2011 predictions

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Ruddy, Feb 4, 2011.

1. fryzie

fryzie New Member

In reality Judd will probably win it again.

2. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Wow, i think some Essendon fans are a bit dreamy thinking that Hird/Thompson will suddenly make them a great team. Since making the finals (i say make, but they barely got in, and they ultimately got BELTED by Adelaide), they have lost Lloyd, Lucas (retired before finals, but helped them win games) and Lovett. Definitely three of their most important players. Fletcher should start to slow down some time in the next 50 years, and i reckon it may be this year. But Essendon's defence is probably their best line, with some solid KPD. Their rucks are also good, but Hille is injury prone.

Their forward line would have to be about the worst in the competition. Apart from Hurley, who seemed to play a lot in defence last year(?), they don't really have anyone that will win them games off their own boot. And their midfield isn't great either. Given Watson can have 30 possessions for only a 50 metre gain means he actually does less, and gives less for the forwards than his stats suggest. And Essendon's young midfielders are no better than Melbourne's, meaning imo, Melbourne would definitely make the top 8 ahead of them.

IF, and it's a huge if, Hird can come up with a good game plan, teach it correctly to the players, and actually have the players, especially the young players, stick to the plan, then it still doesn't fix the lack of quality. Thompson's game plan from Geelong is outdated and teams can beat it, so he can't give them a new plan. And Hird only has experience coaching at under 9's.

A real worry when your coaching panel is better than your playing group at actually playing footy.

3. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

You don't think Sydney will finish the 2011 season fryzie?

4. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

I will take all the Essendon bashing, Store it,,and use it for fuel....Ruddy Remember that last game of the season in 2009,,,,What a beauty......

This season is a bit of an unknown for a lot of teams. Did anyone really expect the Pies to be such a standout last year????? I really wouldn't be surprised if there are a few teams that change things around and show that they are further along in development than expected. As well as a few teams that We tout as giants dropping of significantly.

Hey Ruddy a serious question, Hows Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis going preseason, haven't heard many rumblings from Glenferie.

5. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Tbh, that wasn't a Bomber bashing, it was more my view that Essendon fans are going a bit crazy because they got an untried coach. While i do think essendon will improve, they haven't won half the games in a season for a fair while, even when they had Hird, Lloyd, Lucas, Fletcher etc

"The stark reality is Essendon has won 46 of 133 games since 2004. If you want some context for that figure, Richmond also won 46 games in that six-year period."

How does it feel =p

6. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Oh and onto your question.
    Lewis suffered a calf injury a couple of weeks ago, but he is back training. Not much news about Mitchell and Sewell, but i would presume they are training strongly. Sewell especially as he missed some of last seasons pre-season after breaking his collarbone in the NAB cup.

7. fryzie

fryzie New Member

haha cheers Jase, stick 'em between Freo and North.

8. stevenhawk

stevenhawk New Member

hawks will win the flag budd will win the coleman. just remember who beat collingwood in round 22 the hawks have the wood over collingwood.so on that note hawks collingwood bulldogs saints geelong freo carlton goldcoast.

9. crew

crew New Member

<blockquote>Quote from fryzie on February 4, 2011, 14:16
    Collingwood
    Hawthorn
    Saint Kilda
    Bulldogs
    Geelong
    Fremantle
    North
    Carlton
    Melbourne
    Richmond
    Essendon
    West Coast
    Adelaide
    Port
    Gold Coast
    Brisbane

Pies should top the ladder again but Hawks should also bounce back from the last few years and the two teams will be awesome to watch in 2011. Saints and Doggies a bit off the pace of those two clubs.

Geelong could fall away without Ablett and with Ling, Corey, Milburn, Enright and Ottens all slowing down. No guarantees on how Selwood will handle the tag week in and out without Ablett.

Freo could be better than last year, but will be missing Tarrant and I can't see them being better than the Pies, Hawks, Saints, Doggies or Cats.

The rest of the teams in the middle there could go in any order depending on injury/natural improvement, even Gold Coast who have a good side but with no depth, so injuries to experienced players such as Gaz or Bock and they're in Barney.

I can't see Brisbane coping with the loss of Riska, Brennan, Sherman and potentially no Fev for the year with Black, Power, Brown all getting older and their backline consisting of some of the most injury prone players in the league in Drummond, Adcock, Maguire and Merrett.

Buddy for the Coleman, Shuey for the Rising Star and Goddard for the Brownlow.
    </blockquote>
    Guessing Swans will do better than you predicted :) . We all been guilty of the odd slip up though bud . Think Swans, as usual, will suprise a few.