trades for the finals

Discussion in 'AFL' started by r, Aug 7, 2012.

1. r

r New Member

so finished 5th and need to win 4 games in a row for the bragging rights. going for 3 titles from 3 years at work.

3 trades left and $14,000

team is as follows

deledio goddard waters carazzo shaw (heath) birchall rance

gablett thompson selwood (joel) pendles priddis barlow

cox giles

dangerfield sidebottom roughead hale martin zorko goodes

i think my weakest starting players are martin rance and barlow (was thinking giles before his 177)

what are peoples thoughts on who to upgrade and to who? can afford anyone with a down grade.

was thinking franklin/beams/rioli/swan/scotland??

2. Midge001

Midge001 Member

I'd be wary of having Hale - I know he scored well this weekend, but the Hale/Bailey dilemma could see him miss at least 1 game from here.

3. Alleiak

Alleiak New Member

Rioli has been on fire but how many Hawks is too many?
    Franklin as above and playing Port is there a risk of them playing safe and subbing him?
    Swan and beams the biggest points jump from the upgrades and that's what you're after at this time of year.

My dilemma is the mids, who's the best option,
    I need a mid and have $575k max.
    Watson - $574 in form, Ess playing for finals
    Selwood - $550 in form, playing for playing for 4th? or highest possible finish
    Thompson - $510 not so inform, easy run home, extra cash for my last trade

Thompson easy run home, gives me money for a final upgrade but means nothing if the general comes knocking against GC in the GF(assuming I make it). The other two are in form and less likely to be rested.
    Any others I should consider?

Mids are: Ablett, Pendles, Priddis, Dal Santo, Rockliffe

4. don

don New Member

Would the fact Thompson is one of the favourites for the Brownlow reduce the likelihood of him being rested against GC in the last round? I know it shouldn't but...

5. dazza71

dazza71 New Member

hi all,

N Riewoldt to FYFE

sound like a good idea?? trades no issue

cheers

6. aerodyte

aerodyte New Member

My trading philosophy regarding finals is not necessarily to get the very best 22 on the park, but to ensure I have the best 30 players available.

The last 3 seasons running the premier in my league has been decided by the depth of their list, as opposed to the premiums they have.
    Thus if you're lacking cover on the bench, be wary of upgrading a "weak" but performing player -- such as Martin, Barlow or Rance -- to a premium -- say Thompson -- who can be struck down by the general.

To state the obvious, rookies and midpricers who get named are going to be more useful than super-premiums who get given a rest.

Obviously it all depends on the state of your bench and the strength of your opponents, but @r, if you're considering Rance>Scotland and have say Darley and Boumann on the bench, you might be better in the long run to go Darley>Heppel/Lake/Johnson.
    Not only would it save you a few $, but it'll stop you from putting all your eggs in the Scotland basket AND will save you a 0 when the inevitable general and other injuries turn up

7. benderiffic

benderiffic New Member

Finished on top in all 5 of my leagues in both the ladder and points, however none of the finals this week are easy.

I have 3 reamining trades should someone in my position hold fire and hope I get through seeing I was the strongest team all year and trade in prelim/GF or upgrade this week and be left with one trade?

8. spoon

spoon New Member

I have 3 trades left and here is what Im thinking:

Backs: Deledio, Goddard, Waters, Birchall, H Shaw, Carrazzo, M Johnson Bench: Heppell, Ellis
    Mids: Ablett, Pendlebury, Watson, J Kennedy, Priddis, B Mclean Bench: J Redden, J McDonald
    Rucks: Maric, Naitanui Bench: Stephenson, T Campbell
    Forwards: Buddy, Dangerfield, Sidebottom, Rioli, D Martin, Zorko, Treloar Bench: Smedts, Saad

Looking at trading J McDonald for Tom Couch (clear salary and gives me Mid/Forward Linkage)
    Trading Out Treloar to Pav / Or Beams (Want Pav cos my opponent has him, and I want to nullify him and back the rest of my squad to beat his)

My dillema is that I'm burning 2 trades, and my analyser score goes from 2620 to 2677, 50 point return for two trades and leaves me with no money left if I go Pav. But the 50 points could be crucial to being ranked 1 in the NT. Currently ranked 6th but only 120 points adrift of 1st.

Conflicting dilemmas, to trade or not to trade.

P.S my opponent has Swan so he'll only be able to do one upgrade this week at best!

9. PHIL

PHIL Member

Prioritise spoon. Comp win or NT ranking. What do you want more?

10. HotPiesColdDrinks

HotPiesColdDrinks Member

2 trades left and in an elimination final. I'm going for broke, and this week stuffed me with Swan. Gotta trade him out now, when I was going to upgrade S.Shaw to H.Shaw. I think I'll have to keep S.Shaw as a D7. I was also hoping Franklin would come back, so thinking maybe I should trade him?

Midfield: Watson, Ablett, Pendlebury, Swan, Boyd and Thompson (Gibson, Sexton)

Forward: Sidebottom, Dangerfield, Cloke, Franklin, Goodes, Martin, Fyfe (Smedts, Patton)

$3,800 in the bank.

I really wanted Pavlich and Beams, but can't afford both. If I am to choose between Pav and Beams, I think I'll take Pav.

I have 2 option for Swan.......I am either going to go Murphy or Selwood. Who would you take? I've already had Murphy at the start of the year.

Now to my forward dilemna. Do I just get rid of Franklin for Pavlich, or should I just use Patton as coverage and hope I get through to the next round and hope I get Franklin back next week, and still have the one trade left in my pocket?

11. TopHeavy

TopHeavy Member

Ended up bringing in Danger for Tippett last week and I'm pretty happy with the move.
    Still have 2 left that I will try to keep for the prelims.
    How is everyone else travelling? Riewoldt, Fyfe, Cyril wont help I'm sure

12. r

r New Member

so thanks everyone for the help last week. i brought in beams in the end.

midge i took your advice and dropped hale. yes hale scored 107 but it was out of him and martin and martin scored 125. also i dont like hale's scoring potential with franklin coming back and bailey as their number 1 ruck.

i drew my knockout final with 2530 a piece and went through to the next round. i think this was on ladder position?? 2nd draw of the year for me and ive lost 4 games by a combined total of 80 points. close competition!

anyway 1 trade and $96k left for this week with goodes, rance, barlow, giles and zorko in the gun.