Stefan Martin?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Smarch, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Smarch

Smarch Member

Looking at punting Toy for Martin and just wondering what people think of his JS. Have not seen much mention about him in the forums and I want to make sure I do not miss out on a sure thing this early on.

I think Toy will come back, but after being Sub and then dropped it looks like he is not a coach favourite, even though I thought he looked OK aganist the blues.

Thoughts from anyone would be greatly appreciated, already have Lower, Heppell, Stanley, Tape, Duigan so can negate them already.

Also I know I went a bit Suns crazy in the backs but figured thats where the ball would be most of the time.

2. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

I think you'll find with Toy that McKenna is only looking at getting 10 - 12 games from him this season due to a lack of footy last year coz of schooling!
    I've been a bit impressed with the way Martin has gone about it so far, looks to be the preferred back-up to the Russian atm and has looked pretty solid down back too - not sure what his JS is like though, can never be too sure with Bails as coach!

3. dazza71

dazza71 New Member

Im pretty sure Lucas has mentioned him a few times this week, and if he was named then he may be a good thing. but im sure Lucas will confirm this at some stage

4. Smarch

Smarch Member

Thanks guys, huge help, I'm happy to use the trade if I know he will continue to get games early as I need to bolster my backline ASAP and cover myself during byes. Gives me some hope he will be up and about for a while which is all we need for him to moo. Will await Lucas and others assessment before pulling the trigger, hard to get good info in NSW so always best to ask for help with the kids.

5. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I like the look of McKernan more, but I have the luxury of waiting to see him for another week first.

6. Tanksforscully

Tanksforscully New Member

Martin's JS will be dictated by his own form. He and Tapscott have really been the only positives for Melbourne in the first two rounds - if Martin can maintain this intensity then this will go a long way to securing a spot.

Melbourne need a second versatile tall who can provide ruck relief for Jamar. Martin currently is filling this role - although I suspect that if he has a couple of bad games then god forbid Newton might get a call up to replace him given his recent VFL form.

7. Smarch

Smarch Member

Yeah they are basically my 2 options, eitherI wait and see for McKernan or go with Martin hoping he has enough JS to moo, at least a week earlier than McKernan. Sad thing it is this decision that could make a big difference by upgrade time. Other option is save the trade and hope Toy gets enough games by mid year, but hard to hold when there are so mant tasty options around.

8. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Given who you already have up back, you can afford a risk in grabbing Martin I reckon.

Who for? Well, Seb Tape probably. Looked hopelessly lost against the Blues and one wonders if he might get many more games early in the season.

But that's just me.