potential trades after round 1

Discussion in 'AFL' started by eckie79, Mar 29, 2011.

1. eckie79

eckie79 New Member

So I was just wondering who, if anyone, people were thinking of trading out after the round 1 performances.

For me, I scored 2238, and was let down in my midfield. Swan - C, Selwood, Harvey, Goodes, Heppell and Conca were my starts, with Selwood getting KO'd in the 1st Q, and Harvey and Goodes having particularly low games compared to pre-season form.

Having said that, even though they didn't perform as well as hoped, I don't know if I'll trade anyone out as yet, and wait to see how round 2 pans out.

Does anyone have a particular player that they are definately trading out after round 1?

2. BennyC88

BennyC88 Member

I'm not pulling the trigger just yet. Going to hold onto my trades for later on in the season.

Still early days

3. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

As much as I want to trade Yarran out I'll be holding off til after round 2 so i can see who performs well again and who is just a one week wonder..

4. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

No trades for Round 1.

The only one you'd do is one for Jonathan Brown or another long term injury.

Round 2 you sit and assess, you might find there's a clear bolter that you have missed.

The unfortunate thing about Curnow, who could still be a good-average player, is that his score is likely to be inflated by the Gold Coast.

Yarran to me means sit and cop the medicine, but after 2 games, well you can think about doing what the winner did last year with Medhurst-Hall. One up, one down.

If you've missed one of the exciting forward rookies, then you might want to go down that path.

But...you've got to make sure you wait another round.

LTI's that is all for Round 1 trades.

5. BennyC88

BennyC88 Member

@Lucas

Right on the money, You would want to trade off Big Johnno for someone else. Maybe check the casualty list to see if any other players have gone down long-term.

I dodged some bullets form the likes of LeCras and Selwood. But if I still had them in, I'd do some research first and see how they go before making the change. But even then you should just sub them off and hold onto them.

6. LiQuiD_SiXx

LiQuiD_SiXx Active Member

The only player close to the chopping block in my team is Yarran. However, I dont see any GC player capable of playing the defensive forward role on him. Another week to see what he has got and if he cant deliver against GC, what chance has he got at delivering at all. If so, he will be gone for Petrie or jump jump on a forward rookie's train that's just about to leave the station.

Yes Boomer and Goodes had poor performances, but they are premiums and will come good eventually. Boomer was tagged hard on the weekend and I have faith he will bounce back. Just think back to his response to the 11 point game from last year - rebounded with a 170+ from memory.

Goodes on the other hand dominated early and was then well held. Stats-wise, should have score 90-100 if he played more consistently over the four quarters. Those contemplating a Goodes-ROK sideways are asking for trouble. Remember ROK started brilliantly last year and then slowed, whilst Goodes started slowly and then came good. Deja-vu?

As Lucas said above - the only trades that should be made this week are for LTI's only!

7. Fez

Fez Moderator

Def hold onto Selwood Harris and Swallow will cover hime nicely this week

8. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

I agree with all on this topic, it's sheer madness to burn trades so early - it's a marathon season, not a sprint - burn a trade now and you'll regret it late in the season when you really need that extra one!!!
    I'm disappointed with how Yarran went, and also got burnt by Connors being the Tiges sub, but i've got no plans to jump the gun early on anyone - still have another week to see who performs and who doesn't before even thinking about any possible changes.
    As Lucas said previously, LTI's the only exception!

9. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

Just a quick point on Yarran.

Not every team is going to have a quick defensive forward like Matty White. And to be fair to Yarran, White didn't actually go and get much of the ball. His sole job for the night was to stop Yarran and nothing else.

If Yarran can learn to break a tag, he will be unstoppable coming off of a half back flank.

I still have faith in him.

10. bfish

bfish New Member

Would not think about trading out Selwood, but Curnow has me thinking. He is likely to score well against Gold Coast. Maybe a sideways rookie trade 1 week before I would normally do it allows me to have Curnow cover Selwood instead of Bewick, Atley or Libba. Prob choose Atley. Didn't go with mpp to start as I'm looking at Hibberd, Jacobs, Mzungu and Callinan down the track. The rest of my starting mids will be Swan, Pendles, Murphy, D.Swallow and Harris.

11. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

if you have big problems and think you will need 2 trades next week, then maybe you could make a trade this week...

12. meataxe

meataxe Guest

Yarran is going to be difficult for many coaches because GC will not be a good gauge for how he is likely to perform for the rest of the season. At least Yarran owners are lucky that his 30-odd occurred in Round 1, where it will only affect salary for one round.

With the Gold Coast boys coming into town, there's probably no need for any trades now unless one has big J. Brown - fortunately though there are many good options to trade out to.

13. Whyt_ee

Whyt_ee New Member

wish i had swan and gibbs grrrrrrrrrr

14. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

@meataxe,

Think the same might be said for Curnow and Duigan. Correct me if I am wrong, but think Carlton are going to the sunshine. According to commentators, heat was a problem during the Lions/Freo game at the Grabba, so might be a factor also. Generally though, Carlton tend to do well at the venue, at least against Lions.

The problem for Yarran is other teams now know that playing a defensive forward on him works.

15. Smarch

Smarch Member

Have Yarran who I think will at least do alright against the GC kids, but my big worry is Johncock, have heard mentions that looked like his role had changed and may not be for the better SC wise. No injuries so will live with the choice for this week, even though they have the bye, and hope he comes good after the break, plenty of down grades to choose from though so no sideways actions.

16. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

Umm is that the best thing to do with Johncock? put up with the bye and then hope? I don't know what to do! I'm really thinking I should trade...

(I also have M Johnson for freo, but think he will have to score more than 20 next week!) lol

17. Fez

Fez Moderator

I'd keep Johncock

18. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

Johncock looked like he had a serious case of shagger's gait in the last qtr. Don't know if it's worth trading him out, but you'd prefer not to see your premiums waddle around the field.

19. Ok, this whole trading rationale is doing my head in. I have already made two trades, which I am happy with, and a lot of people don't agree with using them this early but that's fine by me. The bit I don't understand is the rationale that in round 1 a score of sub 2300 is basically stuffed, yet if you are 200-300 below that a trade is still frowned upon. Surely it's a lot better to use trades now when you're only one game in and possibly make up 150-200 points rather than wait 2-3 rounds where you could be 600-900 points down? I just can't see any logic in waiting until you're well and truly out of the race to use your trades for fear of running out of them later, when you're stuffed anyway

20. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

I will give Everitt the benefit of the doubt being rd1 and wait and see how he goes against the Bombers. Could have made a blew selecting him as a potential POD but if he spuds it up this weekend he's out the door and Heppell comes in and i pocket the cash. Just on big Browny, any suggestions for a replacement-he's in my other half's side.