RMT please.....just kidding...but please RMDQDB

Discussion in 'AFL' started by BJWNFI, Mar 10, 2012.

1. BJWNFI

BJWNFI Member

Rate My Donut Quota During Byes

Hi folks. Last year and so far this year, I haven't poured too much time into formulating a strategy around the bye rounds. This may well be naive folly but I find just getting the right mix on the park during the normal rounds time consuming enough, so have opted for a good mix of players i.e. not loading up too heavily on players from the same team. In using the 'analyser' feature on SC, perhaps I do need to spend a bit more grey matter on this! Here's how my current (will change significantly come R1 I'm sure) team maps out at bye time i.e. number of players out by position:

R11 Def 3, Mid 1, Ruc 2, Fwd 3, TOTAL 8
    R12 Def 4, Mid 3, Ruc 1, Fwd 3, TOTAL 11
    R13 Def 4, Mid 2, Ruc 0, Fwd 5, TOTAL 11

Is it just me or is that freakin ugly? Anyone aiming for significantly less than this as we move closer to the bye rounds? Thoughts on a utopian mix?

2. peps_12

peps_12 New Member

How can you have 11 forwards out across three rounds?even allowing for dpp, surely it would be less rather than more by moving players between slots?

3. Banzai

Banzai New Member

I would suggest trading out two Forwards and a defender for 2 mids and a ruckman, then delisting yer 10th remaining defender. In all seriousness though, I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure yer rucks are some combination of 2/1/1 and that you have at least 2 players from each bye in each other position.

4. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

it seems important to get the rucks right, i agree. cox, goldy, jacobs, Giles...all week 11 byes

5. b_frazer5

b_frazer5 New Member

Mine is:
    R11: Def 3, Mid 3, Ruck 2, Fwd 3 Total:11 Non Rookies:3

R12: Def 2, Mid 3, ruck 0, Fwd 3 Total:8 Non Rookies:5

R13: Def 4, Mid 2, Ruck 2, Fwd 3 Total:11 Non Rookies:7

First of all non rookies are midpricers n premiums, so rd13 really hurts me especially because i got deledio scotland and birchall all out at once.
    So im thinking i should replace birchall for Adcock or broughton but i really want birchall so its quite the dilemma. but i think i could still manage with all 3.
    so i need to have the least players out in r11 obviously so i can trade r12 and r13 players who have byes into players who have already had their byes. So obviously i have to rearrange my team a bit.
    Does any1 know if its possible not to get donuts without sideways trading in this period?

6. Banzai

Banzai New Member

It is impossible to avoid donuts come byes time without some sort of MPP link with the rucks. Even using the maximum allowable trades and with all your players uninjured you will still get two.

To get through the byes the best (ignoring a ruck MPP) and not 'waste' any trades you want, at the start of round 11:

- A playing ruckman from each of the 3 byes
    - 2 playing players that arent going to be traded from each bye from each of the 3 other lines
    - Of the 8 non-ruckmen left in your team, you want 6 cows that are to be up/downgraded, 3 from bye 12 and 3 from bye 13.
    - The last 2 can be anything, they are going to be your two donuts. Note here that they can both be round 13 defenders, so you can have as many as 4 premium defenders from round 13 without hurting yourself in the byes (though it does limit your flexibility in trading in the first 10 rounds).

Most starting teams will be able to be in this position come round 11, it really doesnt limit your selection much. Much more important is how it affects how you trade in the rounds leading up to the byes.

7. Stampede

Stampede Member

@Banzai - that summary is gold. I've been turning my head upside down thinking it through in other ways but the way you've described it makes a lotta sense.

8. b_frazer5

b_frazer5 New Member

As if they would make so you have to have donuts. I believe there will be a way to avoid donuts!

9. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Enjoy trying the Lycett move B_Fraser5