The True Cost of Higher Priced Rookies?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by port_leschenault, Feb 11, 2012.

1. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

For anyone with high price rookies or cheapies (M.Clarke, Cripps, Bower, Porps etc) if there's one article you should read this pre-season let it be this one: http://dreamteamtalk.com/2012/02/09...10-picks-are-now-un-selectable-in-dream-team/ . Even if it is DT, its quite relevant for SC I think.

Coniglio may be an awesome draftee but he needs to average a lot more than Shiel needs to to make him a worthwhile pick and if they average about the same, the cheaper option will save you money at the start of the season and earn you more when downgrading/upgrading. Double upside!

Of course, yes the other side to the coin is that you pick the higher risk player because you do "bank" on them scoring higher and peace of mind that they are better than those cheaper. There's always exceptions too (Swallow,Krackoeur etc).

Food for thought anyway to mull over during the weekend. :D

2. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

Very good article, very relevant to SC too.

The pre-listed GWS guys will surely be on everyone watchlist in the preseason.

3. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Good one - thanks port.

4. martyg

martyg Well-Known Member

Great read... thanks!

5. frostylane

frostylane New Member

Thanks for that article, I tend to agree.

6. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

I tend to agree too, but I don't cast Clarke and Porps in the same boat, given they are both previous proven sc scorers you are paying for that extra bit of secuirty over a rookie and rather than averaging 70, both have previously shown the potential to average 80-85.

7. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

JS and points on the board often trump cash making potential at either end of the ground.

8. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Love the maths discussion down the bottom in the comments.

Talk about leaving it to the amateurs.

Points to consider for this year:

- Is Coniglio better/worse/same as Swallow?
    - Will GWS have more points in the pie because they don't have a player nearly as good as GAJ?
    - Will Wingard get a regular role at Port?
    - Is conservatism required because of the lack of bench spaces?
    - Will your early draft pick score points on the board early in the season, and still be there as a good M6 long after the average ones have been loved and flicked (Curnow v Swallow)
    - Watch out for sleeper father sons which can be very good players but avoid the price sting.
    - Remember the age factor in terms of big bodies. Any nuff can dominate the NEAFL, but it's not the VFL like Swallow had to tune himself up in. Or WAFL/SANFL, both have plenty of mature bodies. Not sure on NEAFL, the standard looks patchy for mine
    - Never underestimate rookie priced mature players. Porplyzia and Clarke are great options, but there are others. Most teams will have both, you can't get a good balance otherwise.
    - Avoid rookie ruckmen generally unless mature aged. Rucks like a good wine take time to mature.

I agree with Hornsy's comment in terms of reliability, durability and tempo - if you want to do well overall, points on the board early is essential. Lot harder to make them coming back, even if you do get a good deal in Round 7 or 8 - it will have to possibly make up 100 points. And remember good deals tend to be available for everyone, even the penny pinchers.

Enough for now.

9. port_leschenault

10. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

Oh God DAMNIT!!!!!!!!

11. port_leschenault

<blockquote>Quote from Hornsy on February 13, 2012, 11:57
    Oh God DAMNIT!!!!!!!!</blockquote>

Too much tino time and not enough reading Walesy's training reports? :D

12. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

I remember reading an article where they said he'd completed every session. Don't remember reading anything about knee tendonitis. Must have missed that bit.