2012 Fixture News & Multi Bye Rounds Announced

Discussion in 'AFL' started by stkildathunda, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Could you go a Bogan ruck combination given the success of rucks last year in terms of bang per buck?

Options include:
    - Maric
    - Brogan
    - Bailey
    - Cam Wood
    - Trent West
    - Anyone from Western Bulldogs
    - The Crows 2nd ruckman

Will be interesting to see how Melbourne use Mitch Clark. He's far more a mobile ruck than a forward for mine, but with Martin and Jamar there, it already seems overloaded territory.

You might even consider 3 bogans and a rookie over the one premium one mid.

2. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

@ Lucas

Only problem with that thinking is the Crows no longer have a 2nd ruckman now they traded Maric to Richmond - they'll be playing with only one true ruckman in Jacobs with pinch-hitting from the likes of Tippett & co.

I honestly think that it will be nearly essential to have at least one of your rucks to be R/F MPP - this would bring the likes of Vickery & Lobbe into the frame.

3. Lucas

And Tippett Bear? Just wanted people to mention him and not have me be the one to get on board the big fella for his last year at the Crows.

Can Spud Tippett prove he is worth more than a 2nd and 3rd round draft pick? That's the question.

I would hope there might be some interesting options for D/R this season. Surely Martin and Trengove will be there, would there others?

Vickery/Lobbe/Tippett/Petrie interesting options.

Jarrod Witts will probably make my team if he's a RF.

4. Matty_C

Matty_C New Member

Yeah fair call on price Hornsy, I hadn't really looked into krooz's starting price. At 400k he is definitely a no. But it was more the strategy that I was trying to suggest, trying to trade around the bye. It will be interesting to see some of the ruck combos next year, looks like a good area for a POD.

5. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

To further add weight to my suggested Ruck combo, Mummy and McEvoy are basically the Saints and Swans sole rucks (I consider Kosi and Pyke/Seaby to get limited ruck time). And both teams first 10 weeks are quite favourable.

6. Lucas

Hornsy what's Mumford's durability like? Games played last few years incl finals (Swans played 2 last two seasons):

Not sure that's the best effort for a ruck. Though is that only because of stupid tribunal suspensions because McKay is gone? Ding dong the witch is dead

8 games missed in two seasons is a bit of a risk for mine.

Same with Kruezer

7. Lucas

You'd think Leuenberger and Jacobs will be doing a significant amount of ruck time at their clubs.

8. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

Lucas, you know as well as I do that allegations of Andy's involvement in a coven at AFL HQ are just that, allegations. You should know better than to take the opinions of messrs Hutchison and Barrett as fact.

Secondly, yes you are correct. 36/44 is not the best result for a ruckman. Here's a comparison:

Cox 44/44
    Burger 44/44
    Rydey 43/44
    Goldy 42/44
    NicNat 42/44
    Jamar 37/44
    McEvoy 37/44
    Mummy 36/44
    Sandi 32/44
    Kruezer 25/44

However, to avoid copping a donut or trading around the byes I would argue that you need a ruck from all three groups. At the moment, pre-pre-season, the only team I can see playing a rookie ruck is GWS, who are in the first group, ruling out picking another ruck from that group (scratch Burger, Goldy, Cox and NicNat).

From the third group, McEvoy is the only viable option that I see (would not touch Kruezer, Smith, Lobbe, Maric or Bailey/Hale as premiums).

Leaving the competition for the 2nd ruck between Sandi, Ryder, Jamar and Mummy.

Believe it or not, in the last 2 seasons Ryder has actually scored the most points with 3798, followed by Mummy (3673), Sandi (3606) and Jamar (3104). But I couldn't bring myself to pick Ryder unless he was MPP, could you?

9. SuperCoachSuperStar

SuperCoachSuperStar New Member

A basic way to work out a players value is

Player value=Total points+70*(22-games played)

10. SuperCoachSuperStar

So if a player with a lower averaging is playing every game this season and a high averaging player is missing a couple of games. Assuming the lower averaging player average is four points lower It is likely that the lower averaging player is worth more.

11. SuperCoachSuperStar

Since North Melbourne play GWS in rounds 2 and 23 would it be worth getting someone like Andrew Swallow.

12. Lucas

Hornsy on the rucks couldn't you go 2 from group 1, 1 from group 2 and one from group 3.

If the GWS rookie ruck gets much of a run, he won't cost much.

But by just saying GWS rookie, therefore no use of players like Leuenberger, Cox, Naitanui, Goldstein... I'm not sure it makes sense to me.

Am I missing something?

13. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

I see your point Lucas, should have added that I prefer not to spend a lot of money on R3 and R4.

If there's a rookie priced ruck that looks like playing from Group 2 or 3, obviously that changes things. Likewise if there's a viable R/F or R/D option that changes the equation again. Ultimately at this stage of the pre-pre-season there's too many variables and too little information to make more accurate predictions.

14. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

To add more weight to McEvoy, he has a half decent run upto the round 13 bye.

1. Port Adelaide - Lobbe (142)
    2. Gold Coast - Smith (114)
    3. Bulldogs - Who is their ruck? Cordy? Roughead? (121)
    4. Melbourne - Jamar (DNP)
    5. Hawthorn - Bailey (73)

Then 3 weeks of Carlton (84), Eagles (66), Swans (49)

Before coming into:

Richmond - Vickory/Maric (113)
    Gold Coast - Smith (114)
    Adelaide - Jacobs (90)

Thats a 96.6 average going on this years stats or 110 if you dont include the 3 vs Carlton/Eagles/Swans. The Hawthorn game was also in opening part of year when he was pretty average.

15. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from stkildathunda on October 28, 2011, 15:503. Bulldogs - Who is their ruck? Cordy? Roughead? (121)</blockquote>
    I think Minson will get another chance at AFL senior level in 2012.

He has one year to go on his contract and is the most experienced big body on the list. He is not very good but I think the club will protect Roughead for a little while longer in terms of taking the key ruck position.

Cordy is currently being groomed as a tall defender, who may get secondary ruck duties from time to time.

16. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Brad Ottens retired. Welcome Trent West!!!

Monty has him at &#36;243,800 on his fanplanner on FF.

17. Lucas

HELLO...Trent West! Particularly with huge Q marks about Vardy. Might even mean Tomahawk comes under consideration...

My view on ruck could well be 2 mid pricers, one premium and one spud. Mainly to ensure you have a ruck on the ground who can score.

I was thinking 2-1-1 in the byes.

Maybe Prem-Spud (11), Mid (12), Mid (13)

Certainly good mid options in R13. West in R12 looks perfectly positioned.

The hard thing is working out the spud. GWS is the big thinking at the moment, but I still want Witts. Might just get him later as a downgrade, or as a fwd.

18. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Kurt Tippett up forward anyone with a F/R on your bench to swing him in during the byes to cover ruck byes in Rnd 12/13.

Something like McEvoy & West with Stanley as R/F on bench. Means you wouldnt cop donut in rucks during that period. But then again think a donut is about same value as Tippett......

19. Lucas

Petrie-West-McEvoy combination sounds solid at the moment, as you can take risk on price while still maintaining all 3 in your team most weeks (provided Petrie is MPP and there's an appropriate rookie swingman)

Lots depends on the MPP ratings of players. I assume they will come out in January next year.

20. SuperCoachSuperStar

I'm thinking of getting Mumford next season missing games is a worry though. He plays GWS in his first game and should improve from last season.