Top 20 SC Teams - Defenders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Kel, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Kel

Kel Moderator

This follows on from a post a few weeks ago and thought it opportune to update. Anyway, below are the main defenders and how many of the top 20 SC teams they are in. Definately some PODS and some 'not so PODS'.

20 - Deledio, Goddard
    19 - Gibbs
    14 - Enright, Fisher
    10 - Suckling
    9 - Scotland
    8 - Shaw
    5 - Adcock, Broughton, Newman
    3 - S Martin
    2 - B Rawlings
    1 - Johncock, Birchal, Chaplin, Hurn

2. The_General

The_General Member

Hurn and Birchall look like very good pickups to me if you need a POD.

Great work Kel.

3. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

I find it interesting that Fisher isn't in every team! And no MPP Carrazzo is equally surprising!

4. Bomber4ever

Bomber4ever New Member

Thing with Carrazzo is it puts a big strain on your bench in the round 23 Carlton bye with Scotland, Judd, Murphy and probably Gibbs all better picks.

5. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, fair call Bomber4ever, didn't think about that. I guess for those guys going for over-all it comes down to every player having two byes for the year, what round they are shouldn't really matter, just that you have sufficient cover (and I suppose the four guys you mention are better scorers than Carrazzo this season).

Lets just stick with: why isn't Fisher in every team??? He's currently averaging 7ppg better than the next best guy (Scotland), and there's only currently 5 blokes in the backline averaging more than 100ppg (although 1 is Silvagni, and there are another 5 on 98 or 99ppg).

6. Bomber4ever

Bomber4ever New Member

Agree, early in the season when Fisher was going along nicely and still at a good price, everyone seemed to flock to Heath Shaw instead. No byes left now so he was an obvious upgrade for me last week.

7. 22nd_best_on_Field

22nd_best_on_Field New Member

Very surprising for mine that Shaw is in so few of the top 20 teams,
    Would have thought he was a lock as a top 7 back man for season '11 , and would have been in 90% of top sides.

8. TheOnion

TheOnion Member

Fisher coming down in price after his awful Rd 16 so should be a great pick up by Rd 19 or 20 if you don't have.
    Broughton is the other one I don't have who (a) doesnt have a major rd bye, and (b) is capable of hitting 120 plus scores.
    Newman is also a steady defender, but just has those one or two hideous clangers every game that stop him going big.

9. petefisker

petefisker New Member

Onion - Broughton is getting his large scores, and only started getting his large scores, with barlow and mundy out of the squad, come finals when they all return he will not be running through the mid an dgoing forward for goals, he will go back to his defensive role and resume his 70-85 SC points.

10. jok

jok New Member

The 6 that have Shaw would be disappointed.

11. Kel

Kel Moderator

2 weeks ago there were 8, so most have held him at this stage. No trades? or no other options? I held him this week and Jacobs did the job as emergency.

12. jok

jok New Member

You will struggle with Jacobs this week Kel.
    Most likely scenario is that there are not too many of the top 20 with trades to burn.

13. Bomber4ever

Bomber4ever New Member

Nice work again Kel.

Suprised Heater wasn't more popular a few weeks a go.

I'm one of the ones that held onto him. Only had $7k in the bank so thought i'd sit it out and see who drops into my price range this week. Newman was the only decent option (and in hindsight perhaps I should have taken him) but havig three Richmond players in defence for R19 MBR worries me.

14. Kel

Kel Moderator

Yeah, Jacobs not much good this week. Get back Puopolo and Goddard comes back from mids so will be ok. Will most likely turn Heater into Suckling but will hold off until end of the week obviously.

15. Kel

Kel Moderator

Quick update just looking at the Newman and Shaw position. Of the current Top 20 teams 3 are holding the Shaw/Newman double (10 - Wood is Good, 11 - Reiwoldts XXII and 13 - NoIdea SCE). Another 6 have just Newman and no others hold just Shaw. Didn't double check but everyone last week had Delidio so him being out should neutralise unless someone has plenty of trades tucked away.

Prompts is the only one in the Top 5 to have Newman and Matty_C has the double. Decision time, if you have trades boys!