TooSerious

For those who take it way too seriously

<blockquote>Luckless Eagles big man Dean Cox found out yesterday that the finger he dislocated in a ruck contest at the Gabba on Saturday night requires surgery. Cox had been hoping that dislocation was only minor, and that he would be able to play regardless of the injury. However, the Eagles medical staff informed him yesterday evening that the finger did require minor surgery and that he would be facing a 2-3 week lay-off.

This comes as a shock to the Eagles coaching staff, who watched Cox win All Australian honours playing with a broken bone in his foot last season, as well as start this season with a fractured cheekbone he suffered in pre-season training. Nevertheless, coach John Worsfold did admit it worried him when Cox was unable to mark with the affected hand at training yesterday. "Dean [Cox] copped a knock on the finger in a ruck contest down in the back pocket on Saturday night. We are still hopeful that he will be right for Sunday though," Worsfold said to the media after training yesterday.

Worsfold will not be impressed by the news that his star ruckman is now facing more than two weeks on the sidelines, as potential replacement, number two draft pick Nick Natanui is still three weeks away from fitness with a knee injury. This leaves the Eagles with only one recognised ruck option in Mark Seaby, although full-forward Quentin Lynch has occasionally been given ruck duties in the past. </blockquote>

You be the judge...
Okay, here it goes, I have no chance of giving you the right answer, but I will do my best.

<!--more-->

1. I dont have Andrew Raines or Liam Anthony.
Go f**k yourself, you lucky prick.
My Verdict: Just leave a comment in this blog reading "Suffer in your jocks" and bugger off.

2. I dont have Andrew Raines, but I have Liam Anthony.
Most definitely trade Liam Anthony, but save it until next week.
My Verdict: Trade Liam Anthony for Robinson, next week.

3. Andrew Raines is my 7th back, and I dont have Liam Anthony.
This is a pretty easy decision. Since you havent been a rookie on the ground. Simply play one of your current rookies, and trade in the best rookie, with the lowest breakeven next week. If you dont have any playing bench players, look at players like Gilbert, Hurn, Pettard and Head.
My Verdict:
Trade for Kyle Cheney before round 3.

4. Andrew Raines is my 6th back, and I dont have Liam Anthony.
You most definitely dont want four rookies in your backline. If Pettard is your 7th back, got for a rookie. If your 7th back is Hill, well look into a sideaways swap for either Gilbert, Hurn, Pettard or Head. If you have coin, you might as well upgrade him and forget about it but I would imagine most wont. But, most definitely dont pick 4 sub-$150k players, as only 5 got a game in Round 1. Benching Raines is also worth looking into here.
My Verdict: Trade for Ricky Pettard this week.

5. Andrew Raines is my 7th back, and I have Liam Anthony.
Trade Raines this week, worry about Anthony next week. I would look at downgrading Raines to either Kyle Cheney (119) or Jared Petrenko (65) depending on your current set up. That gives you a couple of choices with Liam Anthony, but I think the best would be a straight swap with Robinson if he gets named round 3. If you have coin, I would also look at trading Liam Anthony for Travis Tuck this week.
My Verdict: Trade for Kyle Cheney...
Wow, picked the wrong week to go to a wedding! I see the Supercoach feed has been supplying rubbish all weekend!

Damn them and their sneaky sneakiness!

Ah well, if I can work something else out for you guys, I will- But if it turns out that I cant figure something out, then well all have to pour some on the curb for an idea that would have been full of awesomeness.

Anyways, preliminary guesses see a week one score of 2250 - which makes me happy.

The highlights on the team is Ablett as captain, 700 points coming from the back line, Krakour, Skippy and Higgins all smashing it in the forward.

140 to Higgins! HUGE!

And finally, Robbo and his 109 coming on as an emergency for Anthony... niiiice.

The bad though - Anthony and Raines getting injured... oh the pain!
Deledio and Selwood doing a little under performing... But certainly nothing to worry about.

And finally, my Unique ruck division (TM) of Hille and Petrie both scoring less COMBINED than either Ottens or McIntosh.

Ah well, live and learn. :D

How did you all go?
Howdy all.

Its time for some Round 1 Talk.

Already Im 0/1 for my Tips.

Happy happy to have the footy season back!   How are your teams going?  SuperCoach preferred, but if you want some DreamTeam action Im sure theres enough fans here to chat.

Poor Cousins.   If any result and the injury sustained would drive a man back to the addiction it would be this.  Hope it all works out for him.
Alright guys, this will probably be my last post until after lock-out.

Some selfish brother-in-law of mine is have a wedding this weekend. (Of all weeks!)

So I wont be around here to fix anything if it goes wrong.

I can however give you something new to break while Im gone.

The Gameday tab

Under here, provided all goes to plan (and doesnt break while Im away!), will include all sorts of handy information under pre-game, and live statistics while the game is happening.

The pre-game tab currently hosts the following information.

The top 5 players for each team in the following categories:
- Highest average for the season.
- Highest average over the last 3 games.
- Highest average against that particular team in the last 3 games.
- highest average at that ground over the last 3 games.

It also has weather report that will for the most parts be updated daily (unless Im at a wedding!).

The live tab will contain live Dreamteam scores and semi-live Supercoach scores (ie- quarterly updates).

An added benefit here is that any players on you team, or watchlists, will be highlighted for ease of viewing.

Theres also other assorted plans for this screen in the future, but hey, Ive had a team to plan!

I would love to hear any suggestions in the comments.

Good luck all - and may all your team be named.

(ps- dont trust the 160 minute malestrom! Its gunna be chaos!)
OK heres a weblink you might be interested in

This doesnt really tell you much you dont already know, but its a nice checker for peace of mind, and includes all SuperCoach stats for the NAB Cup and NAB Challenge.

