2018 AFLW Discussion

Discussion in 'ORFFW' started by TheTassieHawk, Feb 4, 2018.

By TheTassieHawk on Feb 4, 2018 at 9:31 AM
  1. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

AFLW season 2 sees a GF rematch in Round 1 and a 7 week plus Grand Final length season, as per 2017. Expansion is set for 2019 and 2020.

The first ever AFLW prospectus is out now, and discussion has commenced about getting a draft/keeper league up and running for the 2019 season so register your ideas and interest below as needed.
    -------
    2018 Round 7 AFLW fixture
    GWS vs Brisbane, Fremantle vs Carlton, WB vs Melbourne, Collingwood vs Adelaide

Too Serious AFLW Round 7 All Star Squads (those who made the 2018 AFLW All Stars in red)

Team Marinoff - E Marinoff, D Pearce, C Gum, E Blackburn, K Donnellan, J Stanton, A O'Connor, J Lambert, B Jakobssen, C Molloy, H Miller, K Loynes, S Frederick-Traub, J Wuetschner, Sarah Hosking (aka GGDoL), H Scott, J Dal Pos, B Toogood, B Lochland, T Harris (replaced in selected side by Shelley Scott)

Team Eva - A Eva, C Randall, E Kearney, K Lutkins, E King, E O'Dea, E Bates, A Farrugia, A Anderson, K Paxman, E Phillips, K Brennan, J Barclay, C Staunton (replaced in selected team by Jasmine Garner), E Antonio, D Hooker, L Pearce, J Duffin, C Edwards, N Barr

Note C Bernardi (Coll), E McKinnon (GWS) and M Downie (Melb) did not get selected for Team Marinoff or Team Eva but were selected in the 2018 AFLW All Stars

• Like Like x 4

Comments

Discussion in 'ORFFW' started by TheTassieHawk, Feb 4, 2018.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.
    1. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      as previously posted in the Marble Bar Misfits thread

I reckon most stuff can be organised fairly quickly by 2 or more people after the 2019 AFLW fixture is released (likely late October 2018) and a draft carried out pre or post Xmas 2018

I think one of the most critical would be determining the appropriate scoring system which may not be as simple as it sounds so might be worth "trialling" during this years comp.

Option 1 - AFL Fantasy points data on twitter seems limited to the top few scores
      https://twitter.com/championdata?lang=en&lang=en
      Does anyone know if all 42 players scores are posted anywhere on the net ??

Option 2 - Similarly Draftstars are running an AFLW comp in 2018 with the following scoring system.
      http://blog.draftstars.com.au/news/afl/pick-aflw-team/
      Kick = 3 points, Mark = 3 points, Handball = 2 points, Goal = 6 points, Behind = 1 point, Tackle = 4 points, Hitout = 1 point
      Free Kick For = 1 point, Free Kick Against = -3 points
      Similarly are their scores published anywhere after each game??

Option 3
      - With the exception of FF and FA all other stats are shown on the AFL match page, so a hybrid scoring system might be a 3rd option if the preferred option above doesn't continue or its scores aren't easily accessed or the league participants prefer different weighting
      http://www.afl.com.au/womens/matches/match-centre?matchid=103430101&competitionid=10343
      • Like Like x 4
    2. Bandit
      Bandit
      I'm keen TTH... my very brief thoughts

We will have 10 AFLW clubs by then, with another 4 jumping on the year after. 27 active players per club list = 270 players in the draft pool next season.

My suggestion: 15 teams of 12 players per side (3D/3M/1R/3F, no bench, and two extra players on the list for injury, rotation etc), expanding out to 16 players per side the following year. That's 66% of the player pool covered off

Top 5 play off in good old fashioned VFL top 5 style.

Scoring system can be determined.
      • Like Like x 3
    3. Len
      Len
      Something resembling addicts structure might work, and is already a ts structure
      "the teams will have 15 players each, 8 onfield, made up of 2 Def, 2 Fwd, 3 Mids and a Ruck, plus 7 reserves"
      That said Les did intimate we could make it what we wanted

Biggest trick will be getting a scoring mechanism, if one doesn't exist officially by then we'd need to draw from official stats, create a spreadsheet and either give to Les for upload or score offline. Hopefully one exists as I am also super keen..
      • Like Like x 4
    4. That KI Guy
      That KI Guy
      Yep, count me in.
      Hopefully the general ground swell of the AFLW continues and CD/VS get onboard.
      • Like Like x 4
    5. dmandrews
      dmandrews
      I would like to take part.

Hopefully an official AFL W game starts up for the 2019 season, not just for the scoring component, but also for assigning player positions. The AFL Prospectus had more players assigned as pure midfielders than I expected, for example two AFL W captains in Chelsea Randall and Stephanie Chiocci were both listed as pure midfielders in the AFL Prospectus however in the AFL Record Randall and Chiocci are both listed as midfielder-defenders.

A squad composition similar to tsAddicts as Len as mentioned should work well for a Too Serious AFL W keeper league. How many teams are in the league might be impacted by how the AFL Women’s fixture evolves with the expansion from eight to 14 teams in the next couple of seasons. With how short the season is I think finals would have to be restricted to four teams with all finals being sudden death, so 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 with winners to meet in the GF which would probably limit the league to 10 or 12 teams.
      • Like Like x 3
    6. anthak
      anthak
      I'd be keen to play in this.

