2012 ruck options

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Knucklebusters, Jan 29, 2012.

1. TheOnion

TheOnion Member

Ant...most of the premium rucks have a history of sore toes, biffing young cheeky blokes, or belting tennis balls into their team mates eye sockets. They are just clumsy big units who will inevitably hurt themselves or someone else. Ya gotta take a punt on 2 of 'em and live with it.
    Speaking of cheeky, are you related to 1983 Magarey medallist Tony Antrobus who shares the same moniker as yourself?

2. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

3. donatello

donatello New Member

I'm now going with sex in the car for my (hopefully) set and forget ruck option.

4. whips

whips New Member

<blockquote>Quote from chels on February 22, 2012, 14:39

Rucks for me at this stage: Nic Nat, Kreuzer, Giles and the Big O
    </blockquote>
    @chels,
    Sorry mate but I just read your earlier post and realize I've plagiarized your R1,2 in the Rucks discussion thread.
    NicNat and Kreuzer were the lower-prem and mid-pricer I'd referred to earlier but sorry anyway.
    You named them so should give credit where due!!

5. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

I think this year, maybe more than ever the rucks will either make or break a lot of teams, there are legitimate question marks over just about all of the top 6 rucks from last year, age, change of role, competition from another ruckman in there side, etc! it will be very tough!

At this stage I'm going with 1 premium (currently cox) Giles, Big O and Rowe.

6. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

Post the weekend i think people are reconsidering Leuey and the big truck McEnvoy cos they just didnt look very good ruckmen... Im into the 1-0-3 because i think Giles can score 85-90 in many of the first 13 weeks and then ill slip him back into 3rd spot.

7. Knucklebusters

Knucklebusters New Member

<blockquote>Quote At this stage I'm going with 1 premium (currently cox) Giles, Big O and Rowe.</blockquote>

Same NTS, i changed it again bye bye kreuzer 1-3 structure, If stephenson or giles can crack the 80 (fingers crossed) That 300-400k is better spent upgrading other positions which could potentialy make you a fair amount more points than just 1 more prem/mid ruck would.

8. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

Exactly my rationale Knucklebusters. I think 80 would be pushing it, but Giles should average around 70, BigO around 60-65 IMO. Last year in the NEAFL (yes, I understand the quality of this league) Giles averaged 115 and was 100+ in 11 of his 16 games, his lowest score was a 70 and his highest, a massive 183 (the highest recorded by any GWS player last year)

9. whips

whips New Member

Heard on Fox Footy last night that Vardy was well ahead of schedule and could even return in the NAB.
    Could hamper O's JS and will need to watch that.

10. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

FWIW I've gone McEvoy, MK, Giles and Orren.

I dont think Giles will be as good as Smith was last year, but he'll almost certainly play every game thus giving him max opportunities to score.

11. Muppets

Muppets Member

Currently got Mummy, Kruze, Giles and O. Not totally sold on Kruezer yet and would prefer NicNat but would have to rejig the team for that. Playing a rookie at R2 is much too big a risk for mine. Oh well, plenty of time to change the rucks another few dozen times.

12. nolanb13

nolanb13 New Member

Mummy and Luenburger, then Big O and Giles. Going for a set and forget option, as i don't like to mess around with the rucks. I doubt Orren or Giles will pull of Smith's performance in their first year, so I'm getting in some solid performers. Mummy has proven himself to be a massive score getter, and believe it or not, actually comes at a bargain thanks to some of this injuries last year. Leuy finished the year very strongly and will start this year in a similar way IMO. Also, Mummy gives a great Vice Captain for when Gazza gets his inevitable rest.

13. b_frazer5

b_frazer5 New Member

I believe Cox will be the number 1 ruckman again this year but he is very expensive at 660K.
    Atm im still not sure whether to go 1-0-3 or 2-0-2. Because there is now way i can afford to have say mumford cox combination. Where if it was Leuenberger & sandilands i could maybe afford it.
    But isnt the idea of supercoach to have the best players in every position come seasons end?
    so wouldnt it be wise to play 3 rookies and wait for cox to drop in price and pick him up?
    And use that spare cash on a forward or backmen who is around 500k. Because they are more likely to be in the top 7 forwards or backs, than a 500k ruckmans chances to be in the top 2 ruckman?

14. Tigerman

Tigerman New Member

Agreed on the Cox cost. I'm going with 1-1-2; Mummy and HMac (Orren and Piles) with a view to getting either Cox or Sandi as an upgrade after the bye. The doubts and negative issues expressed ad-nauseum on this site for having Cox and/or Sandi as season starters outweigh the positives for buying them at their current prices. Money has been spent on a premium laden midfield instead (Pendles, Ablett, Murphy, Selwood). There seems far more chance that the fourth member of my mids is going to come out with their usual kickass SC point getting game performance than there is for Cox or Sandi to do so given their age, health, new coach, youth options etc.

15. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

Have changed to Jacobs, MK, Giles and Orren.

Tossing up between Jacobs and Leuey.

It changes every couple of days.

16. mjcdons

mjcdons New Member

Any love for Minson? He's been on fire in the NAB cup and will be #1 option for the dogs.

I'm thinking Mummy, Minson, Giles, and Big O.

Considering Redden for Big O.

Thoughts?

17. Turbs

Turbs New Member

Not many keen on nic nat ??

I think Kruze will have a breakout season big potential after having a clean full pre season looking very fit... if he can perform like his come back game last season consistently then look out

18. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Yeah Kruze is in my team now. Only a couple of weeks after stating in here that I would only be choosing out of 4 or so premium ruckmen. I think he'll easily end up premium though and he is therefore excellent value. Scored his lowest ave of his career last year, so would expect a big increase on that after a strong preseason.

But yeah, I'll prob change my mind again many times before r1

19. Das Phoenix

Das Phoenix Guest

I started last year with Jacobs, one year too soon and suffered early.
    On the surface, this year the most obvious best starting combination looks to be Jacobs and McEvoy (but not for me this time).
    I reckon a trade is worth at least 200Grand so I deduct that from the starting price of the Premo I want/wish/target and it makes their points seem a whole lot cheaper from the beginning.
    This year I'll only trade down into rucks if I have to, I'm not risking having to trade up.

20. Tango

Tango New Member

Jacobs is an interesting one. With Maric gone, will probably spend most of his time on the ground with relief from K-Tip. Any Crows fans out there know if Jenkins is close to a game as No.2 ruck?

Redden also starting to look like a better R4 than Big O. Will wait and see what happens this weekend first.