Ruck Strategy : GnR V MMP V Set & Forget

Discussion in 'AFL' started by crew, Mar 1, 2011.

1. crew

crew New Member

The last week has thrown up a lot with Vicary, Fraser, Paddy firing and Smith as yet non starter. This is aimed at whats peoples thoughts to the team strategy and structures in light of this as I think most not happy about using trades in their rucks duing the season.

2. crew

crew New Member

MPP* My bad

3. All of the above?
    I've gone with Sandi, Ryder, Petrie and Smith.
    With any luck will be set and forget, but if bad form/injury strike and Tippett fires early he may be an upgrade for one of the forward Moo's with Petrie to cover the MPP, and if Smith does start for GCS then he's by far the cheapest starting ruck around

4. Fez

Fez Moderator

Ryder Cox and my starting 2, still mulling over the bench but Fraser is looking a likely R3 as this year will need coin sitting on the bench and yet to establish GC R2

5. crew

crew New Member

From the Herald-Sun article (I think Walesy tweeted it)

“West Coast continued with its thrilling partnership between ruckmen Dean Cox and Nic Naitanui, with the pair combining both inside the centre square at bounce-downs and at boundary throw-ins.

At one stage Cox palmed down a centre hitout into the arms of Naitanui, who galloped clear.

Cox said the team’s unorthodox clearance tactics could be crucial in 2011.

“We’ve been working really heavily on our clearance work,” he said. “It’s probably the only time when you can’t get zones dropping back, and you can get a man-on-man, one-on-one inside your forward line.”

I haven’t got Foxtel so haven’t watched the Eagles closely. How much combined/tandem work are Cox and Nick Nat doing?

Could play to both their strengths

This was posted by Lucas on round 2 Nabcup which throws another hat in the ring..................????

6. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I've got Sandi and Ryder in at the moment, but Jolly is still in which a good chance. I'll have to see something good from Cox against the Pies to bring him into the equation. So going a GnR strategy.

R3 and R4 seem barren now but I will be waiting until closer to round 1 to see if one or two of Derrickx/Redden/Bailey/Smith firm as players who will get games. If not, then some shuffling may have to be done to get a more expensive R3 in, a la Fraser, but still probably not Petrie.

7. Zander

Zander Moderator

Hi guys, I'm only new to this site, what does GnR stand for? I have worked all the other terms out but this ones got me stuffed.

8. @ Zander

"Guns 'N' Rookies" chief

9. Zander

Zander Moderator

For what its worth, I've currently got Jolly, Vickery, Petrie and (Bellchambers or Derrickx) with Tippet in the forward line to sub in if required. I hope to not have to trade any rucks this year, and I cant justify spending the big bucks on Sandy.
    I'd rather spend the money in the midfield and get more return.

10. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

Set and forget all the way guys.....
    Cox,Ryder then Vickery,Derikx....

With Sandi being what 80k more than anyone else I've invested it in Vickery and will hopefully not have to use a trade all year, which is worth 80k.
    Richmond Rucks will be 1 of these guys in each week.
    Derikx looks good and Mobile, and Vick's gets the tick with his goals recently...
    This might change if Redden gets the 2nd spot at port, then can move some cash to the FWD line.
    But will wait and see for Rnd 1 sides.

11. @ DaBombers

You're not too worried about having a second and third ruckman in a young, average, side in your R3 and R4 spots then? Angus Graham should hold top spot at Richmond. If old Coxy gets injured in rd 11 or 16 your looking at a nut too.....

12. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

Thats the risk, that Paddy and Cox dont get injured in those rounds, if they do then trade away.... But both have pretty good endurance... Playing through niggles.

13. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Hi folks, i'm a newbie here but thought i'd weigh in on this coz of the Redden angle. Watched a live stream of the Richmond v Port game & although Redden done ok, Daniel Stewart actually spent as much time in ruck for Port & done better than Redden there & around the ground, so Port could be looking at similar tactics as last year using Stewart, Trengove & Westhoff to take some load off Brogan - Redden is still pretty raw with an immature body - so at present, my advice would be to wait & see if he even gets a game before investing in him, or you could have him sitting on the bench without getting a game!!!

14. crew

crew New Member

McIntosh wounded.....4 Weeks before he starts training again brings Goldstien / Petrie into the picture 320K for #1 ruck is not the worst.
    Also puts Daw into the picture all be it slim and not as much time as he needs. if Petrie was out for 4 then he might have mooed.

15. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

@Bearfly Where did you see the live stream? JTV seems to be rather quiet since the crackdown last year.. I have Fox Sports but they aren't showing the challenge matches!

I have Sandi Cox as my two main rucks. I would love to have Seaby in my team... he is going to be a 3rd best Ruck this year! but he is unable to sub for my main rucks due to multi team byes.

Will end up with the two tippets, ie Kurt tippet playing forward and J Tippet as benched ruck. Really hoping Kurt steps up ("ya useless lazy slackass")

16. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

@BrockyFreo - Live stream was a collaboration between the 2 clubs & sanctioned by AFL, i caught it on the Port site after reading about it early Friday arvo, not sure if Richmond had it as well? Wasn't broadcast quality, but got to see the action, & Stewart played well. Check Port site now for PTV interview with him, he's aiming himself 2 b main backup ruck 2 Broges!!! Watch this lad over the next few years, he'll be good, as will several of Port's youngsters. He could've really been given MPP F/R this season considering his time in Ruck last year, imo.

17. spud

spud New Member

Trying to run with Sandilands in R1 and R2 but I'm having a bit of trouble getting that to happen just at the minute. I need some budding coder to help me find a way to make it happen!

18. Bulldocker

Bulldocker New Member

Can't get any more set and forget than Sandi & Cox. Worth every dollar I reckon. Derrickx looks like he could get a bench spot with Smith.
    Having Sandi is also good because Freo's byes coincide with the three team bye week when SC goes in to hiatus. Therefore, he's available for every round of SC this year... so, no shuffling him to the bench will be required.
    Seen Coxy twice now. Make no mistake, he's back to his best and most importantly he is fit!

19. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Zander on March 1, 2011, 12:15
    Hi guys, I'm only new to this site, what does GnR stand for? I have worked all the other terms out but this ones got me stuffed.</blockquote>
    We're big Guns and Roses fans around here.
    My Rucks are Fraser, Hale, Petrie and TTT. Love my Midpricers!! :D

Nah, its Guns n Rookies... but im straying a little. I have Frase as my R2 at this stage. got Sandi, and two rooks including Tippett for MPP. but no forward link yet - will upgrade to it later.
    strongly considering getting Ryder or Cox in, and making Frase R3... still gotta nut that one out a bit more.

20. crew

crew New Member

Rucks are a painful lot that have small playing windows relative to other positions they seem to (as a general rule)have a longer wait for their bodies to matured enough to ruck at #1 and then the body has to withstand the rigours of the work required for a # of years. My gut feeling is even if Smith doesn't get picked on GC's week 1 (R2) that he wil come in early. Add that Fraser is good value but at his age highly likley to cop injury at some stage If your going to set and forget (which I want to do but...)then maybe bench of Petrie and Smith ?. So sex on the beach + Petrie + Smith ?. Petrie downside is age / injury, and up side is &#36; + option to MPP into forward line if required with Tiprat / Hale ect. You dont have to have forward option at start but if Tiprat fires (for example) then he's an option to trade to into your forward line wich also helps your ruck if needed