2012 ruck options

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Knucklebusters, Jan 29, 2012.

1. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

@Flameboy - i dont think even you sound very excited about that combo. beware Mummy and injury and likely reports

2. Flameboy23

Flameboy23 New Member

I'm liking what it allows me to do elsewhere but not overly confident about it...I think the cover is good with Giles and stephensen but I'd love to be able to set and forget!

3. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Flameboy23 on February 21, 2012, 13:51
    Does anyone think the Mumford and Mcintosh combo could get the job done to free up cash for use elsewhere? </blockquote>
    I have Mumford and Z Smith atm, whilst I am comfortable with it if I don't free up the cash before R1 ZSmith will be very likely upgraded to Cox in early trades

4. princeofmugs

princeofmugs Moderator

Currently got Berger and McEvoy (with the standard R3&4).
    Is anyone confident in their ruck choices this year?
    Cox is at max $$, Sandi seems dodgy.
    Berger I'm trusting as being a premium, regardless of the impact of Hudson, and the McEvoy choice is based on him being a solo ruckman. Still not confident..

5. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

McEvoy's problem is effectiveness, it's historical and it may go away, but he score a lot higher in DT as he gets the hitout, it's just not massively effective.
    I hope he turns out awesome though, he is a Saint :p

6. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

@princeofmugs I really like McEvoy and think he can take another step up again from last year, he could be a really good POD aswell. As you mentioned the impact of Hudson on Berger is unknown and a pretty big risk, he was obviously drafted for a reason. And given Ross Lyon has said he plans on resting sandi at times and using griffin to help shoulder the ruck duties, I'm staying away from him aswell! For me the best and "safest" 2 premium option is Cox and Mummy.

7. McEvoy wont be a POD I don't think but my ruck barring injuries will be Cox and McEvoy. I want set and forget and the only way I can get that is with Cox, and McEvoy should at least be top five IMO

8. Knucklebusters

Knucklebusters New Member

Im thinking about my 1-1-2 structure atm and still not set on it, berger and renouf (giles, Stephenson) It just free's so much $$$ up elsewhere. Bearfly what do you know about renouf :)?

9. Dekka

Dekka Member

I'm considering Muumy as R1 and then Giles, Orro and maybe Derryx as R2 between them in the hope of trading up two of them to a gun later. Have always been a set and forget man with rucks so am a bit nervous about this. But it does free up a lot of cash and there's no reason why the rookie rucks can't do as well as other rookies?? That is until they all fall down.

10. Moblets

Moblets New Member

OK if your like me you have already had 47 different ruck combinations and its not even the end of round 1 pre season!!!

Currently I am going with the set and forget combo - Cox, Mummy, Giles and Big O.

How can I go wrong you may ask???

Well i'm still very strong in mids and forwards but my defenders now look like this - Goodard, Lids, Grimes, Hargrave, Bower, Webberly, Bugg, Smedts, Darley.

Even I will admit that has a smell about it. So if I change my rucks to a 1-1-2 combo I can probably upgrade Hargraves to a Shaw. If I go a 1-0-3 combo I can also upgrade Bower to a Suckling/Broughton type.

So what will be better:

Cox, Hargrave and Bower

versus

Giles, Shaw and Suckling

I still haven't worked it out!

11. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Moblets I am in a similar boat, as are many others I reckon as well.

Having Giles at R2 just makes the teams looks so much stronger, but can he be trusted? Be question is what effect Brogan will have on him. We saw Zac Smith score well even with Fraser around.

Uncertainty x2 with Hargrave and Bower (will Bower even be in the best 22?). While its Uncertainty x1 with Giles.

Backline looks that much better with Giles at R2 that perhaps it worth the risk. Could be a real stickler for teams this year. Hopefully the NAB will shed more certain light over Giles' scoring potential.

12. TheOnion

TheOnion Member

The premium ruck options are more appealing to me than the premium defenders at this point, so (to answer Moblet), Cox appeals more than Heater the Cheater. I'll probably go with Mummy, Giles and the Big O. The ruck wild card for me is Kreuzer because he might just go premium this year. Giles at R2 is too big a risk for me and could easily put you behind the early SC leaders most of whom I reckon will have tried to predict R1 and R2 for the whole year. Check out Walesy's excellent "Premium Ruck Analysis by the Graph's" from about 2 weeks ago;...especially his final comment which was ... "The best advice I can give is that I tip a 2-0-2 ruck combo to be the best option this season. A 1-0-3 or even a 1-1-2 combo might be ok for some, but you’d be pretty stuffed if your rookies didn’t end up playing too much, and you didn’t have the cash to upgrade one to a more premium ruckman. At least with a failing premium ruck, yu have some cash there to trade him into someone else doing a better job!"

13. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Knucklebusters on February 21, 2012, 20:01
    Im thinking about my 1-1-2 structure atm and still not set on it, berger and renouf (giles, Stephenson) It just free's so much $$$ up elsewhere. Bearfly what do you know about renouf :)?</blockquote>

I would be a bit wary about relying on Renouf as your R2 Knuckles, he's been on a modified pre-season due to knee tendonitis and as soon as Lobbe is back Renouf will be relegated back to being 2nd ruck.
    On top of this is the simple fact Renouf hasn't been a very high scorer during his time at the Hawks, whereas Lobbe took a big step up during the 2nd half of 2011 after an interrupted pre-season with dislocated shoulder - expect Lobbe to further improve his scoring output in 2012, whereas Renouf I don't expect to increase his average by much from the past.

14. Knucklebusters

Knucklebusters New Member

Cheers Bear i might put kreuzer in for R2 and leave the rest as is.

15. The_General

The_General Member

I don't get it!

Look at the scoring of rucks last year. How can you not have 2 premuiums?

Cox looked really good on the weekend, Mummy will improve again, as will McEvoy. Sandi doesn't need to do much to score well. Berger has the capability to continue on from the end of last season.

Its not as if there is a lack of options, if anything there are too many.

16. Also too many options in rookie and mid-priced rucks for a lot of people to be honest. I think premiums is the way to go but having not won SC yet I can't say that it's definitely a winner

17. G-Train

G-Train Member

<blockquote>Quote from The_General on February 22, 2012, 13:08
    I don't get it!

Look at the scoring of rucks last year. How can you not have 2 premuiums?

Cox looked really good on the weekend, Mummy will improve again, as will McEvoy. Sandi doesn't need to do much to score well. Berger has the capability to continue on from the end of last season.

Its not as if there is a lack of options, if anything there are too many.</blockquote>

Some feel that if you can get 75-85 points each from Orren and Giles then you can upgrade another position and cash in one of them for a premium ruck later on.

18. whips

whips New Member

Many options is correct.
    With 14-15 rookies and only room for around 12-13 premiums, the odd mid-pricer is needed somewhere on the ground.
    Some mid-priced or lower-prem rucks look more delicious than those in other pozzies. (Apologies to Bruce!)

19. graeme

graeme Guest

I am with the Onion and whips. It seems to me that the probability of money spent on rucks being money well spent is better than with defenders and possibly forwards.

Rucks for me at this stage: Nic Nat, Kreuzer, Giles and the Big O; with Rowe in the forward line for (cough) "strategic purposes."

regards
    chels

20. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Alot being said regarding Mumford, anyone concerned about his durability? Seems to miss 4 to 5 odd games a season to either injury or suspension.