2012 ruck options

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Knucklebusters, Jan 29, 2012.

1. whips

whips New Member

@Turbs
    Yep, I'm still on the Fijian Cruise combo but need to see a bit more.
    @Tango & mjcdons
    Redden now right up there for me. Also, rather than replace OS, I'm starting to look at a 1-0-3 structure. The three rookie rucks might be as good as any rookies in other positions.

If 1-0-3, the Fijian Cruise would turn into Cox.

2. bama

bama Active Member

I was at the tigers cats game today and since I have swap orren for redden and kreuzer for maric. I know it's only one game but orren doesn't look great and maric will be a warrior for the tigers in a similar way to Mumford for the swans.

3. CJ22

CJ22 New Member

@tango

I'm not a Crows supporter, but I know McKernan plays as a backup ruckmen as well.

4. DBY

DBY New Member

Any word on how big sandy's toe is holding up during the NAB cup/pre-season?

5. demonspud

demonspud Member

Campbell coming into contention as well after todays performance, though behind Minson, Cordy and Roughead. Supposedly a better kick than most.

6. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Campbell is rookie listed so he would need to be elevated before coming into contention

7. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

NAB round 3 showed Goldstein as the only premium IMO who looked any good. But he's in round 11 bye matched with Giles so 4th ruck MUST be reliable...
    what do people think about Mumford thruout the NAB? admittedly the stupid ruck rules ruined any normal play.

(oh sorry, forgot cox! - just updated this post)

8. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from GaryReal on March 11, 2012, 21:22
    NAB round 3 showed Goldstein as the only premium IMO who looked any good. But he's in round 11 bye matched with Giles so 4th ruck MUST be reliable...
    what do people think about Mumford thruout the NAB? admittedly the stupid ruck rules ruined any normal play.</blockquote>

You missed Cox?
    He didn't look good, he looked awesome

9. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog New Member

@Lenh...agree, Cox looked awesome.

10. b_frazer5

b_frazer5 New Member

1-0-3 strategy looks more decent now with this Tom Campbell bloke showing more in his 1st game than orren has showed in all of his games. IMO id take redden giles campbell. I reckon campbell will play since there other full forward Liam Jones is a spud

11. Dekka

Dekka Member

Has anyone been able to work out/estimate any of Giles SC scores so far vs TOG? Just concerned these rookie rucks might get smashed coming up against the real deals and only average 40-50 ppg.

12. Bearfly

@b_frazer5
    Campbell is a rookie listed player, needs to be elevated to the senior list first before coming into any calculations for a place in your team

13. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Campbell also has a round 11 bye which doesn't work if you're going with Cox/Berger and Giles.

14. b_frazer5

b_frazer5 New Member

yeah, im sure he'll get elevated. Along with couch, magner, gibson etc

15. PumpyChowdown

PumpyChowdown New Member

Wondering what people think about this:

4 rookie ruck strategy!!!

For most of the pre-season I've been on the 1-0-3 strategy, with Jacobs as the #1 ruck, Giles, Redden and O. However I feel that this year is very different with the rucks as their are so many rookies coming through.

Giles, O, Jarrad Redden, Tom Campbell (rookie), Sam Rowe, Ceglar, Josh Jenkins, Derickx, Andrew Phillips, Billy Longer and Daniel Gorringe are all >&#36;200k rucks that I figure will get game time this year.

Cox is delicious, as always, but he is just so expensive. I expect Jacobs to increase his average to 100 - 110 per week. But if a combo of Giles/Redden/O/Player X can average 80 - 90 each, that frees up a truckload of cash and allows a much stronger backline - which leads me to my backline theory.

Back rookies this year are very few and far between - especially compared to Mid/Ruck rookies. The only one I'm sold on thus far is Ellis. He looks good. Darley is the other back rookie in my squad. B.Lake IMO is SC Gold this year and I expect him to average 90+. With the 4 rookie ruck strategy my backline looks like this:

B. Goddard - H. Scotland - B. Delidio - S. Fisher - G. Broughton - M. Suckling - B. Lake [B. Ellis - S. Darley]

Theoretically, and with luck, that's no upgrades at all in the back line. The extra cash also allows an extra premium in my forwards - hello Mr. Pavlich!

So to summarize, if Cox was to average 120 and one of my rookie rucks average 90 that's 30 points per round I'm missing out on. However, I save potentially 4 and maybe six trades to upgrade back/fwd premiums that I now have in my team, and those premiums should also average 20+ points per round each greater than the rookie/mids that I would have had to have in if I had Cox or Jacobs which is +60 points per round. A net gain per round of +30 point AND as stated, I've potentially saved 4 - 6 trades.

Genius or absolute idiot?

16. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from PumpyChowdown on March 12, 2012, 13:17

But if a combo of Giles/Redden/O/Player X can average 80 - 90 each

</blockquote>

Middle quote not sure if serious.

If serious probably absolute idiot more than genius. :D

17. Dekka

Dekka Member

@pumpy I started the direction you are heading but am getting nervous about the rookie rucks scoring ability. I also looked at the premium defenders and they have not travelled that well (or at all) in the NAB so could be better upgrade targets after 5 or so rounds?

If I take out Goddard, Deledio, Murphy and 1 starting rookie (say Bugg as already have Ellis)and put in Broughton, Hanley, Lake, Bower; that leaves me enough cash to upgrade R2 from Giles to NicNat (and make Giles R3). Too many questions, so little time.

18. PumpyChowdown

PumpyChowdown New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Lucas on March 12, 2012, 13:38
    <blockquote>Quote from PumpyChowdown on March 12, 2012, 13:17

But if a combo of Giles/Redden/O/Player X can average 80 - 90 each

</blockquote>

Middle quote not sure if serious.

If serious probably absolute idiot more than genius. :D </blockquote>

Going on pre-season figures and job security, do you not think it's reasonable to suggest that Giles and Redden could average 80 - 90 each per game?

Granted, it's a very high risk/high reward strategy, but I'm getting to the point now where I think I need to be talked out if it!

19. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Giles/Redden will more realistically average about 70, maybe 80 if things go their way. If Big O wasnt such a spud then i reckon it would have merit but honstely think he'll be lucky to average 50 for year way he's going.

Think everyone got sucked into the hype that he's mature aged and Geelong have no other ruckman and automatically assumed he'd score well. Just look at Renouf for prime example that not all rucks are SC gold.

20. Bearfly

<blockquote>Quote from stkildathunda on March 12, 2012, 14:04
    Just look at Renouf for prime example that not all rucks are SC gold.
    </blockquote>

Agree mate - to score well, rucks need to be active around the ground, not just be good ruckmen.
    Look at Cox & Sandi, the reason they score so heavily is because they take marks around the ground, long kicks, tackles, kick goals etc.
    If any of the rookies being discussed don't tick those boxes, then scratch them off your list because they won't score enough points.
    Looking at pre-season games, the only rookies that are really ticking these boxes are Redden & Giles.