Watson...wow!

Discussion in 'AFL' started by spud, Apr 12, 2011.

1. spud

spud New Member

Okay. So this isn't about a handball happy bombers captain who finally learnt how to kick the ball over the weekend.

In fact, this isn't even related to football. But it deserves a thread of its own none the less.

Australia, or should I say Watson, just set Deshi cricket back a decade or two, thumping them in the 1dayer.

Deshi - 229/7 off 50 overs (batted first)

Australia - 232/1 off 26.0

Watson - 185 off 96!!! With 15 4's and 15 6's

All hail the great man.
    Gary Ablett? Black Caviar? Michael Jordan? Roger Federer? They aint got nothin' on Watson tonight.

If he was a Super coach player, he would have received such a large slice of the points pie that he would make Stuart Dew look like Miranda Kerr by the time he finished eating it.

2. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Still reckon he should've been given the captaincy ahead of Clarke - he's the most consistent player over the past couple of years & someone the selectors could build a team around!!!
    That being said, it's still hard to beat Black Caviar's magnificent performances - champion mare who should be allowed to take on the worlds best sprinters!!!

3. spud

spud New Member

I second that opinion, Bearfly.

I was hoping Watto was given captaincy, but will support Clarke now that he has it. I always thought Clarkes place in the side was simply because of his better half at the time...good advertising eh? ;p

Edit:

LOL @ the bowling economy figures, hahahahaha.

Ow, my ribs hahahaha.

4. Bearfly

Maybe Clarke shared her round with the selectors to ensure his place!!!!!
    Must admit, I got turned off the cricket this summer - mainly coz of the ridiculous selections - Australian cricket is rapidly going backwards & will continue to do so while the current selection panel ramain as they are!!!
    As far as i'm concerned, once you've been out of the game for more than 10 years you're too far removed from the reality of what's required to perform at international level.....

And on the same theme, the AFL needs to take the same view with the MRP & Rules Committe - the game has changed dramatically over the past 5 - 10 years, so anyone on the MRP & Rules Committee who have been out of the game for more than 10 years should be turned out to pasture!!!

5. spud

spud New Member

I'm a Hawthorn supporter...you won't get any arguments from me about removing the MRP panelists!

6. eckie79

eckie79 New Member

well reading that just made my night! if only we had batted first...we could have cracked the 500 mark! what an effort that would have been!

i totally agree watto should have received the captaincy instead of clarke...oh well...looks like we're stuck with him now!

7. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Bloody inconsiderate of Ponting to make all those runs and stop Watson having the chance to make the 200!!!!

8. Thunda

Thunda New Member

I think Clarke in the perfect man for the job, while team is being rebuilt. Clarke will just keep the seat warm, until the time is right. Then in comes Watson, just in time to win back The Ashes.

9. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Good strong name that one, definitely should have gotten the captaincy.

Guess they couldn't stand the thought of two non-NSW captains in a row...

10. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Watson is a NSW now, even if he was stolen

On the 15x4, 15x6, all I can say is postage stamp, zero opposition. Move along.

11. Bearfly

<blockquote>Quote from Lucas on April 13, 2011, 09:49
    Watson is a NSW now, even if he was stolen

On the 15x4, 15x6, all I can say is postage stamp, zero opposition. Move along.</blockquote>

Add to that a lack of anything resembling a half decent opposition!!!!!

12. silacious

silacious New Member

I hate cricket these days it is so boring to watch. I remember as a kid watching it all summer and not getting bored, but now it's hopeless.

The Innings is nothing to write home about 15 sixes in a beach cricket size field with below standard bowlers.

13. Mattoc

Mattoc New Member

Good innings, but a month to late really.

As for the captaincy do australia really want a spoilt brat for a captain. Clarke may be one as well, but at least he keeps it to himself on the field.

14. Fez

Fez Moderator

yeah it wont go down as a classic knock but no1 did that in the first game for Australia so it's no easy accomplishment