2012 Supercoach Defenders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by stkildathunda, Dec 5, 2011.

1. The_General

The_General Member

Gonadz I think the two tigers are the least of your worries mate. I'd suggest reading through this thread as there are players in here who will perform much better than the ones in your team currently.

2. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Cheers The_General! I re-did my defense and gave it a good mix up only have Conca now and the rest is history.

3. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

What about someone like Birchall?

As some have pointed out, you probably need at least one more premium in that defence line up. Someone like Goddard, Deledio or even Heath Shaw.

4. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Or all 3 :)

5. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

FWIW - I haven't completely ruled out Hunt...almost, but not completely...he looked ok in round 1 of the NAB in pretty shocking conditions and had a lot of time in the middle. I'm pretty keen to see how he goes tomorrow night. It’s hard to justify him over a rookie who is cheaper, but a couple of solid games and I might reconsider.

6. dj62

dj62 New Member

Anyone looking at Taylor Hunt or Michael Hibberd......

7. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

My Defense Currently

1. Scotland
    2. Gilbert
    3. Suban
    4. Conca
    5. Hargrave
    6. Darley
    7. Brown, L

EMG (Wilkes B, Lynch J)

8. aerodyte

aerodyte New Member

keep scotland, flush the rest

9. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Aerodyte I see a lot of opinion but no show of side. Please enlighten me.

10. Matty_C

Matty_C New Member

Hey Gonaddz, I think what aerodyte was indelicately trying to say is that your backline has a very high risk profile. All of those players *could* breakout and become premiums, but the chances of all of them breaking out are pretty slim (apart from Scotland who is premium). In that lot you will end up with maybe 2 keepers, 3 at best, which considering the money you have spent isn't great.

Personally I would downgrade Conca to Ellis or Morris and turn Suban into a premium like Heath Shaw and upgrade Gilbert if you have the money. I don't mind Hargrave as a pick, however you could downgrade him to someone like Marty Clarke and then upgrade Gilbert to someone like Goddard or Deledio.

This is all just my opinion because if all of those players did breakout you would have scored an awesome backline very cheaply, but generally I try to only take a few risks instead of a whole line full of risks.

11. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

thank you Matty_C I was about to lose faith with this site, I'm just a student and need instruction where I can get it so cheers I'll play around with my defenders a bit more.

12. Matty_C

Matty_C New Member

That's alright mate, don't give up on TS it's definitely the best fantasy resource website around.

13. damnfunky

damnfunky New Member

what did people think of Marty Clarkes performance the other night?

14. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

IMO Damnfunky he definitly slipped down my watch list, he was ok, but not great. I would need to see more next week to consider picking him over a cheaper rookie.

15. dj62

dj62 New Member

It was clarke's first match, I still think he's worth staying on watch...

16. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Hargrave slipped onto the watchlist, Clarke slipped slightly off, but for his price you'd still watch him for sure.

Will be a brave coach who starts Lake, Hargrave and Clarke.

17. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Whats the word on Grundy? Worth a spot? Looks good on paper to me.

18. Turbs

Turbs New Member

what do u guys think of my backline fantastic site btw:

Scottland
    Shaw
    Waters
    Suban
    Hargrave
    Clarke
    Ellis

Prob a bit risky ... any thoughts ?

Also would it be best to use a rookie mid/def in the midfield if needing to swap scottland into midfield ??

19. G'day Gonnadz.

Grundy worth a look but would need to have a ripper in the remaining NAB games to get a spot in my team. Has teased for a while now whilst never really delivering. Grundy fits into the second category below and you would need to be confident that he would improve his game reasonably this year to make him a worthwhile pick.

Defense can be a bit tricky in SC, as it is the main position IMO where a good player does not mean a good SC player. Guys like Jamison, Gibson, Merrett etc are great guys to be holding down their respective backlines but will never be great SC scores due to the points system. Try to get guys who are versatile or spend more time up the ground, or have a more run and carry type role.

Cookie-cutter defense premiums are your Goddards, Deledios, Scotlands and Shaws and you'd want to have at least one of these if not more.

Next rung down would be guys like Birchall, Newman, Bock, Adcock etc and whilst all decent players you would be banking on these blokes to jump up in ranking to premium this year. IMO you would have 4-5 players between this list and the one above with the rest rookies.

Many coaches will be starting with all of Goddard, Deledio, Scotland and Shaw so any POD picks or mid-pricers need to be able to keep up with these guys till upgrade time when you can grab the ones you're missing.

Hope that helps mate

20. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Damn BlueBeliever you are very good at breaking things down. Read that like a book great advice! Will keep my team the same till NAB Cup is over then see peoples thoughts then. A friend of mine told me not to worry too much about the back line as your mids and forwards are where the real cheddar is. I just want to make sure I can find these lists of when the players are announced so I'm making sure all the players I have down play in round one. GWS is to be a week earlier I understand.