TooSerious

For those who take it way too seriously

Alright guys, Ive had a couple of people ask me about the EPL stats the weve historically tracked, and Ive some bad news.

I highly doubt that we will be running salary predictions on the EPL comps this year. (Unless someone can get me the time over the next two weeks to set it all up!)

or yanno, if we get maybe a truckload of people innundating the comment here with calls for me to collect them.

Having said that, Im still going to be partaking in the off-season frivolity until at least the Pre-season starts back up! :D

As such, I figure Ill set up a TS league for anyone interested in having a crack.

Firstly, the official EPL comp- http://fantasy.premierleague.com/
Use the league code: 574545-174762

Or for those more comfortable with the Virtualsports method of salary movements, Ive also set up a league for their comp
http://epl.virtualsports.com.au/
League code: 239825

So there we go. If youre interested in jumping on board, then get in on it- it should be a little bit of something to get you through the off-season! :)
Sorry Walesy for bumping the EPL.  If you want to enjoy that comp: <a href="http://tooserious.net/?p=600">http://tooserious.net/?p=600[/url]

But its now crunch time and time for some Best Buys.   Keep your eyes out for selection issues this week.  Chapman and Ballantyne are already scratchings, and with players like ROK and Montagna also under the gun, its going to be an all important selection session tomorrow night, particularly for Comp leaders (and players like Chris and Woody).

My one piece of advice is try to get a playing emergency as even when players are selected they are no certainties to play - they can be late withdrawals.

Anyway, on with the show:

No use cash cowing unless you have 5 trades, maybe if you have 4 and some cover.  So Im just going to put two columns this time - "If Money is no object" and "Best Value".  All should be aiming to get 100 points this week or more - all these guys are capable of that.

DEF
If Money is no object:
1) Goddard - the best defender bar none
2) H.Shaw - in ripping form, not getting the tags thanks to Toovey / role clarification.
3) Broughton - why would you have not got him at 83k?
4) Enright - on a purple patch
5) Hodge - because hes Hodge

Best Value:
1) Drummond (427500) - paper thin hamstrings but no better kick in the league.  Love watching him play - his kicks travel twice as quick as others.
2) Newman (463100) - generally solid.  No touches, but loved by Champion Data
3) Lockyer (434100) - but does better in Pie defeats...?
4) S Fisher (398200) - could still turn it on with Gilbert missing a bit of footy
5) Grimes (433400) - thought he was gone...but hes BAAACK

MID
If Money is no object:
1) Ablett - cheapest he will ever be, will eat Carlton up
2) Montagna - the best of the Saints - buyer beware though - COULD BE INJURED!
3) Swan - the real deal this year, though Id prefer him after the Crows game
4) NDS/Hayes - cant split them.  Saints have a cruisy run.  Get on...
So, we dont normally talk about non-fantasy issues here at Too Serious, but theres been a lot of talk about it recently, and having a voice here, I cant help but say my piece.

As I see it, the major issue revolves around one point.

A club can recieve a long term gain though a short term failure. And that is the crux behind the issue.

I reckon the AFL sees this, hence they cut the priority pick back to two seasons of failure. Which is a good start, however, I dont think theyve gone quite far enough.

I believe that the current system is in place in order to enable the "bad" teams to improve, and keeping the system cyclical so that teams can move up and down over time.

However, looking at this year, if the ladder stayed as it is, last years grand finalist would be getting a better draft pick than a team that would be missing its 5th final series in a row.

So, Ill pose the question - What makes a successful season? The obvious answer is - A grand final win.

Being from a struggling bombers outfit, I would go out on a limb and say - making the finals.

So, can we play with this? What if we made the finals decide who got the draft picks?

What if we created a system that sent the higher draft picks to those clubs that have been struggling over a prolonged period of time?

Follow me here, cause this is the crux.

What if the draft order was determined by how long a team has been out of the finals series? (draws in that time would then take this years results into it).

Essentially, if this year stopped right now, the draft order would be as follows.

<!--more-->Richmond (8 seasons)
Essendon (5)
Melbourne (3)
Fremantle (3)
West Coast (2)
North Melbourne (1)
Sydney (1)
Hawthorn (1)

Port Adelaide
Carlton
Brisbane
Adelaide
Collingwood
Bulldogs
Geelong
St. Kilda

The net result would mean - It doesnt matter if a team tanks! It will *not* help them in a single season to tank. For Melbourne to win games, or for Richmond to...
Its a quick review this week. The TooSeriousLegends have dropped into 3rd! Carn boys, its finals time. Lift! Dont make me hook in a midi-version of Shanon Nolls into the website!

Kismet however, has leaped back into the lead with a solid 2474.

Meanwhile, I hear that 4th placed Virginia has gotten herself onto the Footy Show. :D

If anyone has youtube goodness of it, I would love to see it! :D

As for the champs league, Bray, you out there mate! (or anyone in that league really) Send us a screenshot! :D

Anyways, onto the big news Buster Goodthing! moves into first with a massive 2621! Keep it up son!

And the Woodyman is also starting his charge up the ranks and into the top 5!

Carn boys, do us proud!

arg... need to write more, but simply dont have time! will see what I can do later tonight... maybe. :)
And man, am I glad I didnt suggest Judd as captain... :) Now who wants to put money on either a 100pt second half, or Selwood pulling out late? :D
Righteo, we are one week out of the finals. So is your season over? gunna squeak in? or dominating you league?

