ORFFW 2019 Grand Final and All Stars Game

Discussion in 'ORFFW' started by TheTassieHawk, Mar 13, 2019.

?

Which teams will be victorious this weekend

Poll closed Mar 17, 2019.
  1. Mystix and the Big V

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Mystix and the Allies

83.3%
  3. Devils and the Big V

16.7%
  4. Devils and the Allies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

Grand Final - Manildra Mystix (TTH) vs Lake St Clair Devils (@dmandrews)
    Curtain Raiser – 2019 ORFFW All Stars Game – Victoria vs Allies

Sunday AFLW teams will be trimmed officially at approximately 5pm on Friday, around 2 hours before the Friday night lockout
    https://womens.afl/news/17224/teams-freo-gun-key-roo-return-for-crunch-clash

After 6 rounds of action 2 teams remain in the running for the 2019 ORFFW premiership.

The Mystix and Devils squared off at Flours Girls Stadium in Round 1 of ORFFW competition and the match saw the home side victorious by 105 points.

Both sides lost the following week in Round 2 before closing the regular season with 3 straight wins to finish 1st and 2nd on the ladder. Both then notched convincing high scoring wins in the semi finals to set up a rematch in the 2019 ORFFW decider.

The visitors powerful triple threat midfield of Hooker-Exon-Paxman have been in red hot form however all 8 that take the field for the Devils will be well ready to deliver matchwinning performances in a contest that will be rugged and willing throughout.

Manildras players have pulled up well from the semi final win over the Falcons and will be focussed on executing a game plan that is designed to respect the Lake St Clair strengths and exploit any weaknesses.

The Mystix management are anticipating a grand final crowd about 20 times the entire 464 population of the township and hope that this will spur the home side on and help them find an extra effort when needed.

Rather than some stupid Super Bowl wannabe pre-match entertainment the ORFFW will be holding a good old fashioned curtain raiser match between the finest ORFFW players from Victoria and the Allies. All Stars teams to be named in this thread at least 45 minutes prior to the commencement of AFLW Round 7 at 715pm on Friday night – ie 630pm Friday (earlier is preferred).

All Stars team discussions are occurring at
    Victoria - http://tooserious.net/forum/threads/victorian-team-for-the-2019-orffw-all-stars-game.90371/
    Allies - http://tooserious.net/forum/threads/2019-orffw-all-stars-allies.90372/

AFLW draftstars scores can be found via these links or on the AFLW app
    Greater Western Sydney vs Geelong UNSW Canberra Oval, Friday at 7:15 AEDT
    https://play.draftstars.com.au/contest/CarjERu
    Melbourne vs Adelaide Casey Fields, Saturday at 4:45pm AEDT
    https://play.draftstars.com.au/contest/CKtjFl0
    Fremantlle vs North Melbourne Fremantle Oval, Saturday at 4:10pm AWST
    https://play.draftstars.com.au/contest/Cr8jE6a
    Collingwood vs Brisbane Victoria Park, Sunday at 2:05pm AEDT
    https://play.draftstars.com.au/contest/CKmjFA2
    Bulldogs vs Carlton VU Whitten Oval, Sunday at 4:50pm AEDT
    https://play.draftstars.com.au/contest/C6IjFPR

Good luck to both of the Grand Final teams and also to all of the All Stars in their curtain raiser match.
    @anthak, @Len, @That KI Guy, @Jason, @FreoDockers, @stripey, @Bandit, @walesy

• Like Like x 2
  2. FreoDockers

FreoDockers Administrator

The Allies team has been announced to take on the Big V in State of Origin this weekend. As the lead in game to the big GF, this match will see everything the Allies have that the Vics don't... hard tackling, possession racking midfielders, defenders who can stop their opponents and kick goals, a dominant & powerful forward line, the best tap rucks in the league and some handy players on the bench as well.

After a brief training session last night followed by a light pasta and salad, the girls are primed and ready to show the Victorians that the true might of womens footy belongs to the "interstaters".

Def - Ash Brazill, Kate Lutkins, Gab Pound, Stevie-Lee Thompson (Ang Foley)
    Mid - Kiara Bowers, Ally Anderson, Jamie Stanton, Elise O'Dea (Bec Beeson)
    Fwd - Erin Phillips, Anne Hatchard, Katie Brennan, Tayla Harris (Sabrina Frederick-Traub)
    Ruck - Jess Foley ( Emma King)
    I/C - Emily Bates, Alyce Parker (Gemma Houghton)

The girls voted on leadership for the match and we congratulate Fremantle's Kiara "Turbo" Bowers on being named captain with her deputy Adelaide's Erin Phillips. All we can say is look out you Vics...

