2018 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'ORFFU' started by JPK, Aug 28, 2017.

1. tyze1

tyze1 Well-Known Member

there was something missing last weekend oh yeah footy!

which got me thinking to other things like trading - what are the post season trading periods etc etc...

2. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

4. TRADES

(a) Preseason Trade Period opens early November until the end of January of the next year. Trading is then open during preseason draft but closes at midnight on the day the preseason draft concludes.

As the rule reads, but what is "early".

I think maybe it should read 1st November or should trading be allowed as soon as the AFL Season concludes...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  3. tyze1

tyze1 Well-Known Member

I know prior years I think we have just got into it... I did read the rules and yup pretty ambiguous hence the need for clarification. Am happy with 1 November FWIW

4. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

Can't remember if we ever had a discussion about when trading can occur or if we had a vote, but I thought I would mention it. What are coaches opinions on allowing trading to occur all season long, excluding finals. I think it could add another layer to our already great game, help teams who struggling to fill holes in there team as many of us were playing out of position players even after we had MSD. I am tooserious and find the Monday to Friday a bore.

• Like Like x 1
  5. martyg

martyg Well-Known Member

+1

• Like Like x 1
  6. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

Sorry for my absence gentlemen. These last few weeks have been terribly busy, and its not looking good for the next few weeks either.

@bryzza I don't agree with trading during the season, but if you want to propose the idea in the Rules Discussion Thread, we can definitely all weigh up the merits of the idea.

As for when to start trading for the 2019 pre-season... I guess we can start going on that one right now, since the ORFFU season has come to a close.
    I'll try to view all posts, and respond to the ones that need it, asap... If anyone has anything pressing, please PM me, and I'll look into it as a higher priority.

7. choppers

I don't like the trading all year suggestion.
    I prefer ORFFU to have an off season for coaches to balance their ORFFU/Real Life scenarios.
    I wouldn't be against a decision to move the Pre-season Trading Period back to commence December 1st, after the AFL Trade/Draft Periods have ended, or even to January 1st, after the SC Positional changes come into being, which occur normally around 13-15th December.

Having the pre-season draft commence on 1st January this year was not well received by quite a few Coaches, so we are looking at commencing 2019 PSD around 3-4 weeks prior to the 1st Pre-season game, which would allow for a 2-3 week Trading Period, should the commencement date be moved to Jan 1st.
    These are decisions that need to be approved or not, by the majority of Coaches.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Tomster

Tomster Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'll be honest, I don't mind if others trade in the coming weeks but I won't be starting much serious research until at least November

9. eagle_eyed

eagle_eyed Training the house down!

If Bucks can meet with Lynch during the season I see no reason why coaches can’t discuss trades now with the caveat being that no one gets upset if they don’t get a response prior to the official date.

10. JPK

I personally have no problem with making or fielding inquires about trades right now.
    I also don't have a problem with coaches completing trades right now - I just think that you're crazy to do so with a fair amount of uncertainty about which clubs players will be at, and what positions they'll play, and who they might be competing against (especially fringe players) - but each to their own.

11. YAD69

YAD69 Moderator Staff Member

Has someone got all the finals scores I'm trying to work out the draft order or has someone already done this?
    If it's ready to go can someone post it, cheers.

12. JPK

I'll do it tomorrow mate, need to create some threads and post a history of all the future picks that we're now trading.

13. fresh

fresh Well-Known Member

Matches what I've got exactly.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mick

Mick Well-Known Member

I thought the draft order always went on total points scored at the end of the regular season? Did we change this?

15. JPK

The PSD order never went on total points scored.

The MSD order was changed about 3 years ago for total points scored, as this was the fairer way to do things in the middle of a season.
    The PSD has always been 9-18 based on ladder positions at the end of the regular season, with 1-8 based on results after finals.

• Like Like x 1
  16. choppers

(a) The Pre-Season Draft will commence on a date as outlined by the board. The draft will run in reverse league ladder order after the Grand Final. Ladder order is calculated as: Bottom 10 as at the end of the regular season rankings. The top eight ranks are calculated as 1 GF winner, 2 runners-up, 3-4 highest for points in semi-final loss and 5-8 highest regular season ranking in knock out final loss and adjusted for PSD trading.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mick

Mick Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  18. ddsaints

ddsaints Well-Known Member

Can we change the above? I’d like the order based on points scored not ladder position. Seems fairer based on total points

19. ddsaints

ddsaints Well-Known Member

Hello all, an update out of Pakenham.

Players up for trade: Everyone!

Wanted? Youthful talent and draft picks

No player is off limits, all offers will be respected.

Thank you all

20. JPK