Twitter Feed.

Discussion in 'AFL' started by walesy, Feb 10, 2011.

1. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

I've been thinking, I love using the twitter feed to post up the latest and greatest news that should affect our decision-making, however, it doesn't seem to lend itself to generating any discussion on the topics raise. So I'm thinking, until we work out something better- this thread could be that place!

Latest tweets say the Petrie is a lock. Ran out 4 quarters and looked great doing it. Gotta be the lockiest lock who's name doesn't start with a G (and play in the backline).

Also, Vardy! That's some exciting news! Hugely promising draft pick, that slide further than most would have imagined.

2. Gods_Gift

Gods_Gift New Member

Vardy is surely better than Blake. :) I would be getting games into him and only using Blake if someone gets an injury :p

3. austin

austin New Member

Loving the tweets too walesy!

Now that Petrie looks the goods, the question is whether to put him F7 or R2.
    Richardson is a good chance to make my team, but undecided on Atley. Dosen't have the experience that some of the other rookies have, and will be taking up a midfield spot. What do others think about him?

4. BrennyC

BrennyC New Member

I must say I'm loving the tweets. Only followed yesterday but during the day and my lunch break love being able to see what you post on the iPhone. Can't do much on the website with 3 coverage :(.

5. walesy

Aye, Atley is on the watchlist. Not quite high enough to be selected, but a good NAB could certainly change that!

One thing about him is that he's in the group of teams that have their byes before round 4, which means he takes an extra week to move and could be a trade-down target in week 4 if needs be.

6. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I suggest creating a twitter hashtag for the discussion.

#tooserious perhaps haha

But one per game would be better or even #tsnabcup

7. walesy

Sounds like a good idea. Sadly, it took me a while to figure out that people were talking back to me! I got no idea how the hashtags work! (man, when did I get so old!!)

8. stowie

stowie Moderator

<blockquote>Definition: The # symbol, called a hashtag, is used to mark keywords or topics in a Tweet. It was created organically by Twitter users as a way to categorize messages.

Hashtags: helping you find interesting Tweets
    People use the hashtag symbol # before relevant keywords in their Tweet to categorize those Tweets to show more easily in Twitter Search.
    Clicking on a hashtagged word in any message shows you all other Tweets in that category.
    Hashtags can occur anywhere in the Tweet.
    Hashtagged words that become very popular are often Trending Topics.
    Example: Below, @VegNews added the hashtag before the word "vegan" in their message. The word is now a link to search results for all Tweets containing "#vegan" in the message.</blockquote>

http://support.twitter.com/entries/49309-what-are-hashtags-symbols

;)

9. walesy

Gotcha. I'm all over putting #afl tags in my tweets now! :D

10. Lucas

Very simply hashtags work like this...

You tweet:
    "Petrie out for the season http://goog.add.com #tooserious"

Anyone who follows @tooserious_ will see it in their newsfeed.

Anyone who searches for #tooserious will see it in the search.

So if I respond, I can either tweet to @tooserious_ or tweet "Nah you're talking rubbish #tooserious #walesytalksrubbish"

That way you can get a direct response (the @) or a broader response - anyone searching for #tooserious would be able to read it.

The issue with using #tooserious though is that you get a lot of other traffic. It's like listening on a CB radio and hearing 3 different channels at once.

The political election ones of #auspol and #vicpol gave results out much quicker than the news outlets. Same with #tcyasi, you felt like you were in the cyclone as people were tweeting.

So, I propose we use a hash tag, but decide to use one that isn't #tooserious (as too many others are using it)

#afltooserious would work but it's a bit long.

How about #aflts #afl2s or #afl2serious

11. walesy

So, anyone hear anything on this Judd rumour yet?

12. Lucas

I wrote something on the twitterverse #tsafl

13. walesy

Ben's not gunna like that! :D