2012 Supercoach Defenders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by stkildathunda, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

That would explain it. Cheers.

2. 82asch

82asch New Member

Spurr or Smedts at D9? (Don't have a link for Smedts) Thoughts...

3. SuperCoachSuperStar

SuperCoachSuperStar New Member

4. HotPiesColdDrinks

HotPiesColdDrinks Member

Locks for me are Goddard and Deledio.

For the 3rd, who is the best guy? Shaw vs Scotland vs Birchall?

I've had Scotland for majority of the time, but thinking Shaw or Birchall because this allows me to make my forward line stronger and I don't think I would lose as much (if any) on the points board if I were to go Shaw or Birchall over Scotland.

5. presty

presty New Member

ive gone shaw over scotland because of the r13 bye considering i also have goddard and deledio. birchall also has r13 bye

6. Fedor

Fedor New Member

I'm tossing up between Shaw and Birchall at the moment too. I've got Shaw right now, but I'm very tempted to change him out to Birchall.

7. Tango

Tango New Member

I've got both Shaw and Birchall, but have been on Birchall since I drafted my first team. He presents a decent premium defender POD because most people will be picking Broughton for the same price. Has had a great preseason and is less likely to get tagged due to Suckling's emergence last year. He could even find himself up on the wing a bit more this year. He's just turned 24 and is about to enter the prime of his career. I can see him being a top 5-6 SC defender this year. However, he does have a lower ceiling than Shaw, but if you can do something decent with the $35k that you save, then you'll be laughing. On the flip side, he has no documented gambling issues :D

8. Kanga18

Kanga18 New Member

anyone hearing anything new on enright?

9. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

What do people think of Guthrie from the cats? A good alternative to Clarke as numbers for the nab cup show he should improve this year. Just not sure about his JS.
    Thoughts?

10. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Quick one fellas, Shaw or Broughton for D3? I like Broughton for his potential to be a top 5 defender by season's end however question marks remain on his actual role in his side. With Shaw you know what you're going to get (100 ppg and the off field brain explosions).

11. Fedor

Fedor New Member

I really like Broughton, I have them both, but if I had to pick between one or the other, I'd choose Broughton.

Right now, I'm not sure if I should trade Shaw out for Birchall. There's not much I can do with the extra 30k from getting Birchall, so I don't need to free up the cash. However, if Birchall will outscore Shaw anyway despite being cheaper, then it won't hurt to get him. With no consideration of price, assuming they both cost exactly the same, who would you pick between the two?

12. TooManyRabbits

TooManyRabbits New Member

What are your thoughts on Courtenay Dempsey this year? Coming off the knee reconstruction last year he is only worth $273,800 at the moment and prior to last year was averaging around mid 70's to mid 80's. You reckon he is worth it or should I just pickup another rookie who gets named next week and use the $$$ to upgrade another one of my mid defenders?

13. PieRaider

PieRaider New Member

I'm expecting Heater to have a solid year.

His promotion to the leadership group coupled with another mistake to make up for should be enough incentive for him to perform at his best.

14. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

FWIW I have both Shaw and Broughton.

I think both should do very well this year, as long as their coaches don't play funny buggars with us.

15. riffs

riffs New Member

i think broughton due to him rotating throu the mid and he gets his own ball and his disposal is good(plenty of points)...sam fisher could have a big year if his allowed to play that loose man like previous years where he scored big

16. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Just wanna do a once over on my defense line if you boys could take a look. Cheers

1.Scotland
    2.Deledio
    3.Shaw
    4.Lake
    5.Guthrie
    6.Ellis
    7.Bugg

EMG (Mohr & Shaw, S)

17. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Very similar to mine Gonaddz, except I missed Mohr and don't have Lake as a mid pricer.

Guthrie I think is a great choice, and Sam Shaw (despite being quite KPPish) looks a feasible pick, especially with Rutten going down.

18. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Thanks Nick! Just wanna make sure I'm learning on TS as this is like my 18th time playing around with my side I guess I'm good to go with the Lockout!!

19. ABitWoofy

ABitWoofy New Member

Why all the love for Broughton? Theres no denying he has produced some solid scores this preseason but with Mundy and Barlow coming back very shortly I am baffled as to why so many teams are picking him as an underpriced premium in their initial squads. People are saying that things may be different under Lyon but wouldnt having a new coach make him an even greater uncertainty?
    Personally if im paying over $500k for a backman I would want to be fairly certain as to what im going to get in return, and I know that people will say "no risk, no reward" but everytime I try to mount a case in my own mind to put him in my team I just can't see the logic

Can someone please convince me otherwise?

20. Tango

Tango New Member

@ABitWoofy, people are going off Lyon's history with backmen at St Kilda. Goddard, Fisher and Gilbert all turned elite/premiume under Lyon's coaching playing out of the backline. The guy is such a fantastic ballwinner and disposer of the pill that he's wasted on the defensive shut-down jobs that Mark Harvey had him do at times last year.