SC Perma-Captain in 2014

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Martini, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Martini

Martini New Member

When choosing players for my initial squad each year, I generally look for premiums in the 23-28 age category, as they should still be improving or maintaining their average, and look to get premiums who are older later on in the season, as they should start dropping off in average, even if they are still in the top 2-8 players in their position (numbers depend on the position, you get what I mean). This year is an interesting one then for a Perma-Captain selection. We have: -Ablett and Swan turning 30 -Watson, considered underpriced on his 2013 season, but turning 29 -Pendlebury and Selwood about to hit their peak age and games experience (Selwood maybe still a year to go...scary) -A group who averaged over 115 in 2012 and dipped back significantly in 2013: Dangerfield, Cotchin, JPK, Deledio (damn you JPK!) Along with Griffen, I see all of these guys as potentials for the topaverage this year. Is this the year the perma-captain becomes extinct? I think Swan is gone from the top 8 mids this year (in SC) but apart from him I don't know who to select right now! The biggest question is: is Ablett worth selecting in your initial squad?Will he fall down to a level where picking someone else from the start is a better choice? Pendlebury seems like this person, but as Gold Coast improves, Ablett's record could go against the usual age profile. I think I'll be going with Pendles (or Selwood maybe...or both!). Let's hear everyone's thoughts!

2. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

I've never been big on a perma-capt as such Martini. But I'll be going with Pendles and also expecting big things from Cotch - although maybe a little biased.

3. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

Hard to say between Pendles and Ablett, I mean Ablett scores higher on good days but Pendles tends to be more consistant.

4. hellsangel

hellsangel New Member

pendles for me

5. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Will have to Pendles for me, I am not starting with Ablett.

6. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

It's an interesting dilemma, Ablett's turning 30 this year which may decrease his average. That is further compounded by his potential move to the forward line. Pendles may have Beams' return to contend with... last year in the trading game, that was my big mistake. He's testing my faith, but I'll still keep Ablett.

7. jp

jp Active Member

I didn't start with GAJ last year, and boy did that hurt. True he is turning 30, but he is also a freak! Very hard to write off at this stage. Next in line for me in Selwood, then Pendles.

8. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

If ablett is still ablett-like then he will get the perma Capt/VC once again for my team depending on when he plays during the round If not then I'll mix and Match Capt/VC with the top year in/year out players and those from the next tier on a hot streak or with the weeks bestfixture

9. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

I'm going value-for-money this yr hence no ablett or pendles, im gonna try Beams as my VC cos he canscore huge, but ultimately im willing to risk a slower Captain-bonus start in favour of catching teams mid-yr with the money the top premiums lose. only players who will go UP in price is my structure. Id like to see what that can do this yr. we'll see. talk is cheap in feb anyway

10. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

I just can't imagine starting a season without Gaz! Seriously, the guy could be 40, playing full forward on a pair of crutches and I'd think of a way to justify selecting him!

11. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Guest

... ' In Ablett We Trust' ...

12. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

At this stage I have both Ablett and Pendles, simply because even if they both lose $100k prior to the byes (or whenever you'd want to upgrade to them), they're still going to be around $550k each, so you're going to need two rookies that have increased to $350k each to afford a straight 1-up 1-down trade. Most other premiums, when they drop $100k will be around the $500k mark, and that extra $50k during the season, to me, is more valuable than the extra $50k at the start. Basically, its easier to upgrade to fallen premiums who started at a cheaper price than it is to upgrade to fallen elites.

13. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

My logic is the same as yours JPK - you know you will have Ablett and Pendles as probably 1 and 2 elite mids, why not get them now and avoid the headache of the 2 down 1 up approach that will be required, while missing out on bargain fallen premiums that others are snapping up. Between them I think they'll have perma captain covered.