Team Numbers

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by TerryinBangkok, Apr 3, 2013.

1. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

So, here's the thing. An idea being floated and this is the pond. Have been partaking of a few different draft leagues and starting to get a feel for features as well as some of the positives and negatives. In a regular league you go for as many guns as you can amass and the numbers on the bench are not too critical (unless, like me, you have K. Cornes sitting there). However, in keeper leagues it is quite different as many of the rookies might not even get a run in the season you select them. They are there for the future. It is also apparent that, as early as R1, some teams in ORFFA are struggling to put a full side on the paddock. So the thought occurred, why not consider increasing our squad size? In looking at this, I discovered that Len proposed such an increase quite some time back and it never really was discussed properly. The idea was to add 4, taking us up to 30. The opportunity exists to introduce this at the mid-season draft. Everybody picks 4, plus however many you have delisted. It should not interfere with the coding for team entry too much as they will for the most part be bench players. And we do not have to follow religiously what is done in ORFFL. We can be innovators. My guess is this might ease the burden for teams with LTIs and would go quite a long way in resolving the Lilacs issue, while for others, you won't be forced to delist all the rooks you have been nurturing. It becomes more of a true keeper instead of season-to-season. Anyways, just thought I would throw this out there for y'all to have a chew on. For the record, I favour the idea.

2. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

Sounds good to me, more players to trade!!!!!! Just kidding... ;) But to be clear, these extra 4 players won't be on the field will they? Just extra's? :) Good thinking, and I'm all for it :)

3. TerryinBangkok

To be clearer...........they could be. If you didn't tie the knots hard enough. /Portals/0/User%20Images/checks%20teams.jpg

4. snoz

snoz Moderator

Yep, +1 for me......the more the merrier......or the bigger the infirmary.

5. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

I like the idea. my main concern is that it may influence the ORFFL coaches acceptance of a Champions League. I don't think that should stop us though.
    I also hope that it will not mean we will end up being forced to delist more players before each draft. I think that should stay at 4 and 2, even with increased squads.

6. graeme

graeme Guest

all the way with this one LBJ - eh, sorry with you here TiB.
    For the record one of the odd things I found about being involved in three different platforms (SC, DT, CB) and having five different teams (normal and draft) was I was cheering guys who were hurting me in another league. It was an odd feeling from someone who, like I am guessing everyone else in ORFFA, has only ever supported one team per sport. I an going to have to rethink how much fantasy to have in my life!

7. bama

bama Active Member

Agree Chels cheering for players for different fantasy leagues is killerespeciallywhen some of them are for cash and youropponenthas the same players!
    Agree with the idea of increasing the squad size, but as stated above as long as it doesn't effect how many have to be delisted before each draft.

8. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Thanks for raising this Terry, as I indicated last year this is a pet idea of mine. When I originally raised I actually had it as a rookie/reserve list that had to be promoted from and demoted to, but I think that concept just got too hard for people including me and I had put little thought into the practicality of how it might work. My thoughts at this point are that if we get this right everyone would benefit, the stronger and weaker lists equally. [span style='font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px;]We would be reducing the available pool by 72 from 347 to 275, which is substantial, and maybe it reduces the 2014 mid-season draft to what it should be, a mini topup from a much shallower pool. It means we can take more risks with a couple of picks.<br style='-webkit-transition: all 0.15s ease; transition: all 0.15s ease; color: #888888; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 20px; background-color: #eeeeee;[/img] If we keep the delist limits where they are now for the pre-season draft at 22 the cut is actually deeper and the calls will be tougher as we will have to delist 8 not 4. (Remember the delist rules are not about how many you cut, but to what number you cut) <div>
    I would suggest we raise that number to 24, so where we currently have a 22 minimum for the PSD, with a cut to 20 meaning you don't have to participate in the MSD unless by choice, we would instead cut to a 24 minimum with a cut 22 meaning you don't have to cull at the MSD. This approach would mean we effectively we have 4 more spots on the roster, but only 2 of them are keepers, the other two are force recycled and exist to provide depth and the opportunity to speculate.
    More thoughts later, just wanted to chime in, as it were.

9. Len

Fitzy wrote:
    Sounds good to me, more players to trade!!!!!! Just kidding... ;) But to be clear, these extra 4 players won't be on the field will they? Just extra's? :) Good thinking, and I'm all for it :) There is no way you were kidding :p

10. snoz

snoz Moderator

Lenh191 wrote:
    Thanks for raising this Terry, as I indicated last year this is a pet idea of mine. When I originally raised I actually had it as a rookie/reserve list that had to be promoted from and demoted to, but I think that concept just got too hard for people including me and I had put little thought into the practicality of how it might work. My thoughts at this point are that if we get this right everyone would benefit, the stronger and weaker lists equally. [span style='line-height: 18px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;]We would be reducing the available pool by 72 from 347 to 275, which is substantial, and maybe it reduces the 2014 mid-season draft to what it should be, a mini topup from a much shallower pool. It means we can take more risks with a couple of picks.<br style='color: #888888; line-height: 20px; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; background-color: #eeeeee; -webkit-transition: all 0.15s ease; transition: all 0.15s ease;[/img] If we keep the delist limits where they are now for the pre-season draft at 22 the cut is actually deeper and the calls will be tougher as we will have to delist 8 not 4. (Remember the delist rules are not about how many you cut, but to what number you cut) <div>
    I would suggest we raise that number to 24, so where we currently have a 22 minimum for the PSD, with a cut to 20 meaning you don't have to participate in the MSD unless by choice, we would instead cut to a 24 minimum with a cut 22 meaning you don't have to cull at the MSD. This approach would mean we effectively we have 4 more spots on the roster, but only 2 of them are keepers, the other two are force recycled and exist to provide depth and the opportunity to speculate. More thoughts later, just wanted to chime in, as it were. Perfect thought process LenH, i'm impressed.....must be morning hours where you are :) +1 from me

11. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

I would be in favour of an increase in squad size. However I think 4 is too many. I would rather an increase of two players to be honest. That allows for some topping up for injury hit sides, or some speculation for those who aren't injury hit .... or both. I say this because I have already done some preliminary research on the undrafted players in the pool ... and while it is only early, there are perhaps 20-25 that would be worth looking at after the first Round. I would suspect that number may grow a touch - maybe to 35 or so - in the coming rounds. What I am saying is that increasing each squad by 4 would, I feel, not achieve the greater depth that initial numbers would indicate, as many coaches would be drafting very speculative players at the end just to make up the numbers - thus not addressing any injury issues at all. Having the ability to draft two extra players though seems a better fit. 36 players drafted as a minimum (which fits nicely with my preliminary analysis of available decent talent), with more on top of that if people delist more. That means that the size of the 'decent talent pool' is more in line with the number of draft picks made in the mid season draft.

12. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

I would support a squad increase, either 2, 3 or 4 more players.

13. G-Train

G-Train Member

Lenh191 wrote:
    Thanks for raising this Terry, as I indicated last year this is a pet idea of mine. When I originally raised I actually had it as a rookie/reserve list that had to be promoted from and demoted to, but I think that concept just got too hard for people including me and I had put little thought into the practicality of how it might work. My thoughts at this point are that if we get this right everyone would benefit, the stronger and weaker lists equally. [span style='font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;]We would be reducing the available pool by 72 from 347 to 275, which is substantial, and maybe it reduces the 2014 mid-season draft to what it should be, a mini topup from a much shallower pool. It means we can take more risks with a couple of picks.<br style='transition: all 0.15s ease; -webkit-transition: all 0.15s ease; color: #888888; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 20px; background-color: #eeeeee;[/img] If we keep the delist limits where they are now for the pre-season draft at 22 the cut is actually deeper and the calls will be tougher as we will have to delist 8 not 4. (Remember the delist rules are not about how many you cut, but to what number you cut) <div>
    I would suggest we raise that number to 24, so where we currently have a 22 minimum for the PSD, with a cut to 20 meaning you don't have to participate in the MSD unless by choice, we would instead cut to a 24 minimum with a cut 22 meaning you don't have to cull at the MSD. This approach would mean we effectively we have 4 more spots on the roster, but only 2 of them are keepers, the other two are force recycled and exist to provide depth and the opportunity to speculate.
    More thoughts later, just wanted to chime in, as it were. Agreed.

14. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

anthak wrote:I like the idea. my main concern is that it may influence the ORFFL coaches acceptance of a Champions League. I don't think that should stop us though. I also hope that it will not mean we will end up being forced to delist more players before each draft. I think that should stay at 4 and 2, even with increased squads. I am still concerned about this and the effect it could have on a potential champions league. And I'm starting to think 26 is enough anyway. To fix the problem of having to drop young talent being nurtured, I believe we should be reducing the amount of forced delistings, rather than increase squad sizes.I'm also a little concerned that some coaches seem to me to consider the increased squad sizes to be likely to be introduced. Especially considering we've only heard from about half the Association in this thread. What are people's thoughts on this idea now?

15. J_C

J_C Guest

anthak wrote:
    I am still concerned about this and the effect it could have on a potential champions league.
    I'd suggest that bird has flown the coop. edit: I hadn't read the updated CL thread when I posted this. Still not super confident it will get up though.

16. Len

I am not interested in flogging a dead horse, but if someone can kick it to life I am happy to jump back on board. When it was mooted it was my belief that there was a brotherhood in the nature of the relationship between the leagues, whilst I believe that the majority of members of bothleaguesstill feel this way, comments of late lead me to fear that there is an arrogance and undue elitism in sufficient quarters of the ORFFL to kill off any systemic co-operation between the leagues at this stage.
    If coming first was all it took to gain government, prematureejaculatorswould rule the world, messily.

17. snoz

snoz Moderator

I honestly dont care about what relationship ORFFA has with ORFFL.....no offense to either side. Its a cute gimmick if & when we can compete each league against the other. The more pressing subject, bereft of any outside influence......VOTE yes or no to increased squad size from 26 to 30, with the additional players being chosen at the Mid Season Draft. As noted, I still believe the minimum of 6 delists each season stands firm. So what you say you all ~ yay/nay

18. TerryinBangkok

Before we get onto the issue of squad sizes I think we first need to resolve the question of how anyone can flog a dead horse with one hand and prematurely ejaculate with the other. Can we have the yeahs or neighs on this? Not wishing to cause any offence to the nuclear power, but American spelling gets up my nose a bit. Glad Chris doesn't fall into it.

19. melbandy

melbandy Active Member

If you PE you can say 'Look, no hands!' Problem solved Tibby.
    I would like to vote Aye for the squad increase. Otherwise the Nuffers will have to sell the team bus for a Nimbus in good condition due to lack of bums on said bus's seats.

20. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

How about we wait till seasons end to decide on squad numbers, means if ORFFL decide to cooperate we can get a champions league going, and if we increase squad numbers at seasons end then we have the new 2014 draftees to choose from! Just a thought anywayzzz