a tough one on the retirements. I reckon it's possibly result-based.

If Collingwood win, I would not be shocked if Davis, Tarrant and Johnson join Brown in retirement. A loss, and they probably all stick in again.

Other options, though probably slight, would be players such as Jolly and Didak, who I think to be fair probably have 2-3 years of play left in them, given a reasonable run of fitness.

I've thought Maxwell might pull the pin as well, but then again, a great preseason could make him feel like a million bucks. This year's preparation could not have been worse for him.

Captain Courageous this week is playing with a busted knee, broken ribs and cracked wrist. Any wonder he's won the respect of the playing group.

5. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Interesting views. I tend to agree that Maxwell might be inclined to call stumps, definitely a chance.

6. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Mickey Milkshake.

Speaking of which, how many coaches have won a flag in their first season?

7. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I read in the media that there were 13...can't exactly believe that, unless they are giving one for people like Blight at Adelaide in 97, Parkin at Carlton in 81

Most recent would have been Alan Joyce at Hawthorn in 88 who to be fair did exactly what Scott has done, just tuned up an already existing premiership team. Then did it again in 1991. His interview at the end of the Final Story about his nightmares was something that sticks firmly in the mind.

Charlie Clymo only coached one year and won a flag in 1931. Would be a good story around this guy's life I'd think.

Nicholls in 72, Jezza 79 his first full year

Bob Rose came within 4 points of a flag in his first year of coach at Collingwood in 1964. I'm way too young to remember that, but I'm wondering if changing from Kyne to Rose was the move that sparked the flag assault, or whether Alphonse would have been a handy coach against the great Norm Smith.

Diggins 38 I'm pretty sure.

The media might have given the early premiership captains that role, which is a bit misleading.