ROK - yes/no??

Discussion in 'AFL' started by anthak, Feb 11, 2011.

1. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

We all know he was carrying injuries last season, and he has been a more-than-proven premium over many years before then. Capable of massive scores!

He is only $440k this season.

I realise that it will be good to see how he goes in the preseason games - but at this stage, what are people thinking? Is he in anyones side, or are you staying away?

I originally had him in, but just squeezed him out to make room for someone else. But I think I may regret it...

2. boydshow

boydshow Guest

I've got him. Expecting 100+ average from him this year.

3. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Yes, locked and loaded and going nowhere bar late injury. At that price is a bargain for the scores we all know he rips out. Normally he will drop to around $400K during the season so is saving maybe $40K worth a trade?

4. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

No for me, I saw enough last season to have moved on.

5. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

I had ROK in the FWD line up until last night because I was going with a strategy of small to medium type midfield forwards. I have since re-structured and gone back to the KPF set-up with Riewoldt, Franklin, Brown and Pavlich over ROK. Wish I had enough room for ROK as well and will monitor him closely- he is very tempting at that price though.

6. stowie

stowie Moderator

Will have one of ROK or Goodes, still not sure which one to bung in the FWD line.

7. sean

sean New Member

The Swans have an Intra team match this morning so should be interesting. Wish I could go.

Will be at the NAB match next weekend though, so am keen to keep an eye where Goodes and ROK play, as well as getting to see GC - in as much as you can work out things from NAB anyway...

8. Jasmine

Jasmine Moderator Staff Member

I'm with Stowie. Either ROK or Goodes. Goodes $18,700 more than ROK. Both iron men. Rarely miss games. ROK only averaged 79 over his last 7 games. Goodes, however, enjoyed his return to the midfield and averaged 118 over his last 8 games.

Both with great historical averages. Goodes averaged over 100 for 5 seasons before last season's average of 94. ROK averaged over 94 for 5 seasons before last season's average of 91.

No to ROK for me.

9. martyg

martyg Well-Known Member

I have had ROK for the last 3 seasons, if you ever want to watch your team fail late on a Sunday Arvo hoping to get a score over a 100 from him.... go ahead and pick him... Otherwise it's a no for me.

10. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Its a complete lock for me. Last season was an aberration but as we are well informed around here, we know he was carrying an injury. Can rack those points up.

I am also of the persuasion thats its Goodes or ROK, not both. If we get assurance through the NAB or otherwise that Goodes will play significant roles in the midfield, I will squeeze ROK out and squeeze in the dual brownlow medalist. But for now ROK provides to greater value to ignore.

11. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

*too

12. Heater

Heater New Member

A huge yes for me. At his price he can't be overlooked IMO. He may have been injured last year but he still churned out some handy SC scores. Almost 1st pick for me, behind Goddard, Hodge, Riewoldt.

13. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Simply ROK or Goodes as has been mentioned.

So go into your team, put one in there, but know by R1 it could be the other who gets the final slot.

14. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

My question is, will he play less midfield time? Sydney have drafted some great young forwards/midfielders in recent years (Jetta, Lamb, Mcglynn, etc.) and it would make more sense to me if ROK's midfield time was reduced, even slightly, so that these guys could have more midfield time.

If Goodes plays midfield, Goodes > ROK, and i wouldn't want them both in my forward line this year. Although, swapping ROK in for J Brown, could work, and i just swap one into the midfield for Sydney's bye. Interesting...

15. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

I first had both of them, then i cut back to ROK only, and then last night i got rid off ROK too.

but, obviously my team will change a lot after watching NAB stuff.

Sean - if you go to the games, you will be able to see how they move around the ground, more than on TV - So you will have to fill us in!

16. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

<blockquote>Quote from sean on February 11, 2011, 08:50
    The Swans have an Intra team match this morning so should be interesting. Wish I could go.

Will be at the NAB match next weekend though, so am keen to keep an eye where Goodes and ROK play, as well as getting to see GC - in as much as you can work out things from NAB anyway...
    </blockquote>
    Reports on BF that he did not play because he was not quite ready to go, still recovering from his groin. Might be a no from me as well, unless he kills it in NAB.

17. sean

sean New Member

@anthak - Yep - will do what I can to try and work where they are playing, in as much as you can work it our from a NAB short game.

The Swans had their intra-team match today. TDL - Penny Lane - kicked 6 or 7 today and Seaby rocked it in as well. That's from as much as you can get from a facebook thread anyway. TDL was a late season saviour for me in DT last year, but you can Put down most of that to being swans tragic... as far as TDL as a mid priced player, I don't know - maybe ???

Will chuck a thread up later in the week and see what I should keep an eye out for during Swans vs GC vs GWS- if nothing else I'll learn from what you are all keen to see...

18. BJ

BJ New Member

I wouldn't be choosing between ROK and Goodes to start. You know Goodes will bottom out low mid season; he is too good an upgrade target to waste as a starter as strange as that sounds. Could cost you 100k. We all know what ROK is capable of, so I think you'll find his decision easy once we see him play. If he moves well, there's nobody at that price you could take ahead of him in good conscience. If he seems to be still hampered you won't go near him - especially if you got burned last year. AS usual it all comes down to pre-season. Make sure you watch him though, the scoring is not much of a guide if tonight's games are anything to go by.

19. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

@BJ
    Goodes doesn't seem to bottom out though. He just seems to increase his scoring in the second half of the season. Also, if he plays midfield this year, then he is currently under priced considering he can easily average 100+, and i think averaged 110-115 once he moved back to the midfield last year. So trading him in means you've probably missed the boat, and are paying a premium price for him.

20. aj

aj Member

@Ruddy: but you'd still get him though, right?

Starting with ROK at the moment. Was thinking of getting Goodsey later but this thread has me thinking otherwise. We'll see.