The "General" Soreness & Trust Worthy Coaches

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Dirty Dog, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Guest

Hi,

Few trades left and a couple upgrades to go.. But which coaches can be trusted and who will they rest before the finals. I lost the GF last year due to Mitchell being rested.

Who do you predict is going to be rested, it's going to be a tight comp for the top eight. And who is going to be put out to the top paddock till next year.

How are you considering this in your selections?

Cheers

2. BillyBass

BillyBass New Member

This is definitely something that we need to consider in the run into the finals. Ladder positions will dictate who gets rested, so I wouldn't expect any North, Carlton, Freo or Richmond players to be rested whilst they are still in the running for the top 8. Also look at the teams that play Melb/GWS/GC in SC finals, key players may be rested in those games. One more thing is the last round. Lets assume WC have secured a top 2 sport and Hawthorn need to win to finish top 4. Wouldn't be surprised to see WC leave half their team at home, especially knowing Hawthorn have to go hard regardless. Lots to think about there!

3. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Certainly something to watch leading up, but I think there's something to be said for the AFL giving teams that finished higher on the ladder more "repeat matchups". This should mean the Pies-WCE efforts for top 4 won't be fully known until their last matches - WCE playing Collingwood in R22, Hawks in R23. Two losses is the difference between 1st and 6th at the moment.

Teams I think that will benefit and will probably hit the finals full of running would include Geelong and Carlton who have slightly softer than average runs home.

Then again, Carlton might decide it's all too hard if they lose this week.

Personally I'm not changing my approach, go hard to the end and prepare with cover in every position if possible.

4. BillyBass

BillyBass New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Lucas on July 2, 2012, 17:18
    Certainly something to watch leading up, but I think there's something to be said for the AFL giving teams that finished higher on the ladder more "repeat matchups". This should mean the Pies-WCE efforts for top 4 won't be fully known until their last matches - WCE playing Collingwood in R22, Hawks in R23. Two losses is the difference between 1st and 6th at the moment.

Teams I think that will benefit and will probably hit the finals full of running would include Geelong and Carlton who have slightly softer than average runs home.

Then again, Carlton might decide it's all too hard if they lose this week.

Personally I'm not changing my approach, go hard to the end and prepare with cover in every position if possible.</blockquote>

Lucas, not sure if you've checked out Geelong's run home:

GC, Collingwood, Essendon, Adelaide, Hawthorn, WC, St Kilda, Dogs, Sydney.

Not exactly slightly softer than average. We all know about Adelaide and North's draws, and WC have a good run home. But you do make a good point about repeat matchups, some very tasty and important games every week.

5. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

DD,
    Excellent post!
    These considerations are what will make or break teams come finals & very few league contenders think along those lines.
    Am tanked atm but during the week will put a decent effort into looking at this.

6. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Guest

Look forward to your post F'Finger... I need an edge this yr, I've got a fishing trip to NT on my league win..

7. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

dont forget that a certain nude female streaker called Injury
    can run across the field at any time, upsetting any apple cart and even bruce doull