ORFFA Finals 2021 - Fixtures, Teams & Banter

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Bandit, Aug 2, 2021.

1. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Game back in play now, but the scores in SC match centre have already finalised?!

2. anthak

Actually the scores are still changing. to my detriment. Yeo is smashing it since the restart

3. anthak

Final siren, and I think you’ve won @Fitzy
    Yeo finished so strongly and got you back in front.
    But need to wait for final scaling because it’s so close.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

I was watching intently, Yeo was massive post lightning, couldn’t believe ANB had the game he did too after thinking I had it wrapped up when Hurn went off.
    I won’t believe the result until it’s loaded on TS also, never know.

• Like Like x 3
  5. anthak

Nah I’m pretty sure you got the win. Final scaling moved all the relevant scores in your favour, so I think it was probably quite comfortable in the end, unless your initial calculations were wrong, which I haven’t double checked.
    I guess I’ll wait and see before formally conceding and offering congrats etc, but I don’t have much hope.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

• Like Like x 6
  7. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

well done @Bandit for putting this up. How are the semis decided? Is it highest remaining position from the H&A series decides who they want and that then decides the other match-up?

• Like Like x 2
  8. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

You are correct @graeme

In clause 3.3 of the ORFFA Participation Terms and Conditions thread it says.

3.3 Semi Final - The second week of the finals, the four prior winners playoff, the highest placed finisher in the H&A season picks their opponent and the other two play each other.

http://tooserious.net/forum/threads/orffa-participation-terms-and-conditions.90206/

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bandit

Here is next weeks FIXture.... Chief has made his pick
    upload_2021-8-10_15-53-18.png

Random thought, and not completely thought through; for those teams not playing, and would fancy a scratch / grudge match against one of the other teams, let me know and I can create the game in the fixture for shits and giggles... on the proviso (this is the bit I haven't thought through) it doesn't impact the Rising star etc

• Like Like x 4
  10. anthak

• Like Like x 2
  11. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

@anthak 2021 is just the second ORFFA season that the top four teams at the end of the home and away season all won in the first week of the finals. The first time this occurred was in 2017 with the top four teams being (1) Cows, (2) Vultures, (3) Misfits and (4) Grasshoppers. 2017 is the only season that both Grand Finalists finished in the top four, in that GF the Cows defeated the Misfits 1357 to 1337.

In the previous seven ORFFA seasons before 2021 which have held finals teams from fifth to eighth were actually slightly more successful at making the Grand Final with eight of the 14 GF berths being held by teams from 5th to 8th and six of the 14 GF berths being held by top four teams. Both 2021 Grand Finalists will be from the top four, equalising the battle between 1-4 and 5-8 with each bracket having 8 of the 16 GF berths from 2013 to 2021.

ORFFA Grand Finalists with the host listed first and premiers in bold
    2013 Foul Bay Chickens (1) vs Darraweit Guim Dirigibles (7)
    2014 Iron Knob Codpieces (1) vs Wagga Wagga Wombats (5)
    2015 Birdsville Battlers (7) vs Larrikin Lagoon Lefties (8)
    2016 Larrikin Lagoon Lefties (2) vs Venus Bay Vultures (8)
    2017 Waikikamoocow Incorrigibles (1) vs Marble Bar Misfits (3)
    2018 Cradle Mountain Devils (7) vs Marble Bar Misfits (8)
    2019 Foul Bay Chickens (1) vs Venus Bay Vultures (5)

Due to time constraints a finals series was unable to be held by the ORFFA in 2012 and 2020.
    Premiers listed first followed by the Runners Up
    2012 Foul Bay Chickens (1) Iron Knob Codpieces (2)
    2020 Gundagai Grasshoppers (1) Foul Bay Chickens (2)

With 2021 minor premiers Foul Bay Chickens hosting second placed Venus Bay Vultures in one semi final 2021 will be the fifth GF out of eight hosted by a top two team, the other two were unexpectedly hosted by the team that finished seventh who then lost to the eighth placed team in the Grand Final. The Chickens and Vultures have each won an ORFFA GF with the Chickens having won the first edition in 2013 and the Vultures having won the most recent one in 2019 against the Chickens. The winner of the Chickens/Vultures semi final will become the first team to make three ORFFA Grand Finals.

In the other 2021 semi final the third placed Gundagai Grasshoppers host the fourth placed Cradle Mountain Devils. The only previous time that a team that finished third or fourth and made a Grand Final was the third placed Misfits in 2017. Whilst the Misfits lost the GF in 2017 as the visiting team they returned as the visitor again in 2018 and won the flag. The Grasshoppers are the only one of 2021’s four semi finalists that has not played in an ORFFA Grand Final whilst the Devils are the only one of the quartet that hasn’t won a premiership.

2021 is the first time that the Chickens, Vultures, Grasshoppers and Devils filled all of the top four positions at the end of the home and away season. There has never been a season that none of these four teams finished in the top four at the end of the home and away season. The Chickens, Devils and Grasshoppers have all finished in the top four at the end of the home and away season in each of the past three seasons from 2019 to 2021 and the Vultures weren’t far from joining them, finishing fifth in 2019 and sixth in 2020.

• Like Like x 5
  12. anthak

Love this. So many interesting tidbits!

• Like Like x 2
  13. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Stunning stuff @dmandrews ; it is so good that our history is in such capable hands. You rock amigo

• Like Like x 3
  14. snoz

snoz Moderator

Simply amazing @dmandrews !! Love these statistics - ORFFA’s history is in great hands !!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Bandit

It is indeed... the level of analysis Dean brings to the table is fantastic... now I just wish he could fix the Spelunkers

• Like Like x 2
  16. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

@Bandit - on your random thought through thoughts, I wouldn't mind a scratch match against Birdsville if @JC is up for it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

Unlucky @anthak , you had me very nervous while adding up the scores and in that last game. ANB sure did give it a good crack.

Always find your tidbits and stats very interesting @dmandrews as well as @TheTassieHawk and the cumulative table. Thanks lads!

Not too surprised I was chosen to face Foul Bay, also suspect Cradle Mountain were on the bottom of the list, 1581 has to be up there in the highest we've seen.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Bandit

@JC … you want in?

19. Bandit

• Like Like x 3
  20. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Sounds good, TiB. Let's do it. :)

• Like Like x 2