Finally, best of luck to the Mystix and the Devils in the Grand Final - may the best team win and obtain bragging rights for the inaugural ORFFW season.

• Like Like x 3
  3. TheTassieHawk

The Mystix go into the Grand Final with an unchanged lineup.

@dmandrews

4. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

The Victorian team for the 2019 ORFFW All-Stars game is:

Def: Jess Duffin, Kate Gillespie-Jones, Kerryn Harrington, Hannah Scott (Lauren Spark)
    Mid: Emma Kearney, Ellie Blackburn, Jenna Bruton, Renee Garing (Lily Mithen)
    Ruc: Lauren Pearce (Erin Hoare)
    Fwd: Kaitlyn Ashmore, Jasmine Garner, Lauren Arnell, Brooke Lochland (Kate Darby)
    Int: Monique Conti, Alicia Eva (Olivia Purcell)

• Like Like x 1
  5. dmandrews

The LSC Devils enter the ORFFW Grand Final with an unchanged team from their semi-final victory.

Looking at the 2019 averages for the semi final Mystix and Devils sides, not much separates the two sides apart from the forward line where Mystix have an advantage of about 25 points. The Mystix and the Devils will bookend the season given that the Mystix recorded a 105 point victory in Round 1. Both sides are in superb form with seven Lake St Clair Devils players scoring at least 50 in the semi final with the team scoring 547 points. The minor premiers Manildra Mystix were even more impressive will all eight of their players scoring at least 50 which resulted in the team almost breaking the 600 point barrier, scoring 599.

• Like Like x 3
  6. TheTassieHawk

With the matches now underway the lineups are as follows

Grand Final

grand final.png

All Stars Match
    ALLstars.png

• Like Like x 3
  7. TheTassieHawk

I have looked at the All Stars sides a little bit to see how the team and draft splits worked out. No surprises at all that the Krushers provided so many of the players (including some inspired later round picks) or that the 1st 5 rounds of the PSD contained the majority (60% of starters and 30% of emergencies) of the All Stars talent.

@FreoDockers @stripey @That KI Guy @Jason @anthak @Len @dmandrews

FWallstars.png

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheTassieHawk

GWS vs Cats

m1.png

9. stripey

stripey Well-Known Member

It’s a shame Garing and Eva had to wait till the end of comp to fulfill their promise....

• Like Like x 2
  10. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Hannah was very impressive also given her little experience

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheTassieHawk

After 1 match of the AFLW Round the Grand Final is Manildra 1/54 (Cranston) vs Lake St Clair 1/45 (McDonald).

In the curtain raiser Tenterfield's dynamic duo of Eva and Garing have both been inspired by the Ghost of EJ Whitten Snr telling the Vics to "Stick it Up" the Allies and notched season high scores to give the Vics an early 2/199 to 1/73 lead over the Allies.
    @stripey @FreoDockers @That KI Guy @Jason @anthak @Len @dmandrews

The following screenshot shows the state of play and remaining players in both games

updateM1.png

I have also attached the scoring spreadsheet below that can be updated throughout the round in the hope that either @FreoDockers or @dmandrews (or both) will be willing and able to keep match by match score updates flowing through the weekend.

Cheers TTH

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  12. dmandrews

Thanks @TheTassieHawk

I will be at a family birthday tomorrow afternoon so I wont be able to update the spreadsheet for the Sunday AFLW games. I can update the spreadsheet after the Saturday night AFLW game between Fremantle and North Melbourne. This evening I will be attending Melbourne vs Adelaide at Casey Fields, if the spreadsheet for this game hasn't been updated when I get back home approx. an hour after the game I will update it then.

• Like Like x 3
  13. stripey

stripey Well-Known Member

I hope you weren’t supporting the Dees mate

• Like Like x 2
  14. dmandrews

ORRFW Grand Final

Manildra Mystix have increased their score to 2/138 following Ebony Marinoff’s 84 point performance which included her first ever ORFFW goal.

Lake St Clair Devils are 5/237 after their quartet of players involved in the Melbourne vs Adelaide game added 192 points comprised of 66 for Karen Paxmen, 56 for Kate Hore, 41 for Shelley Scott and 29 for Chelsea Randall who didn’t have her usual influence.

