would you have them in your team!!

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lethaldons, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Lethaldons

Lethaldons New Member

Hi Guys,

Does anyone else think its a joke (regardless of if you like them or not) that leon davis and brendan fevola cant find a home at an afl team, yes i know davis left collingwood but here is an all australian halfback from only last year, and no one wants him?? Also fevola is clearly one of the best full fowards in the land yet no one will touch him!!! Just frustrating that the afl no longer is about the football skills , but about looking to the future, sponsors 5 year plans etc etc,

I can see the vaild "buisness model reasons" why not to get them but slot them into any team next year and it will make that team better!!

Imagine both at a club like freo a solid full foward to take pressure of Pavlich and another quick rebounding halfback in davis , makes them suddenly look pretty damn good!!!

2. SuperCoachSuperStar

SuperCoachSuperStar New Member

Why would you want fevola in your team! Aged 30, many off field problems, be a bad influence on young players and could wreck your club.

However there is a reason to put Davis in your team. All-autralian half back. He would be espicially good to have at freo next year is meant to be their best shot at the premiership, so why not put some good players in?

3. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I would have thought Davis would get a gig easily. He would be a great fit for any team.

Fev is a different story though

4. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Davis only wants to play in WA or SA. It limits clubs, if he wanted to play anywhere there's no doubt he would have been picked up.

and Fev.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

5. Ditto to most opinions so far. Davis should get a gig but Fev doesn't have the work rate for AFL, he just dominates lower leagues with his size

6. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Davis' problem is he's limited his options to 4/18 and set his pricetag at a price that aint exactly cheap. You can't expect teams to move mountains for him, just because he's an AA. In some respects, being squad fill and cheaper is probably easier to make moves/requests (eg Ebert to PTA, Gunston to HAW)

7. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Even if you look past all the off field stuff, i don't see Fev as a good recruit. He isn't that good. Sure, he kicked a bunch of goals, but his lack of pressure means that any zone you set up will become redundant. As soon as there is one free man, the zone will crumble, all because Fev is too fat and lazy to run unless there is a chance he will get a goal. Then when you add in his age and off field problems, i wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get picked up by a state league team.

Leon is another story. Adelaide and Port are both 'rebuilding' and wouldn't gain anything from recruiting him. West Coast and Freo are keen on making finals, and potentially going far. Which ultimately means they have a dead weight on their list for the important part of the year. All we heard all year was how Leon 'never missed a kick in' and how good he was. That final against Hawthorn he was terrible. Varcoe destroyed him in the GF as well. The way i see it, if finals were included, Leon may not have made the AA team.

On the other hand, if a team picks up these players in the draft, they have to give them a two year contract. If they get them in the PSD or rookie draft, they can sign the to a one year contract. I think that's what we may see.

8. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

well noone picked them.