Before you look at the link, my final warning - most guns didnt play full games in the NAB Cup/Challenge, meaning scores for average players is inflated, and scores for guns is probably slightly depressed.   Now that the warnings over, get into the stats.
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">[span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';"><a href="http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/files/supercoach%20nab%20scores%20(2).xls">[span style="color: #800080;">http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/files/supercoach%20nab%20scores%20(2).xls[/url]
Theres an <a href="http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/73538/default.aspx">interesting article[/url] over on afl.com.au at the moment, detailing Assistant Coach, Barry Mitchells take on the Fremantle list.

As we all know, your lower end teams are where you can find a lot of value. So heres a few things in particular that stood out.

<blockquote>Hayden Ballantyne
Had to have an operation on his wrist, so while his improvement from thats been a bit slower than wed hoped we still think he can play in the early rounds.

Paul Hasleby
Coming back off that knee were really pleased with how hes gone. Hes played a bit off half-back and the wing, but hell start moving into the midfield now.

Stephen Hill
Hes a natural player. Hes got good skills and he tackles well. Hes slightly-built but were really pleased with what we got with Stephen. Right in the mix for round one.

David Mundy
Hes been very impressive this whole pre-season. I dont think hes missed anything and hes a very smart user of the ball. Hell play predominantly midfield for us this year.

Matthew Pavlich
Hes had a couple of little hiccups early on, but hes got through most of the work and I think hes just ready to get started. Will rotate between the forward line and push midfield when needed.

Aaron Sandilands
Hes trained really well and hes obviously so important to us. Hell develop his forward game, just depending how often he goes down there, because he will spend most of his time in the ruck

Nick Suban
Played our last three games and did some nice things – really used the ball well. We hope that he can get some games, but hes just a kid playing against guys that have done four or five pre-seasons.

Chris Tarrant
Hes played well defensively for us and then been able to push forward and kick goals too, so its interchangeable with Chris. With his...
The astute punter would have noticed the copy button that popped up last week. Sure, its not perfect, and requires a little work in excel to make it do what you want... but its a rough copy.

Whats more than a rough copy, and something a quick user would have noticed is the new calculator buttons next to everyones name.

Thats right! Salary predictions are now up and running. Sure, they wont be 100% perfect (since its the players scores that drives the calculation), but it should be fairly close and will be close enough to give you a rough idea of what to expect.

So give it a bash and enjoy
(And if you really want to try breaking things, throw letters in- my world class error handling falls over beautifully. :)) (though negative values are working correctly this year.)

And finally, to the select few that have been testing the live scoring. Ive fixed a lot of bugs in there, so it should be up and running for round one. But of added benefit will be the pre-game pages. Which, well- its too Friday night to finish, though they will be up by next week.

Enjoy all and have a good weekend.
And may all your smokies not be injured in training...
After some quick research on the web, Ive found out that BHAJ means "to share, to possess".  So with great pleasure I give to you (share) the chance "to possess" a four-of-a-kind hand winner that could get on the nerves of your opponent round 1.   Its not my team yet but its shaping as a real contender.

BHAJ - Bartel, Hodge, Ablett, Judd.  All in one team.   Yes, thats right.

Weve seen a lot of debate about whether to pick the Great Man, Gary Ablett Jr, and a few people have gone either way.  To be honest after seeing him give my Magpies a good flogging, Im willing to consider again that the price might be right.   I mean I can hardly complain when hes carried my team singlehandedly the last 2 years.   Time for respect and payback.

A SuperCoach legend in the last few years is the Brownlow Medallist of 2007, Jimmy (dont call me James) Bartel.  Knocks out points like Boonie knocks down beers, particularly at the Cattery.  Bartel always picks himself in SC, and after selecting Kirk ahead of him last year costing me a chance at the big $, dont I know it.   So this time youre in from round 1 Jimmy.  Dont let me down.

One man won Hawthorn the Grand Final last year, a guy with weak hamstrings and carrying a bit of extra bulk.  And it wasnt that "I can haz cheezburgers?" loafer from Port Adelaide, but the general of the defence, Luke Hodge, who put in a sterling performance.   Though hes always under an injury cloud, he always racks up the points.  Yes to Hodge, youre in too - but banished to the backline.

The man who "works for Visy but doesnt work for Visy if you know what I mean" Chris Judd, has now silenced the critics who thought his OP operation was just so he would enjoy better experiences with the better half.  Judd, at his best in 2006 was amazing in Supercoach, and after a year trying to carry the Blues, the reinforcements are coming.   And so will be the points.  Climb aboard the team Mr Judd.

What can be perceived in...
The juvenile in me wants to make Cox jokes all day long.

The serious poster in me will refrain from that.

My attention has recently been drawn to <a href="http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/sport/afl/story/0,26633,25188152-5016215,00.html">this[/url] article.

<blockquote>The reigning Eagles club champion fractured his left cheek in a heavy collision against Adelaide in Alice Springs late last month.

Scans confirmed a fracture, but surgery was ruled out and he was given the all-clear to play in Round 1.

The 167-game veteran has eased back his training, heavy running and travel commitments in the final stages of his summer preparation. </blockquote>

Apparently, the surgery would have had him out for the first two weeks of the season. Which is why theyve opted not to take that route.

So, is Cox still worth his 600k+ price tag? or is he still the only game in ruck-town? Does a Ferrari with a busted headlight still go just as fast?

Also, to avoid confusion with the pre-season scores, Ive now created a Preseaon-score button on the main page so that you can toggle them on and off... enjoy.