Poll - Update to List Changes

Discussion in 'ORFFU' started by JPK, Oct 10, 2018.

?

How many list changes should be mandatory draft picks.

1. Don't make any changes - keep it at 4 PSD picks and be done with it.

2. Minimum Six list changes across a year, however you want (no minimum picks).

3. Minimum Six list changes across a year, with a minimum of 1 draft pick.

4. Minimum Six list changes across a year, with a minimum of 2 draft picks.

5. Minimum Six list changes across a year, with a minimum of 3 draft picks.

6. Minimum Six list changes across a year, with a minimum of 4 draft picks.

7. Minimum Six list changes across a year, with a minimum of 5 draft picks.

8. Minimum Six list changes across a year, with a minimum of 6 draft picks.

9. Other - add comment please

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

You may have seen that there is a proposal floating around the "Rules Discussion Thread" http://tooserious.net/forum/threads/rules-discussion-thread.90234/

The proposal is for changing the mandatory four picks in a PSD, to be a minimum number of changes to a list (new faces), across a year (including both MS and PS), and have a certain portion of that to be draft picks.

This poll will assume that each team will be required to make 6 list changes over a year. This number may be altered, its just a number for now. These list changes will mean that of the 28 players that a team starts the season with, come the start of the next season, 6 of the players must be new - through either trades or drafts. The question here is how many of these new faces should be drafted, as a minimum. The draft picks could be taken in either the MSD or PSD.

2. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

Some people changed their votes! Boooo :p

3. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

Each to there own, not sure I understand why coaches want teams to be forced to make a further two list changes on top off a mandatory 4 picks

• Like Like x 1
  4. ddsaints

ddsaints Well-Known Member

Keep it as is for now. Let’s have another look end of next season

5. insider

You haven’t read it correctly chief. The proposal is to turn the mandatory 4 picks in preseason (only) into 6 list changes across a calendar year; inclusive of trades. They’re chalk and cheese nutsy.

6. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

1. TBH i'd rather keep it business as usual. I'd like change but i don't agree with all the options being minimum 6 changes.

7. JPK

What do you want it to read then?

8. eagle_eyed

eagle_eyed Training the house down!

I’ve voted no minimum picks but 6 changes. Let coaches build whichever way they like. We’ll all take at least 4 picks across both drafts anyway.

9. JPK

With that option, I'm tempted to add a caveat to it saying something like:
    If we get to the end of the trade period, and less than the minimum number of list changes has been made, then at the discretion of the Board and Commissioner, a team will have their lowest averaging player(s) delisted, and replaced with the highest averaging player(s) remaining in the free agency pool.
    Which is basically saying if we complete the PSD, PST, MSD, and MST and a team has only made 5 of 6 minimum list changes, then they'll lose their lowest averaging player and gain the highest averaging FA, without the opportunity to make a BS trade with another club to satisfy the minimum. Hopefully we never come to something like that, but the thought had crossed my mind a few times.

I must say though, that as I was writing the poll questions I did become a fan of that option - it basically says that we have mandatory turnover to avoid hoarding players and to give lower ranked teams a chance to get some fringe talent, but it doesn't in any way oblige you to take picks, or make trades, if you don't want to do one of these options.

• Like Like x 2
  10. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

11. insider

this poll has gone a bit rogue commish. polite request to scrap and start again with more eloquent options that everyone understands?

12. JPK

I didn't think it was that confusing... "This poll will assume that each team will be required to make 6 list changes over a year. This number may be altered, its just a number for now." ...but that's just me.

What would you propose?

13. JPK

On a slight side note, and without spending too much time calculating things, it looks as though every team would have satisfied the minimum 6 changes anyway, if we had them in 2018. The breakdown on average is in the table below.

upload_2018-10-15_15-24-41.png

So basically, each team averaged 4.2 PSD picks (we have a minimum of 4, so this is to be expected), and 2.3 MSD picks, totaling 6.4 new players on average just from the drafts.
    If we then add trades, an average team had 2.6 player changes during the PST and 0.5 player changes during the MST, totaling 3.1 new players on average across the two trade periods.
    Combining these, for the full calendar year, an average team made 9.6 list changes. The maths isn't perfect, but basically, this more than satisfies the minimum 6 that is proposed above, so we're not going to be forcing the average coach to do anything that he doesn't already do.

Yes, this does all beg the question: why make a change? My only answer to that is to remove the restriction that we must have 4 PSD picks, and allow coaches who don't want to draft so much, but want to trade more, to do just that.

14. ddsaints

ddsaints Well-Known Member

I’m liking the however you want idea

15. JPK

16. insider

Not confusing now, but it all changed... anyway, do what you like mate, I was just trying to be helpful; especially when people have specifically said they don’t understand, then it gets changed after people have already voted.
    But hey, the wife doesn’t listen to me so why should you

17. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

Definitely.

I know you said the minimum pick no does not matter now as it can change later, but I worry that if this gets up and no coaches vote for less than the suggested 6 there will be coaches stuck with a required mandatory 6 instead of the current 4 changes. Just like now there are many coaches who are against the mandatory 4 PSD picks as that poll suggested from memory it only got up by one vote. I could be wrong.

18. JPK

This poll looks somewhat inconclusive... Not sure we can make a change based on this.

19. insider

On the contrary, I’d say that 10 coaches voting for 6 changes is quite conclusive... that’s the logic you’ve used for the delist rule is it not? I’d suggest a sub-poll to decide between 6 changes with 4 minimum picks or 6 changes with no minimum picks.

20. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

I tend to agree on this one with @insider . 10 coaches want a change whilst 7 would like to keep it as is....

The other way to look at it is, that as 7 coaches each voted for 1 and 6, then the 3 coaches who voted for Option 2 be asked to change their vote to either 1 or 6.

• Like Like x 2