ORFFW 2019 All-star game

The Allies have moved to 6-398 following 98 points for Jess Foley in a dominant ruck performance, 81 points for Erin Phillips who had 22 disposals, 77 points for Elise O’Dea, 40 points for Stevie Lee Thopson and 29 points for Anne Hatchard.

Victoria are now 3/229 with ruck Lauren Pearce adding 30 points, lowering her colours to Foley.

I am going to watch the last quarter of Fremantle vs North Melbourne and will then include the scores from that game in the spreadsheet and post said spreadsheet.

• Like Like x 3
  15. dmandrews

ORRFW Grand Final

Defender Ebony Antonio had 11 disposals to score 57 points and increase the Manildra Mystix tally to 3-195 @ 65 points per player with the following players in action tomorrow:

Def: Brianna Davey
    Mid: Jamie Lambert and Madison Prespakis
    Ruc: Alison Downie
    Fwd: Jessica Wuetschner

Devils midfielder Dana Hooker scored 62 points with her day ending with five minutes remaining in the game due to a knee injury. One of the keys to Manildra winning the Grand Final was minimising the impact the Devils midfielders made – so far Hooker has had 15 disposals and Paxmen has had 17 disposals which are quite respectable numbers however Mystix was able to limit each player to under 70 points which would be regarded as a win for MM. The Lake St Clair Devils are 6/299 @ 49.8 points per player with only midfielder Nat Exon and ruck Eliza Hynes to play.

Trailing by only 104 points with an extra three players in hand and passionate home crowd behind them Manildra Mystix are well placed to win the ORRFW Grand Final.

ORFFW 2019 All-star game

The two Allies in action on Saturday night were Kiara ‘Turbo’ Bowers who was brilliant again, playing a captain’s game with 23 disposals and 13 tackles to score 118 points which is the game-high to date and Jamie Stanton who had 16 disposals and scored 68 points. The Allies are 8/584 @73 points per player with the following seven players to take the field tomorrow.

Def: Ash Brazill, Kate Lutkins and Gabriella Pound
    Mid: Ally Anderson
    Fwd: Katie Brennan and Tayla Harris
    Int: Emily Bates

Victoria had six players on field on Saturday night who all scored at least 50 points, led by midfielders Jenna Bruton and Emme Kearney who had 50 disposals and scored 210 points between them comprised of 26 and 108 for Bruton and 24 and 102 for Kearney. Jess Duffin has been the pick of the defenders from the two games so far this weekend, having 22 disposals and laying five tackles to score 84 points, supported in the backline by Kate Gillespie-Jones who had nine disposals and laid four tackles to score 50 points. Victoria forward Kaitlyn Ashmore had 13 disposals and scored 57 points with fellow forward Jasmine Garner registering 12 disposals and 52 points. After being written off by all five members of ORFFW media who selected the home-side double of Mystix and Allies wins Victoria are 9/682 @75.8 pointes per player and are threatening to take this game right down to the wire with the following six players still to take the field.

Def: Kerryn Harrington and Hannah Scott
    Mid: Ellie Blackburn
    Fwd: Lauren Arnell and Brooke Lochland
    Int: Monique Conti

The Allies trail by 98 points with an extra player in hand in defense resulting in the game being balanced on a knife edge and many fans in the pro-Allies crowd at Flour Girls Stadium being on the edge of their seats after entering the game very confident that they were going to kick a Vic.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  16. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

this is great mate! I was actually reading the sides wondering to myself what the breakdown of players per ORFFW team it was.

Nice to see 5 Nymphs get a call up!

• Like Like x 1
  17. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Also interesting that there were a couple of free agents selected, as well as Beeson from Manildra, showing their depth!

18. dmandrews

So far I have been more supporting the AFLW in general rather than a particular team @stripey, waiting for my team St Kilda to enter the competition next year. I have been to more games involving Melbourne than any other AFLW side so far and was hoping for them to at least put up a respectable performance against Adelaide and certainly wasn't expecting them to lose by 60 points. On the flip side I have been very lucky with the AFL W games I have attended in 2018 and 2019 as the final margin in six of them (which is more than half the games I have attended) has been six points or less.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I think @DaveH is waiting for the saints to join to get properly into it as well

• Like Like x 2
  20. FreoDockers

FreoDockers Administrator

Thanks @dmandrews for your updates as I was on hand at Fremantle Oval to watch the Dockers bundle North out of the race to the finals. Fantastic write ups mate! The S.O.O. is on a knife edge..... as is the GF which could still go either way. Another big day of AFLW tomorrow

• Like Like x 5