Will Goddard really be worth his $$$$$

Discussion in 'AFL' started by b_frazer5, Mar 18, 2011.

1. b_frazer5

b_frazer5 New Member

Having Goddard in my team really takes a lot of money out of other areas.
    Hes averaged 70 odd in pre season.

Im feeling i should not put him in and then wait for him to drop in value because i see saints doing worse this year, which will be reflected with Goddards scores.

Therefore picking him up in the mid to high 500k's

What is every one elses opinion?

2. sean

sean New Member

Well -for my money he is the best Back by about 20 ppg. The lockiest of locks for me.

Forget his pre-season. NAB means very little.

And as for the Saints - my feeling is they ain't done yet. Have Nick in the forwards without injury, and add montags, goddard, etc etc they are still going to be top 4 if not top 2.

3. crew

crew New Member

<blockquote>Quote from sean on March 17, 2011, 22:03
    Well -for my money he is the best Back by about 20 ppg. The lockiest of locks for me.

Forget his pre-season. NAB means very little.

And as for the Saints - my feeling is they ain't done yet. Have Nick in the forwards without injury, and add montags, goddard, etc etc they are still going to be top 4 if not top 2.
    </blockquote>

Who ever you bring in with the kanga saved by not having GODdard wont dull the pain of having a backman that can tear it up week in week out like he does.......Sean's right the far can lockiest of locks ...Leave out at your own peril.

4. GeneralHodge

GeneralHodge New Member

Goddard will not drop in price.

5. meataxe

meataxe Guest

IMO:

1. You have another player who you expect to outscore Goddard (ie. another captain choice),

2. You project Goddard to average 115-120, and not 130,

3. You can use the money saved elsewhere to increase your team's overall average.

If you can't satisfy all 3 of these, I think you have to select Goddard...just my 2c.

6. ELeviathan

ELeviathan Active Member

team him up with the Purple Monster as the first 2 to be picked!

7. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

He is a Lock! Ignore NAB scores.

8. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Leave him out then mosey on over and sign up for the league I am in.

9. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from b_frazer5 on March 17, 2011, 21:57
    Im feeling i should not put him in and then wait for him to drop in value because i see saints doing worse this year, which will be reflected with Goddards scores.

Therefore picking him up in the mid to high 500k's

What is every one elses opinion?</blockquote>

I did this last year.
    Goddard played very ordinary footy early in the year but still churned out 100s.
    Finally I was able to get him in later, but it came at much points expense, and it cost me the chance to upgrade another player in my team.
    Urgo have him in from the start. Realise fully that with the start he had last season (slow...) he averaged 136 from R8.

I think he could be the first player to average over 150 for a season if he really puts his mind to it.

10. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

I didnt have him last year as i thought he would drop in value and well he never did. I never managed to bring him in either. Just remember that everyone has said this exact same thing about Gary Ablett for past few years and its never happened.

If you dont think he's driven for an even bigger year the you need to listen to his B&F speech he made. Forget his preseason "form" he has been playing multiple positons and some limited game time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkLf3bkteWc

11. WooshApoc

WooshApoc New Member

I'm going to go against the tide on this one.

Yes, Goddard is a genius. Yes, he scores highly. Yes he should be in every team.

Should he be in every team from the start? I say no.

I read an interesting article recently about the way players are priced (it was on dreamteamtalk.com). The article showed the mathematical formula DT uses to calculate players scores. I'm sure SC uses a similiar system.

Consider this: Goddard averaged 130 points last year. That is ridiculous. Now, the article argues that due to the "magic number" formula used to calculate weekly prices, even if Goddard can maintain 130 this year, his value would still drop.

Take a look: http://dreamteamtalk.com/2011/03/01/the-magic-number/

12. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

@SKT,

Agree. I was sorely missing him last year.
    Recall the interview when he broke something bad a few seasons back and, despite the devastation, you could see the determination in his eyes.
    The guy is driven and will carry the team on his own back if he has to.

13. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

I'm leaving him out to start & making him my upgrade target when his price falls, he'll be one of the top scorers again but won't maintain that price.

14. Fez

Fez Moderator

WooshApoc - Based on your theory or the one you read if every player averages the score they did last year they will still go down in price it's just not for Goddard. With a player like Goddard your not looking to make money, your looking to smash home as much points as possible.

15. Moonwalker

Moonwalker New Member

I switched Sandilands for Clark at the last minute last year and couldn't pick him up until R14. Why? I didn't have the money to get him because his price NEVER came down. I don't think you want to be left in that same situation this year - it'll put you too far behind the 8-ball.

16. gogonz

gogonz New Member

If he's going to be in your final team (And you know he is), just take him now. He'll save you the trade later.

17. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Agree gogonz, is saving &#36;30K really worth wasting a trade!!!

18. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

There is much good advice in this thread. I went NOABLETT last year and was similarly burnt by the experience. I've learnt my lesson on avoiding elite SC players just on a hunch that they will suddenly forget how to play.

I think most premium players ride a SC scoring wave that lasts for more than just one year, although I have no particular stats to back this up. Leon Davis comes to mind as an exception.

But Goddard has shown for long enough that he has what it takes and he isn't about to be sent to the glue factory, you'd have to think.

19. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

This Goddard dilemma is now driving me nuts,
    I'd decided to upgrade to him a bit later but after reading though this thread now am not so sure......

20. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

It will be suicide not to have Goddard in your team from round 1. I am talking from experience as I did not have him in my team last year from round 1 and that was my biggest mistake. I kept on hoping that he would come down in price and he never did. I eventually had to burn a few trades just to get him into my side at round 9 or 10. IMO he is the first player picked in any side. He will not let you down!