2012 ruck options

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Knucklebusters, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Knucklebusters

Knucklebusters New Member

Firstly i appolgise if there is a topic started around this but i could not find one.

Whats every one's opinions on a 1 premium 3 rookie setup eg leuneberger, giles, stephenson, rowe?

Or would you even consider a 4 rookie ruck setup and purchase more premiums in the other positions?

Looking forward to your views on this topic.

2. SuperCoachSuperStar

SuperCoachSuperStar New Member

Don't think the 4 rookie setup will work the 1 premium 3 rookie strategy looks like the best option.

3. Knucklebusters

Knucklebusters New Member

Yeah i totally agree its best having atleast 1 premium in there. Cheers

4. SuperCoachSuperStar

I reckon having Giles as ruck 2 rathering than having 2 premiums and another playing rookie somewhere else on the ground will give you a 7 point advantage.

5. schumie

schumie New Member

<blockquote>Quote from SuperCoachSuperStar on January 29, 2012, 11:52
    I reckon having Giles as ruck 2 rathering than having 2 premiums and another playing rookie somewhere else on the ground will give you a 7 point advantage.</blockquote>

I completely agree, the ice berg and the big O will be starting for me... Unlinke in previous years this structure seems to be the most viable due to the price rise from all the premi rucks last year, rather invest the cash elsewhere.

The possibility of two+ rookie rucks failing is high so caution for anyone going the 0-4 structure.

6. damnfunky

damnfunky New Member

what is making people so confident that giles and stephenson are gonna be able to get decent scores week in week out?

I'm personally going with 2 prem - 2 rook

7. schumie

schumie New Member

Geelong have no current ruck option without O, Vardy is a while off still and Orren will be a mature age recruit in a stellar midfield. As for Giles I think most, myself included are hoping for a Z Smith repeat.

Putting that &#36; saved in the Ruck toward a premi in another line may reap rewards.

I still respect the set and forget ruc solution but this year may be a good opportunity to try something different.

8. Ender

Ender New Member

Trent West will be Geelong's #1 ruck I reckon. However I think they'll play two ruckmen for much of the season so Orren would still be a good option.

9. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Rowe only works with Roughie in your FWD line. And he's coming off major surgery

10. schumie

schumie New Member

Fair call Ender, forgot about Westie

11. franklyfun3

franklyfun3 New Member

Majak Daw? Obviously not an option until taken off rookie list but could be gold when he is.

12. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

I find it quite funny that alot of people are putting so much faith in Giles to "do a Zac Smith" this year.

Concern #1 - Giles couldn't cut the mustard when at Port.
    Concern #2 - Giles went from ok ruckman in SANFL to above average in NEFL (inferior league).

Be very wary of putting so much blind faith in a player who couldn't make the grade at Port when they were desperately trying to find future replacements for Primus, Lade & Brogan.

There is a compelling reason why GWS recruited Brogan - Giles is far from being anywhere near an AFL #1 ruck

13. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

^^^ What a Negative Nancy, eh guys?

14. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Brogan will in my opinion play more games in 2012 and do better than Josh Fraser did at GCS last year. This is why I think selecting Giles as R2 has a fair degree of risk. If Brogan goes down, Giles will no doubt be asked to step up to the plate. But I would be surprised if Giles is going to set the world on fire like Z.Smith did last year, for exactly the reasons Bearfly mentioned above.

Broc McCauley (now Rookie listed at Hawthorn, after Voss had the foresight to delist him in the offseason) is my current consideration for a smokie RUC selection.

15. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Can't see Mccauley getting games. Bailey, and Hale will be our starting rucks, and Roughy will also be ahead of him when he gets back to full fitness. Then, when we want to rest any of these guys, Lowden and Grimley will surely play, just to get a couple of games experience into them. Not to mention it would require a LTI for him to even get off the rookie list. And who knows whether we would upgrade him or Pattison first.

16. hawks2008

hawks2008 Member

Im going with the one premium strategy. Luenberger will be my lock and the three others will be Orren Stephenson, Derrickx and Giles. From all reports, Derickx has been flying in the pre season up forward. Will be tough to choose between him and giles as the starting R2

17. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Would be interesting to work out the 1-3 vs 1-1-2 vs 2-2 strategy.

I'm thinking on analysis of previous years 1-1-2 has pretty much hit the mark every year from the best teams.

One premium
    One mid range
    Two rookies

I think that would be the best way to go again this year. The issue, as always, is to find the right midranger. Last year it was Goldstein-McEvoy. This year I've always been thinking West, but I'm not so sure on him.

No one else really stands out at the moment but (almost) two months left to find other options.

18. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Spot the TS regulars with Giles in their team! :D

19. kevy

kevy New Member

Thoughts on Maric as a mid-price ruck option? (338k)

20. SuperCoachSuperStar

Maric would be a good mid-priced ruck option if you're a Richmond supporter. He was in my team the I changed him out but now I might get him back in.