Trading Strategy - injured/stalled cash cows

Discussion in 'AFL' started by easty01, Apr 28, 2011.

1. easty01

easty01 New Member

I'm interested in people's thoughts on how to deal with injured/stalled rookies.

In SC I have Coad (LTI), Lester (LTI) and Richardson (stalled) taking up space.

In DT I have Bewick & Tarrant (stalled) in the same boat.

Apart from these guys I've got pretty much all the 'must-have' rookies doing the job for me: Curnow, Heppell, Libba, Harris, Duigan, Darling, Tapscott etc plus a healthy bank balance for the start of upgrade season and trades in reserve.

So, what to do with the duds?

Swap them for rookies on the bubble if your other cash cows aren't ready to cash in?

Or hold now then combine the ones with some price increase (Lester/Tarrant) with a high priced cash cow (Heppell/Curnow) as part of an upgrade trade?

I know it's important to make money early but there's also the risk of using trades to top up rookies now and running out of trades to upgrade at the end.

Any suggestions?

2. RAR

RAR New Member

You certainly cannot afford to carry 2 LTI in one line. With at least a bye every week most weeks you will have no emergencies.

3. gogonz

gogonz New Member

The ones you've mentioned have already gone... Curnow, Heppel, Libba, Harris, Duigan et al. Unless you think they're going to be a keeper (and Curnow and Heppel are looking that way), then forget them and grab the next best thing. Cows are cows and supposed to make money. If they're not going to make $150k +, then give it a miss.

Thompson from Adel looks good in the backline. Hibberd if he's playing might be worth a crack as a mid/def.

4. easty01

easty01 New Member

<blockquote>Quote from gogonz on April 28, 2011, 11:11
    The ones you've mentioned have already gone... Curnow, Heppel, Libba, Harris, Duigan et al.</blockquote>

I've already got those guys, gogonz - all fattening up nicely with upgrade season approaching. My concern is what to do with the dud rookies.

5. gogonz

gogonz New Member

<blockquote>Quote from easty01 on April 28, 2011, 11:20
    <blockquote>Quote from gogonz on April 28, 2011, 11:11
    The ones you've mentioned have already gone... Curnow, Heppel, Libba, Harris, Duigan et al.</blockquote>

I've already got those guys, gogonz - all fattening up nicely with upgrade season approaching. My concern is what to do with the dud rookies.
    </blockquote>

If you don't have a viable option, don't trade them on speculation. You may find yourself with yet another underperforming/stalled cow and one less trade.

6. easty01

easty01 New Member

<blockquote>If you don't have a viable option, don't trade them on speculation. You may find yourself with yet another underperforming/stalled cow and one less trade.</blockquote>

I'm liking this advice ;)

Thompson is a good example. He seems an attractive option but I'm not 100&#37; convinced about his job security. May be worth being patient for a couple of weeks...

<blockquote>You certainly cannot afford to carry 2 LTI in one line. With at least a bye every week most weeks you will have no emergencies.</blockquote>

Agreed, RAR - hoping to add another premium to my defence over the next couple of weeks but will need to do something with one of Lester/Coad sooner rather than later. Perhaps use one of them as part of the upgrade (depends on the value of the cow used in the other half of the double trade)