Rioli - new role..hmm

Discussion in 'AFL' started by damnfunky, May 15, 2011.

1. damnfunky

damnfunky New Member

2. Golingo

Golingo New Member

Some interesting information regarding Hodge's injury in there too though!

edit: and I wonder if it would do anything for Smith's JS if Rioli's run was lessened with his time in the forward 50.

3. damnfunky

damnfunky New Member

I am not familiar with Smiths role. should rioli's move forward will increase or decrease Smiths JS?

note. of course we should always trust what the coaches say they are going to do with the players ;)

4. Golingo

Golingo New Member

He's got run and carry, and can add pace to the Hawthorn midfield. If Rioli can't play up there more, he seems the ideal candidate to help fill the void.

5. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

they should both be in the team imo - no matter what roles they are playing.

if rioli is getting injured because of his time in the midfield, then a move back forward will be great. we need him out there on the field more than anything.

SC wise. I think he will still score huge either way. even if he plays forward, he will still do a lot, and at the important times of the game, which is one thing thats so good about Rioli!

6. spud

spud New Member

Put it this way - 80 ppg every week > 110ppg once a month when he misses the other three with injury!

7. DC

DC Member

If Rioli is named this week he stays simple...

He would of scored 100+ in yesterdays game as a forward or in the midfield

8. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I don't think it will totally kill his scoring. Will be interesting to see though.

Hodge looks really appealing this week or next. In DT you'd think it would have to be this week - BE of 47 and at $328k - absolute bargain!

What do you think Hawthorn supporters? Was it St Kilda's crapness or a case of Hodge back to his sparkling best yesterday?

9. spud

spud New Member

I wouldn't be bringing in any one of our blokes against the Swans - they're our ultimate kryptonite up there.

Keep an eye on him, has a bit of work to do on his kicking efficiency from what I saw, but starting to look a bit better. Looked very slow still in patches.

10. snoz

snoz Moderator

Spud....side topic but not worth a new thread...(this one is morphing into an all Hawks topis anyway).

Have been waiting for Suckling to 'not keep this up' and I'll be damned if he hasnt so far cemented himself in the top 10 Defenders this year. With Schoe coming in for Gillham, does this help or hinder Suckers?

For 100k less, he is avergaing only 10 pts per week under the big boys down back....

11. spud

spud New Member

I honestly don't think it will impact much on him one way or the other, Simon. He has certainly cemented himself in the side and I don't see him being pushed out any time in the foreseeable future, either.

Good question, however, but I don't see it affecting him or his scoring, thankfully. We wouldn't want to lose any more down back, though, or we may start losing the ability to rebound a tad and consequently not able to supply the ball up the ground as often.

12. snoz

snoz Moderator

Cheers Spud...I'm going to spend all week convincing myself to trade Lower into him for a measly 100k...the idea being rather than pay 200k for Shaw/Fisher, I can use that next week for Chappy/Gaj/Pav etc...

13. Cahill

Cahill New Member

I have watched suckling play in his last few games and after originally thinking he had fluked a few good scores I noticed he is basically the designated kicker out of defense and at his price imo he is a great pickup (I will be getting him this week too).

14. Bucko

Bucko Active Member

Cyril is imo the biggest SC headache this week.

Clarko saying he will sit him up forward, a BE of 160, touch wood a more serious hammy down the track and the chance of being subbed this week all have the trade trigger finger at the ready.

Say he hits an 80 this week (and I think thats being generous) and increases by 5 each round for the next 5 rounds to get back to his average, he will bottom out salary wise at #395k in round 11. If he then averages 100 for the rest of the season his price will still not reach what it is now.

Silvia is looking like a good sideways option, salary wise its a great move, but the Dees draw is tough (STK, CAR, ESS, COL) I just don't know if the extra points Silvia will bring is worth a trade.

Im really pulling my hair out over this one, especially being a Hawks supporter !

(Supercoach have taken the little bandaid off his name - where do they get their injury reports from?)

15. DC

DC Member

The amount of times Hawks go into there forward line Rioli will be set to score 90+ from here on in anyway...

He has the magic touch and can win games off his own boot which he done at least 3 times last year even carrying that groin complaint

16. Bucko

Bucko Active Member

Do you play Rioli on the field this week ?

Its either him or McKernan (v the Pies) for me.

17. DC

DC Member

If named - Rioli straight on the field!

I have already moved him there in hope

18. Bucko

Bucko Active Member

Wow, now thats confidence and not even a Hawks supporter !

19. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Of course you have to play Rioli on the field!! He is a premium, and who knows he may snag 2-3 goals per game from here on in and average 80-90.

Just cos he's going to the fwd line doesn't mean his scores will become absolute rubbish.

Suckling is the one who's enticing me. Can upgrade Grimes to him or Shaw and I know the no brainer seems like Shaw but Suckling is wooing me....