Wet Weather Scoring

Discussion in 'AFL' started by whips, May 13, 2011.

1. whips

whips New Member

Have seen a lot of discussion in all threads about the wet weather and its effect on scoring.
    Given that all SC matches are worth 3300 points in total, I disagree that player scoring will be low.
    Instead, you'd think that the bulk of the points will move away from the talls (especially tall goal-kickers)and be picked up by the premium ground level players.
    Many have disregarded the Pies and Cats midfield premiums as capt due to the wet. It might help them.
    Thoughts?

2. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

Being one of the people disregarding the Pies and Cats stars for C this week, I'll tell you that my thoughts are that the wet will even things out more. Yes, there are still the same amount of points to go around, but they're likely to be (in my opinion) more evenly spread, without many players breaking the 120 mark, if any, but probably lots above 90! I can also see a close game being with points being skewed by the small forward who snaps a late "game saving" goal. Also the subs are likely to have more of an effect (fresh legs) who will probably steal some late game points from the premiums and captain options.
    Thats just my thoughts....

3. DC

DC Member

Whips i agree..

Pendles/Swan/Selwood/Bartel would love this sort of weather...

Krak is another one that i think must be fielded this week and will score well (Similar to the game against the dogs before there bye)

4. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Bartel should rip it up in the wet. He's due for a huge one.

5. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

You're kidding Bartel due for a huge one, he's basically pumped them out all year.

He's due a 60 and hopefully the Pies clamp him right down tonight!

6. Iceman

Iceman New Member

Lucas - will the pies tag Selwood or Bartel tonight?
    Or chappy maybe...

7. LiQuiD_SiXx

LiQuiD_SiXx Active Member

Pies dont tag anyone specific Iceman

8. DC

DC Member

Iceman, Would a tag stop either of them two anyway?

No :)

9. Iceman

Iceman New Member

Tag + weather might have an influence on their scoring. Thinking Selwood as Captain due to the heavy going. With disposal % down across the board Joel might win more than his share of inside ball tonight and MEGA points hopefully

10. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Thoughts on my Captain?

Have got Swan, but thinking to steer clear of him because i'm not sure he's too great in the wet......and maybe Ling could tag him?

I know that Selwood is going to score well even if he doesn't get his 25= touches, because tackles come easy in wet weather........ and as LiQuiD_sIx_X said that pies don't tag anyone specifically...... so Selwood may play fairly well

But i have Chappy as the captain at the moment, as I heard he is SUPERin the wet.....but is Selwood a better option? Selwood may have a good game too, his 100th game......

Thoughts?

11. hippy

hippy New Member

My thoughts:

Clearances - I reckon that's the key. Like Judd against Sydney. That, contested footy, and to a lesser degree tackles. Everything else will be down: effectiveness, marks, scoring chains etc.

If it was based on those variables, who'd be best? Although I doubt it, maybe even Luke Ball's an option?

12. yt

yt New Member

i went with selwood, so far looking alright

13. hippy

hippy New Member

Great call anyone that went Selwood. I wish I'd picked up it was hundreth (before the game!). Might have tipped me in his direction. Went with Pav in the end.

14. whips

whips New Member

It was a good call in your previous post, hippy. Clearances were the key to a good score.