Random Thoughts: Rookies, Trades, Rd.10 Team

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Rufus, May 1, 2011.

1. Rufus

Rufus New Member

(Sorry, this will be a little lengthy, unlike me)

With all the byes and subs this year it seems keeping one of your best rookies in each line to use as a sub could be important(or d7 f7 m6), since most weeks your not going to be full strength.

Im thinking @ this stage I'm not going to trade Heppell, Curnow or Darling at all this season, unless its the last couple of rounds.

I started thinking about it when i compared my team and how many trades I've used to BlueThunder who won last year. Last year you had the luxury of trading out your gun rookies to bring in the premium big cats because there wasn't all the byes and sub mayhem (even tho u had a few less trades). Blue Thunder last year traded Rocky and Brown in and out and wasted a few trades in the process. Actually by lockout Rd 6 he had used 7 trades already and 13 by lockout Rd 10.

What he did have is great side by Rd 10.
    God Sexi Goodwin Enright Hodge Waters Maguire
    Ablett Selwood DalSanto Judd Swan Barlow
    Sandi Cox | Warnock Trengove
    Chap Pav Harvey Franklin O'keefe Goodes Jpod

He basically had 18 premiums, then Jpod, Barlow Waters and Maguire to upgrade. But Jpod and Barlow tunred out to be keepers anyway.

I compared it to my Rd 10 team that i should roughly have.

Godd Gibb Lids Brought Grimes Heppel Lower
    Swan Pendles Selwood Judd Boyd Curnow
    Sandi Cox
    Frank Pav N.Riewold Rioli Goodes O'keefe Chap

Fingers crossed i should have 19 premiums with Heppel, Lower (or Thompson) and Curnow to upgrade or keep. So that'd b 1 more premium using 1 less trade by Lockout Rd 10 than Blue Thunder.

Injuries and other stuff could pop up of course so who knows. But overall, i think you would need to think carefully about trading Curnow Heppell or Darling when upgrading to premiums. Especially since u can basically have a stacked side by Round 10 without trading them.

2. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

I definitely agree with you re Heppell and Darling. I plan to carry both of them through to Finals.

In regards to Curnow, I was looking at trading him for Pendles after Collingwood bye in R13, but looking at your R10 team, I may need to change my strategy...

Apart from Broughton (injury cloud) that's a very decent team. My team will be slightly different in that I have J Roo instead of ROK and Heater instead of Broughton.

3. Rufus

Rufus New Member

Ya id like to have Jroo too, i couldn't get him in tho without screwing following weeks trades.

Wouldn't suggest changing ur strategy, just thought id bring it up to see what everyone else was thinking.

I guess overall i'd like to know i have one bench player that can pump out 80-100 consistently because more than likely i'll be using them every week coz of the byes

4. damnfunky

damnfunky New Member

I have a premium side planned as well, but the bench doesnt fill me with confidence....eg. players like jacobs, mzungu, hibberd.

I'd be interested to see what the bench of your round 10 side looks like, is it possible to keep a decent bench and do the upgrades, I wonder.

5. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

Going with a very similar train of thought there Dojo.

I've already burnt 6 trades to cash up and get the right sorts of rookies to grab their cash.

I'm going to trade players from the bottom avg up this year, so Richardson, Krak V2011, Batchelor and Duigan will be the first to go.
    Got a few Mid-pricers like Yarran and Hurley who will go to Prems in their Bye weeks, and gonna keep Fyfe and Higgins until very late if not the whole way through.

Only need to upgrade 2 rookies in each line to have a complete side so thats 12 trades there. and will leave a mid-priced improver on each line.

Looks like this season is made by the mid-pricers.
    Fyfe, and Suckling, Adcock and a few others being very handy so far...

6. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

You don't necessarily need to have one on each line. If you run mpp through your team, you can have one or two super subs (depending on how the byes affect you), and they can provide adequate cover, without leaving as much money on the bench.

7. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

Reading through some of the posts in the forum, it seems as though the consensus is to trade aggresively over the coming weeks.

The problem is there doesn't seem to be much in the way of quality on the bubble this week, particularly in Defence where I was hoping to slaughter Duigan. If Hibberd knocks out 100 pts today, then I might have to take a gamble on him.

Failing that, the safe option would be to slaughter D Swallow for Iles, Wallis or Matt Wright?

Could be an interesting week, with lots to consider...

8. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

@ThommoDees I'm taking a punt Pederson will get back in, and Duigan down to him or Watson. another is Paupolo(or however it is spelt.)
    Any news on Sam Day??? supposed to be a gun!!!

9. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

<blockquote>Quote from dabombers on May 1, 2011, 13:10
    @ThommoDees I'm taking a punt Pederson will get back in, and Duigan down to him or Watson. another is Paupolo(or however it is spelt.)
    Any news on Sam Day??? supposed to be a gun!!!</blockquote>

Yeah Pederson and Watson were on my radar this week, but both seem to be struggling to get games. I really don't like trading in players that have only played 1 game. Maybe with Hansen injured, Pederson will get a run? It would be nice is Duigan made way for Watson! :D

10. Rufus

Rufus New Member

Only place pedersen will play is forward for North, but they only play 2 talls Hansen & Petrie. So he'll only come in if Hansen doesn't play coz of his back injury. Edwards kicked 4 yesterday and Cruize had 37 touches and 2 goals so he'll probably be back. Pedersen is very iffy, he wont get a spot in defence. The one game he played for North they had Goldy, Mcintosh and Petrie all out and he rucked the whole day.

On Richo, he didnt' do enough to get back in the team next week either.

11. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

That's good to know re Pedersen. Obviously a chance to come in for Hansen, but long term JS is poor. Probably not worth the risk.

Cheers

12. blankmc

blankmc New Member

should i get rid of gaff? my only bad pick, he should be a gun just playing as sub hurts cash development.

options would be hibberd or ilse

13. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree with Dojo, Pederson does not smell good. Like he said, his price rise looks deceivingly appealing as when he scored so high, North had no Petrie or Goldy. Buyer beware! I'd take a punt on Hibberd. With Winderlich and Dempsey out we need some stability down back and I think he'll give it to us.
    Was named on the wing straight away, is mature aged, and scored relatively well seeing as the ball wasn't in our back half much at all against GC.

14. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Hibberd, Iles, Puopolo and Jacobs.

Quite a few choices in the next few weeks.

Iles could come into the mids this week, and really the guy to trade up or down is Duigan this week.

Heppell and Darling definite D7 F7 keepers until at least later in the year.

My aim for the next four weeks is to trade out maxed out rookie cash cows and trade into Chapman, Swallow/under-priced mid, Pav/Harvey (MPP) and maybe another mid (Swan perhaps).

But the last trade could be to a defender - plenty of bargains upcoming there at the moment ... Newman, Enright, Lake, etc.

Hopes my team post Round 10 might be:

B: Gibbs, Lids, Broughton, Grimes, Goddard, Heppell, Lower/upgraded defender to be determined (Thompson, Stanley/Jacobs/Puopolo, Batchelor)
    M: Pendles, Judd, Selwood, Chapman, Swallow, *mid yet to be determined* (three of Harris, Iles/Swallow, Hibberd/Jacobs/Puopolo)
    R: Cox, Sandilands (Fraser, Z Smith)
    F: Franklin, N Riewoldt, Pavlich/Harvey, Rioli, Goodes, J Roo, Darling (Krak, Tapscott maybe, another rookie).

Just have to identify the right rookie downgrades - the upgrades are in some ways easier! Might've fluked a good one with Thompson last week - now to find one for Duigan this week.

15. chris88

Also - if you can keep a rookie or two who is going to continue to provide coverage on the bench - my aim, for example, is to try and keep a guy like Dan Harris or even Krak/Tapscott - it provides a bit more bench security going forward.

16. Mattoc

Mattoc New Member

i've got the conundrum of downgrade targets for duigan and libba.

I'm wondering if i missed the boat last week on thompson of the crows who i am considering for duigan.

as for libba, i like the look of wallis, but iles is also appealing. But with iles i would have 3 gc rookie mids (swallow and harris.)

Any thoughts??

17. chris88

Iles is the one I reckon Mattoc, but it would probably mean you have to trade out one of your other GC rookies simply for balance reasons.

As for downgrade targets - see above - Puopolo, Jacobs, Hibberd, Iles.

18. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Iles I think looks better than Wallis.

3 GC mids wouldnt be for long, as you'd surely cull Swallow/Harris soon anyway.

Can I ask why you're culling Libba first before the GC boys?

19. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I just noticed Iles is a little more expensive than Wallis.

Is he worth the extra spending?

20. broge

broge New Member

What are our thoughts on downgrading to matthew wright this week, haven't seen him play. Is he likely to keep his spot??