2012 ruck options

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Knucklebusters, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Don't you mean can't afford not to have Cox?

2. AdelaideEagle

AdelaideEagle New Member

Not at all - He's waaaay too expensive, another year older, NicNat's getting more ruck time, and there are other, cheaper, reliable options to fall back on until his price falls and his form becomes clear. I have two teams and I haven't even put him into my all-WA Sandgropers side.

3. Jason

Form of Dean Cox looks clear enough to me.

4. dshaw15

dshaw15 New Member

I have changed multiple times but i think i have settled on Mummy and McEvoy. I am happy to risk mummys brain fades for his score potential. And i think McEvoy being the only real option at St Kilda is going to get maximum game time, he gets tap outs and he gets around the ground and takes a huge number of contested marks.

Enlighten me with your thoughts please. I am after any criticism/opinions i can get

5. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Cox is the only premium ruck I have confidence in this preseason.

6. PieRaider

PieRaider New Member

The 1-0-3 ruck combination seems totally reliant on Giles performance.

His introduction to serious AFL footy is:

Round 1 Sydney - Mumford
    2 North - Goldstein
    3 WCE - Cox
    4 Adelaide - Jacobs

Ouch!

As a cash cow he looks suspect early and as a keeper, good luck. I see his value in back up for bye rounds.

I'll take Cox and Kreuzer and keep Giles in his rightful place: R3.

7. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

I don't think that giles is a bad cash cow at all however looking at his initial opponents, it might very likely be a very big risk to go with him as a starter. His stats seen to indicate that he can win the ball a decent amount of times so his scoring won't ever be terrible. I fear that Mumford on the weekend could devour him the way he did zac smith a few days ago.

8. J_C

J_C Guest

Like many others, I've always been partial to the set and forget 2-0-2 ruck set up. I think Cox and Mumford will hold their places in the top 4 scoring rucks this year. The question is, at nearly $1.3m for the pair, is it too costly to have them or too costly not to?

9. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

If I went with all of the Ruck Rookies I'd be starting either Redden or Stephenson depending on opponent, Redden as default.

10. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

funny, I just came in here to say Ive decided to drop Giles. Hes only gonna be backup for my two premium rucks, so I reckon hes slightly too expensive. Money is better spent elsewhere.

I would rather get through the whole season without wasting a trade on my rucks, so not interested in him as a cash cow really. and by the looks of the posts above, others are starting to doubt him as well.

I realise a cash cow is a cash cow no matter where they are on field, but i think it will end up easier to find cheapies with decent JS in other lines to trade into, then in rucks, but thats just a hunch... anything could happen, but just more options in total on other lines.

11. Jason

For the $20k difference between Giles and Stephenson/Redden though Anthak, you buy JS and the likelihood of him playing most games for the year. That's worth it in my book.

12. hench

hench New Member

<blockquote>Quote from obleex on March 16, 2012, 20:20
    Cox and Mumford.

Thoughts?</blockquote>

Can't do any better then that in the rucks.

Will you have the courage to stick with that team when others do the 1-0-3 strategy and their other 3 lines look alot better than yours?

13. ExPrez

ExPrez Member

I asked the question a while ago why wouldn't you go the 1-0-3 ruck structure given Giles' excellent pre-season form. I didn't get a legitimate answer for quite some time, it took last year's winner to provide it (thanks Prompts).

Let's say with that structure you go Giles, Redden and O. What if Giles gets rested, Redden gets dropped and O gets injured? Hypothetical yes, but possibility for sure. What do you do then? There may not be a rookie ruck playing at the same price that you can trade to, so you're forced into a double trade just to avoid a donut.

14. hawks2008

hawks2008 Member

Well ive been thinking about it, and now you guys have completely turned me off giles at ruck 2! The only question is, which fwd to downgrade? Am thinking of going goodes to pfeifer.

15. Pattay

Pattay New Member

i agree i would love to go the season with out any ruck trades .... but i cant safely pick the top two rucks, so id rather pick one, and trade in the number 1 ruck later with it presents its self .... or if it stays the same being cox then hopefully get him cheaper....:)
    so i think 1-3 is the safest option round ...

16. Lethaldons

Lethaldons New Member

Basically in the rucks what are we thinking giles/redden/stephenson will score??? We have seen last years ruckman that play 80&#37; plus TOG generally score well 80plus, the question is do these 3 have the capabilites to consistenlty over the ton??

17. Temenos

Temenos New Member

"His introduction to serious AFL footy is:

Round 1 Sydney - Mumford
    2 North - Goldstein
    3 WCE - Cox
    4 Adelaide - Jacobs

Ouch!"

Last year Z.Smith got 79 against mumford, 92 against goldstein, 118 against cox, 92 against jacobs 1st time he met each of them

18. Dirty_Whorks

Dirty_Whorks New Member

Guys,

Very interesting data analysis from NAB cup.

If you take out all rucks that played less than 175 mins and rank the rest based on PPM, the top ten in order from 1 through 10 are:

1. David Hale
    2. Dean Cox
    3. Ivan Maric
    4. Jonathan Giles
    5. Jarrad Redden
    6. Hamish McIntosh
    7. Patrick Ryder
    8. Nic Naitanui
    9. Zac Clarke
    10. Shane Mumford

Interesting to note that David Hale actually had the most game time out of that bunch.

Also, if you take the same list and rank then in terms of PPM per &#36;:

1. Jarrad Redden
    2. Jonathan Giles
    3. Ivan Maric
    4. David Hale
    5. Hamish McIntosh
    6. Zac Clarke
    7. Patrick Ryder
    8. Nic Naitanui
    9. Dean Cox
    10. Shane Mumford

Interesting once again. I'll let you guys draw your own conclusions. Note that Bg Boy McEvoy played less than 100 NAB minutes and therefore didnt make hte 175mins cut off.

I can post a an excel if anyone let's me know how.

Cheers.

19. J_C

J_C Guest

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, Giles is yet to play along side Brogan. Does anyone think that might impact on Giles' scoring at all?

20. Corks

Corks Member

Is Sandilands injured or right to play R1?