With such a short season, I think maybe we should just have a grand final, and the the remaining weeks of the season would determine how many we have in the league. Like if its a 9 week season next year, then have 1 week for the grand final and make it a 9 team league so we all play each other once.

I think scoring should be whatever is easiest. At this stage I'd say easiest to use draftstars system because its already "out there"... is that the same scoring as AFL Fantasy anyway?

I'm missing the AFLW this season. I went to several games last season and loved it, but Ive moved during 2017 and its a lot harder for me to get to games now which is a shame. I'm a Collingwood fan in this comp and am looking forward to when they travel up to Brisbane in round 6, cause I'll be there with bells on :)
      • Like Like x 2
    7. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      For the mens game AFL Fantasy and Draftstars scores appear to be the same as they are shown that way in the prospectus. I am not sure whether this extends to AFLW.

Regardless the Draftstars formula is very basic (as per above) and I would prefer to see what fantasy games are around next season and either take the best of a poor bunch scoring system wise or develop a hybrid that weights some of the more advanced stats more highly than the draft stars system, it would require some form of compiling stats data or preferably scraping from the AFLW website but might be worth the effort if scoring is more able to differentiate quality from quantity.
      • Like Like x 4
    8. TheTassieHawk
      • Like Like x 1
    9. anthak
      anthak
    10. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      With the Dees losing last night the Bulldogs and Lions are now clear of the pack at 3-1, having already played each other in Round 2.

Melbourne still control their own destiny with games against both teams in the 3 remaining rounds, however they are a fair way behind Brisbane on % and a looooooong way behind the Dogs so would need them to lose 2 games out of 3 to overtake them.

I was thinking we could stage a 2018 AFLW All-Stars match using Draft Stars scoring in Round 7, through compiling DraftStars scores across the first 5 rounds and having coaches who have expressed an interest in participating in 2019 band together to select 2 squads from a 40 player All Stars pool.

Let me know who is interested.
      • Like Like x 1
    11. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      I have pulled some stats from the AFLW stats page and calculated some draftstars average from the stated formula

ALLstars1.png
      • Like Like x 2
    12. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      part 2

ALLstars2.png
      • Like Like x 3
    13. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      Positions stated above are Draftstars positions (thanks to @dmandrews) and be mindful that players who did not play in Round 5 are excluded from the 60 player shortlist.

I have thought about a range of All Star Game format options and thought the following may work well
      - 2 teams of 20 players based on ORFF* team format (4D-4M-4F-1R-2IC plus emergencies on each of the 5 lines)
      - Draftstars scores for Round 7(or calculated Draftstars scores using stats form the AFLW stats page) with no captains
      - Team names to be changed to "Team Smith" and "Team Jones" based on the players drafted at picks 1 and 2 in the draft
      - the 6 coaches to express interest so far in the 2019 AFLW comp have been split evenly into the 2 coaching panels
      - more TSers can participate in the draft by nominating below prior to the draft commencing at 6pm on Wednesday 7th March
      - picks and double picks to be taken within a maximum 6 hours (excluding an 8 hour excluded period between 11pm and 7am Melb time)
      - a snake draft can be be used to pick the 40 players as follows

Team 1 - edit = Team Marinoff - 1, 4, 5, 8, 9 , 12, 13, 16, 17, 20, 21, 24, 25, 28, 29, 32, 33, 36, 37, 40
      Which may end up something like
      - @Bandit to take pick 1, 12 and 13 and 24 and 25 and 36 and 37
      - @That KI Guy to take Picks 4 and 5, 16 and 17, 28 and 29 and 40
      - TTH to take PIcks 8 and 9, 20 and 21 and 32 and 33

Team 2 - edit = Team Eva - 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15, 18, 19, 22, 23, 26, 27, 30, 31, 34, 35, 38, 39
      Which may end up something like
      - @Len to take picks 2 and 3, 14 and 15, 26 and 27, 38 and 39
      - @dmandrews to take Picks 6 and 7, 18 and 19, 30 and 31
      - @anthak to take picks 10 and 11, 22 and 23, 34 and 35

Any undrafted player from inside or outside of the 60 player shortlist above can then replace any drafted player once Round 7 AFLW teams have been named. Both teams are then required to finalise and name their 20 player squads by 1pm on Friday March 16.

If you have better/simpler ideas then feel free to share and discuss them on Tuesday so we can tweak as needed.

Cheers TTH
      • Like Like x 3
    14. anthak
      anthak
      Making excuses early or trying to lure team Jones into a false sense of security!
      • Like Like x 1
    15. Bandit
      Bandit
      At pick 1, Team Smith takes Brooke Marinoff, and is now known as Team Marinoff.

Sounds like a pizza shop
      • Like Like x 1
    16. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      Which 2 GWS Giants AFLW players will @Len choose in between sipping drinks in Hanoi ?
      • Like Like x 1
    17. Len
      Len
      Pick 2 and we select Alicia Eva, GWS :p
      • Like Like x 2
    18. Len
      Len
      Pick 3 and Team Eva selects Chelsea Randle, Adelaide
      @That KI Guy
      • Like Like x 1
      • Dislike Dislike x 1
    19. Bandit