2012 Supercoach Defenders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by stkildathunda, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Spifflicator

Spifflicator New Member

Nadz & Turbz, I see the term POD thrown around quite regularly, my advice is ignore any player which someone describes as a POD. If being a POD is the best reason they can give you as to why you should have them in your squad then avoid them like the plague as they are most likely not going to set the world on fire.

The only POD which matters is is having the highest scoring team. Having any player is only worth doing if he offers either; 1. high points return for $$$ spent, or 2. Is a cash cow. I don't care if they are different from anyone else, I don't care if they play for collingwod (tic), I don't care if they are going to win rookie of the year. I just care that they either 1 or 2 because in the early part of the season you are trying to balance high scoring players with money making rookies. Mid pricers tend to be neither one nor the other.

To that end you need to make a concious decision about how many premiums you are going to play in each position (i.e. 4/4/2/4), and then pick your rookies. You can have one or two mid-pricers if you believe that they are going score 90+ points and move up into near premium status, but be VERY selective.

For example, Turbz I can see Scotland, Shaw, and Ellis being solid selections. However the middle four are in mid price limbo. Keep perhaps Clarke or Hargrave (if you must) and convert the rest into another 1 or 2 premiums and the rest sub $140 rookies. You will score more points with 4 premium defenders and 3 rookies than you will with 2 premiums, 4 midpricers and 1 rookie, and you will by make more money on the rise in price of a rookie than you will off a mid-pricer meaning that you can more quickly trade into premiums.

There are always going to be one or two mid price break outs per season, but they are hard to pick. In the backs Lake, Morton (GCS version), Davis, Hargrave, Sellar (ruc/def) and Clarke all look like possibles but I would only have a maximum of 1 of those type of players per line and no more than three in total.

I am personally running a 3-1-5 defence, 4-0-4 midfield, 2-0-2 ruc, 4-1-4 fwd line. I currently have Hargrave as my mid price back, but to be honest if the round one selections allow me to, I will probably dump him in favour of Birchall at D4, and juggle the rookies a little to cover the extra $200k.

2. Turbs

Turbs New Member

This site is fantastic cant believe how willing people are to share there advice... thanks spiff

3. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Yes Great Info that why I donated and will continue to donate with great info like that! Thank You!

4. BuddyBeauty

BuddyBeauty New Member

Ah I got a problem! Should I go with 3 Premium backs and 4 Premium Fwds + N.Riewoldt.
    OR should I go with add an extra premium to Def to balance things, at the expense of N.Riewoldt. Adopting a 4 premiums and in def and fwds.
    SO... Scotland or N.Roo ?

5. obleex

obleex New Member

Have Hargrave and Lake both in my side at the moment, with only one rookie starting. Will be interesting to see how they go next week. Hopefully Lake gets a full match.

6. hayesing

hayesing New Member

i dont quite get all the love hargrave is getting lately... the guy has only ever once gone close to premium (way back in 2009) and has had a bad run with injury in the last 2 seasons. this coincides with his drop off in SC but the point to be made is that he isnt an overly elite disposal and even before his injury run his best average (other than 09) was 80....

im looking at it that a guy with his recent injury record, average disposal and lack of more than 1 big season is a no go. hes 280k to start with, ill be generous and say he improves to an average of around 84 (id honestly expect him to be closer to 75)... hell be around 453k. thats less of an increase than many other cheaper picks ive looked at ;/

7. Smashcollingwood

Smashcollingwood New Member

Is the porpoise a lock at $229K???

8. dj62

dj62 New Member

I think he's a lock for that price, can rack it up. On defenders I am struggling a bit as there doesn't seem the quality of rookies. Suppose that was the case last year too compared to say the midfield. At the moment have Clarke, Bower as D6-7. Didn't want to spend a great deal in defence. As for the bench Webberley, Ellis,Mohr,Bugg, Smedts,Winmar Wilkes.....am I missing someone, really struggling with this lot and considering going with the two tigers.

9. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

At around the same price, Cameron Guthrie (Cats) could score as well or better than Bower/Clarke

10. dj62

dj62 New Member

I'm with ya HeavyMen.....didn't say I had Guthrie as D5.

11. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

HeavymenMen - Can you really see Guthrie getting a gig ahead of any of Geelongs other defenders? Mackie, Scarlett, Lonagan, Taylor, Enright, Gilles... Geelong are notorious for not taking NAB seriously, come round 1 all the usual suspects will be back in.

12. The_General

The_General Member

Re: Smedts and Guthrie, I would ask who is coming out of that premiership backline? Wojo apparently is injured so it might open up a spot.

13. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I'd be really keen to see how Guthrie goes (if he even gets a go) with the stars back. Could be a sub often perhaps?

Ellis looked composed and should play round 1.
    Mohr looks a bit too KPP for my liking...
    Smedts I'm not convinced will play enough.
    Webberley is a fringe player.
    Bower's JS just got a massive boost by Laidler's injury.
    Clarke turned many off with his scoring but I'm keen to see another hit out first.

Hence a lot of insecurity in the backline, meaning a punt on Hargrave who is very very cheap could be worth it.

14. FyfeforBrownlow

FyfeforBrownlow New Member

Great site and discussion. I've been reading since last year, but just joined up and plan to donate.

I currently have Guthrie in my backline, but that's subject to change. Cam found plenty of the footy and looked very composed on the weekend. With Milburn retiring and Taylor Hunt looking likely to move into the Cameron Ling replacement tagger, I think Guthrie could earn a spot in Geelong's best 22 as a running mid-size defender. The Cats backline is aging and Scott likes to inject some new blood like he did with Menzel and Duncan in the forward line last year. I share Nick's concern about him possibly being used as a sub because of his versatility.

Ideally, he could turn into a D7 at the end of the year like Lower or Heppell, but if not then hopefully he can be a productive cash cow. I'll wait and see how he does next week, but he looks like a potentially low risk high reward pick.

15. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

Good breakdown Nick! I agree with all your assessments.

Bower In particular, for mine is now a lock.

16. Chappy

Chappy New Member

Missed hurn's game on the weekend. any good?

17. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

@NotTooSerious
    Given Guthrie got 2 early games last year & the talk he is in the mix, I think it's a reasonable selection.

We will all have to decide when Rd1 teams are named whether we stick with our convictions or pick rookies that are named & playing. Trouble is with say 4-5 rookies (perhaps one mid pricer) needed down back there are not too many you can be confident with, regards permanent job security. Bower, Darley & Ellis perhaps the best.

18. dshaw15

dshaw15 New Member

What are peoples thoughts on Nick Smith form SYD? His NAB has been outstanding thus far, granted he is a genuine mid pricer at around low 300's i believe. What is his job security like and has he slipped nicely into the role vacated by Tadhg Kennelly?

Also i don't know if anyone else is having the same train of thought as me but here goes.
    There seem to be a number of young Geelong players coming through, and so far when its their turn they all seem to be putting their hand up. This is making it hard to pick one of these guys, as there may well be 3 or 4 guys sharing 1 or 2 positions throughout the year meaning less game time each meaning less growth in dollars.
    For instance, Taylor Hunt, Billie Smedts, Cam Guthrie, George Horlin Smith, Steven Motlop, Simon Hogan.
    I guess what im trying to ask, Is there simply too many options and not enough positions at geelong to warrant picking a geelong player?

19. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

I've been hearing that Armstrong is who the Swans have set in filling Kennelley's backline role. Personally would be going Hargrave at that price range ahead of Smith.

I don't think you would want more than two of those Geelong players, Hogan and Guthrie for me.

20. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

@hayesing, people are keen on Hargrave due to McCartney's implementation of a new gamestyle, one revolving around possession retention, a Hawthorn style game which is fantasy rich, specifically for backmen. Hargrave is looking like being one of the main conduits out of the Bulldogs backline, setting up the play, making himself available for the switch of play (lots of marks and kicks) and also having license to zone off his direct opponent and provide run and carry out of the half back line. Sure, lots of uncontested possession but disposals that minimise the chance of turnover.