Myself, I might squeak in maybe in one league, might make the top 4 in another (or go out if things go badly!), and am dominating the third... so its a mixed bag. :)

Anyways, tragedy struck this week! The TooSeriousLegends dropped down to 2nd place. They didnt do too bad, but sadly, there we a *lot* of big scores out there this week, and we didnt seem to get our fair share of them... ah well, heres hoping we can pull together got the finals. :)

Anyways, Liveforthepies snuck back into the lead with a massive 2513 taking her overall ranking up to 187. But with only 113 points seperating 1st from 5th, its anyones game! (Then it drops off to me in 6th and probably too far out to challenge...)

The top score for the week went to Lings Bandits (reckon thats the same one Lucas?), with a decent 2718. And I gotta give a shout out to a fellow BigFooty NP - 54Dogs who came in 9th for the week. Top effort mate!

The overall is tightening up with the leader PK Le Grand consolidating his lead with a 2511, but still within arms reach of TS favorite Buster Gonad who held steady in 3rd. Meanwhile the Woodyman is hanging in the top 10, and with 5 weeks to go, is definitely not out of the hunt. Carn lads were rootin for yas!

This weeks top scorer went to Geelongs Joel Selwood for a telling 185 in their 1 point win over the Hawks.
Jolly rewarded those who have him, scoring an elite 169 - and getting has average to a more than solid 169. That Jolly White Currie is looking delicious (cept for White 4!! :D)
The Heater pulled a tasty 161, rewarding those coaches who jumped on him in round 12.
And Bock returned a solid 155.
Goddard rounds out the top five with a 152.

The dissapointments (as always, in no particular order)
Hodge and his 53. Not only did a lot of people trade into him this week, but resident poster Lucas warned all against him! Still, with...
Well, the blues got smashed... Swan did well and those other guys did stuff...

I promise to get my comments more together tomorrow... :)

How round 17 going for you?
OK its time for some Best Buys.  Its almost finals time, with 2 rounds to get your teams in shape for the run home.  If you need to trade to get into the finals, then of course do so, but otherwise, its selective trading that will make all the difference come Prelim/Grand Final Day.

Please refer to the draw for SuperCoach finals.  Its a real important consideration:
<table style="width: 223pt; border-collapse: collapse;" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="296"><col style="width: 48pt;" span="1" width="64"></col><col style="width: 40pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1938;" span="3" width="53"></col><col style="width: 55pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2669;" span="1" width="73"></col>
<tbody>
<tr style="height: 15pt;">
<td style="background-color: transparent; width: 48pt; height: 15pt; border: #d4d0c8;" width="64" height="20"> 
<td class="xl87" style="border-bottom: windowtext 0.5pt solid; border-left: windowtext 1pt solid; background-color: yellow; width: 175pt; border-top: windowtext 1pt solid; border-right: black 1pt solid;" colspan="4" width="232">[span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;">Supercoach Finals

<tr style="height: 15.75pt;">
<td style="background-color: transparent; height: 15.75pt; border: #d4d0c8;" height="21">
<td class="xl73" style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #92d050; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid">[span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;">Week 1
<td class="xl74" style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #92d050; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid">[span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;">Week 2
<td class="xl74" style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #92d050; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid">[span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size:...
Stats are up!

Well, had a good week again. Moved up roughly 200 spots. Which aint too shabby! Lucky to avoid a couple of the nastier scores that jumped up this week, and caught a few of the good ones!

The TooSerious Legends stayed in first place, by the Best of the best caught up 1,200 points! moving them just about EDT2

Kismet extended his lead on the overall, however, the Krazy Kripples once again scored the highest score for the round! (3 of the last 4 weeks theyve done the same! - watch out!)

The Gonad busters dropped down to third, not because of a *bad* score per-say. Heck, a 2398 is a *good* score. However, first place scored 2683 (Le Grands Legends) while second scored 2555 (Cardinals). Massive scores at the top end this round! Particularly since Le Grand came 8th in the overall this week, while first took the thousand with a 2723.

The Woodymen also made it back into the top 10 with a solid 2515. Quality work the both of you!

Now, the stats, they wont be going up til tomorrow morning (Ill get them up pretty early), but just a quick review of this weeks best.

ROK - A star! 185 is a massive return to the boy!

Jason Davenport - Brings in a delicious 168! Quite a good rookie if youre lucky enough to have held onto him!

Joel Selwood - Finally returns the faith weve had in him over the past few weeks of disappointment with a lovely 161.

Daniel Rich - The second rookie in this weeks top Five! A beautiful 149 would have punished all of those who traded him out to Pendles.

Lenny Hayes - Bouncing back from last week with a solid 146.

The biggest dissapointments of the round would be as follows. Didak. Bruce. Kirk. Watson. Tuck. Drummond and Davey.

Heres hoping you didnt have too many of those guys. :)
While Ild like to blame the refs, the Dogs are a good team, and as with the Pies a few weeks ago, we simply got beaten by a better team.

Full points to the dogs.

But, what we care about is the SuperCoach scores, so lets look at that.

Hahn did great for those who have him, outside of that though, Higgins, Lake, Stanton and Paddy did very well for themselves.

Nothing overly suprising from tonight, cept for Lucas putting in a SHOCKER!! :)

Anyways, let us know how youre doing this weekend! Hes hoping that injuries treat you well!