ORFFF 2020 Season Structure Polls - please read this MAIN thread

Discussion in 'ORFFF' started by TheTassieHawk, Jul 22, 2020.

1. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

@Darran @Len @stowie @anthak @thokash @Brett Sanders @James84 @That KI Guy
    @MrsBear @tyze1 @port_leschenault @Bearfly @YAD69 @leematty1 @Dale Duivesteyn

Hi All, as @That KI Guy has requested it I have put together some quick polls

Apologies if some of the questions are confusing or repetitive as the idea is to get a very quick snapshot to inform decision making.

Please work through the polls in the intended order (which will be updated when all are created) and comment in each thread or below as needed.

http://tooserious.net/forum/threads/poll-alert-the-first-of-many-15-h-a-rounds-vs-flexible.90704/

http://tooserious.net/forum/threads/poll-alert-the-second-of-many.90705/

http://tooserious.net/forum/threads/poll-alert-the-third-of-many.90706/

http://tooserious.net/forum/threads/poll-alert-the-fourth-of-many.90707/

what was the 5th poll is now deleted

http://tooserious.net/forum/threads/poll-alert-not-many-to-go-now.90702/

http://tooserious.net/forum/threads/poll-alert-lucky-last.90709/

• Like Like x 2
  2. TheTassieHawk

3. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

He requested "a" poll! ;)

• Like Like x 3
  4. James84

James84 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  5. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Just keep it simple. Either let the chips fall where they may, or work out something like best XV across the bye rounds.

Imo, having a proper 15 Rd H&A season is more important than any finals. You can just award top place the winner, or work out whatever final system is possible based on whatever rounds remain. So sort the season out first.

Now can I get a poll to decide what to have for breakfast tomorrow? Ta

• Like Like x 2
  6. thokash

thokash Full-Time Magician Staff Member

Filled out some polls.

This might sound crazy, but it's really still way too early to try and decide a finals structure, the goal posts are always changing (see what I did there). I share the above opinion, lets just get 15 games out of the way, then once that is complete there will be 3-4 weeks left in the season and we should have maximum information to decide from there. For the bye rounds I think we just have to suck it up, probably going to be 5+ rounds with teams having a bye so can't afford to skip them even if it does end up disadvantaging some teams, and yeah maybe we have to work on some kind of best 15 methodology.

7. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

This can be done, but not via coding Les won't have time to screw with lineup alterations in ts, 13 and other numbers have been suggested, the only way that can happen is to mandate by league that 13 or 15 etc is the maximim amount a coach can list.
    This would need admin policing and I'd suggest failure to comply should result in the deletion of the highest average players until the required number is reached. Simply because I am becoming very dumbfuck averse and cheating is cheating, not entering a team is not permitted, therefore breaches could only be dumbfuckery.
    Ideally given the rollovers and team entries will need to be done the same day often I believe we keep it simple and roll with outs as injuries.
    I don't believe there is any team as affected as mine with 8 players from the one team so I'm not preaching for self interest

• Like Like x 2
  8. leematty1

leematty1 Well-Known Member

I can tie you with 8 bombers. Although not sure that’s an advantage or disadvantage

• Like Like x 1
  9. Len

Depends on the week I think :)
    My maserattis are playing like toyatas of late

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheTassieHawk

I was wondering what a Toyata was but realised it captures the local Cockburn yobbo twang particularly well.

11. thokash

We can just do what happened in Round 3 where player average is taken, is that a fairer metric or is there a chance for abuse in any way? Playing injured premium players? Maybe a minimum games requirement for someone who has only played 1 game and managed to score 100? I mean I delisted Ablett because he is unlikely to play (m)any more games this year, but if I could have used him to plug in his average score then that would that be fair?

12. Len

Les has expressed a preference to avoid averages, as we've evidenced lately rollovers take a lot longer due to some extensive manual intervention required. Adding averages is a time soak, albeit the least impactful.
    We need to simply accept that at some point in the seasons all of us are going to cop a 1 week injury to our studs and duds alike

• Like Like x 4
  13. thokash

What about trimmed playing squad? 3 players per line instead of 4, plus ruck and 2 interchange? Probably still a lot of manual effort though I'm assuming, although at this point it's hard to see a way to do it without that. Some coaches may still get caught out depending on the bye teams and positions.

I'm already carrying 8 injuries/hub exclusions so byes are going to be pretty brutal on top of that, although I may get a couple of players back in time for byes. Thank god for 30 player squads in this league at least!

14. Len

I hear you :)
    That's the policed option, where we ask coaches to name a shortened squad and just count the empty slots as zeroes, but it's a pita to manage, as would be probably be obvious it can be like herding cats here, it is doable, but from what I can gather not all bye rounds are equal.. I am a fan of just copping it..

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheTassieHawk

Perhaps another solution available is to use top ups in 4 team bye weeks where each ORFFF team gets allocated 4 or 5 spuds on a 1 week deal from the 14 clubs playing in Round 10, no drafting, and listed players must be named onfield and as emergencies ahead of top ups even if out of position.

I would argue this could be a less messy solution than altering and policing the regular 15 player format.

16. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

I agree with all of Lenh's posts in this thread. The voice of reason!

Lets just keep it as 15 and cop donuts if players are out.

Its going to be complicated enough without us messing with structures/rules as well.

• Like Like x 5
  17. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Ok here’s the rub.

Board interpretation of poll results.
    Majority have voted for:
    - 15 H & A rounds priority thus a 3 round final series
    - top 8 finals (Rounds 16-18)
    - play through byes, 15 on park, cop the donuts
    - no fixture tweaks, luck of draw

A decision on how we structure up a 3 week final series with 8 teams will be decided at a later date.

No doubt this needs to be highly fluid given the ever changing state of the world.

thanks to @TheTassieHawk for polling this together ;)

• Like Like x 9