2013 ORFFA Team Previews

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by chris88, Feb 26, 2013.

1. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

Chris Thanks for writing the ORFFA Team Previews, it makes for interesting readingand provides some insight into the respective teams. You were a bit too accurate for my liking calling Setanta a key departure for the Cradle Mountain Devils,only days later one of the Devils ruckman Trent West injures his knee and is in doubt for the start of the season. To be honest I never considered keeping Setanta as the Devils have got a loaded forward line and I thought that two ruckman would be sufficient. I have been through the process of picking a Devils best 15 and many positions in the line-up are up for grabs. Depth and flexability with dual position players are definite strengths. Several Cradle Mountain players spent long periods on the sidelines or were hinderedwith injury problems last season including Gwilt, Zaharakis, Schneider, Thomas, Jamar and Hurley. How these players peform in 2013together with how rapidly youngsters likeSiposs and the Smith's (Clay & Devon)can improve will go a long way to determining if the Cradle Mountain Devils can be a genuine premiership contender in 2013.

2. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Gariwerd Cockatoos: Key arrivals: Jimmy Toumpas, Sam Blease, Thomas Murphy, Setanta O'Hailpin. Key departures: Steve Milne, Matt Thomas. Key players: Brett Deledio will be chained to the midfield this year, though he is looking forward to escaping defence. Chris Masten and Adam Cooney join him in the middle. Burgoyne, Hurn and rising star Brodie Smith lead the defence, while Bundy Christensen, Mitch Clark and Brown Paper Bag Tippett are the keys up forward. Youngsters Zac Smith and Nathan Vardy hold down the ruck positions, with help from the newly acquired Irishman O'Hailpin. Potential X-Factors: Nick Lower and Koby Stevens both moved east over summer in a bid to continue their careers. Their fortunes at the Bulldogs' kennel could play a key role in the Cockatoos' 2013 success. Jimmy Toumpas could make an immediate impact as well. Question Marks: More question marks at Gariwerd than the Riddler's outfit. Robbie Gray, Blease, and Clark are battling injury. Tippett won't play until halfway through the year and Adam Cooney's fitness has long been a sore point. What impacts will these players have in 2013? And how will Lower, Stevens, Tippett and Thomas Murphy go at Gariwerd after shifting AFL teams in the off-season? Summary:The Cockies are just about impossible to get a read on in the pre-season, with injuries, absences and players at new clubs all potentially having a massive impact. If coach Anthak can muster a fit team on the park consistently, the Cockatoos might shock a few teams. If not, Setenta O'Hailpin could be dealing out quite a few more bum kickings to teammates.

3. chris88

Next up in the previews will be Gundagai, Iron Knob, and two of our relocated franchises - Larrikin Lagoon and Lovely Banks.

4. J_C

J_C Guest

Another nice write up Chris. To be fair though, Foul Bay did lose MPP for 3 players as well - Dangerfield, Pavlich and Johnson. So it could've been worse. As I see it, Foul Bay has two dinstinct advantages over the rest of the competition. The first is evenness - the chooks have 15 players on their list that averaged 80 or more last year. As a comparison, Birdsville is second on that list with 12. The second advantage is the strength of the Chooks FWD line. Based on this year's position allocations, the Chooks will likely field a FWD line that averaged 99.5ppg per person last year. Taking into account a few positional assumptions on my part, that's at least 13ppg per player better than anyone else I could see. That gives the chooks a minimum 50ppg head start on everyone else and this is where the majority of the scoring difference comes from.

5. chris88

JC wrote:
    Another nice write up Chris. To be fair though, Foul Bay did lose MPP for 3 players as well - Dangerfield, Pavlich and Johnson. So it could've been worse. Agree JC - but I think the new DPPs are far more significant than those players that lost DPP for the Chooks. Johnson might not be in the Chickens' best 15, and 2 of the three new DPP players - Broughton and Pearce - are looking for an upswing in scoring after moving clubs. Means the quality of depth in the Chickens' squad again increases.

6. ChiefRussell

ChiefRussell Well-Known Member

JC wrote:
    Another nice write up Chris. To be fair though, Foul Bay did lose MPP for 3 players as well - Dangerfield, Pavlich and Johnson. So it could've been worse. As I see it, Foul Bay has two dinstinct advantages over the rest of the competition. The first is evenness - the chooks have 15 players on their list that averaged 80 or more last year. As a comparison, Birdsville is second on that list with 12. The second advantage is the strength of the Chooks FWD line. Based on this year's position allocations, the Chooks will likely field a FWD line that averaged 99.5ppg per person last year. Taking into account a few positional assumptions on my part, that's at least 13ppg per player better than anyone else I could see. That gives the chooks a minimum 50ppg head start on everyone else and this is where the majority of the scoring difference comes from. It was actually the fact that I thought that Dangerfield would become a mid only that prompted me to go hard for forwards like Dahlhaus and Adams in the first trade period. Having Jimmy Bartel become a forward was a bonus. While I do love my forward line, there is at least one forward line that is the equal of mine in the competition....Cradle Mountain. Thomas, Zorko, Stevie J, Hurley, Bolton and up and comers Siposs and Devon Smith means that they are on par with me now, and better placed for the future.
    Oh, and thanks for the previews Chris. They are good reading and made me fall in love with my team all over again :)

7. J_C

J_C Guest

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong Chris. No matter which way you look at it, Foul Bay look scary good.

8. chris88

Just thinking too - when these are all done, can we gather them and bung them together on the home page or on the blog. TiB ... is ths something that can be easily arranged? Be a good promo for the league as well.

9. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

chris88 wrote: Just thinking too - when these are all done, can we gather them and bung them together on the home page or on the blog. TiB ... is ths something that can be easily arranged? Be a good promo for the league as well. I reckon thats a great idea Chris. I can arrange that, no problems. As long as TiB approves, I suppose.

10. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

chris88 wrote:
    Gariwerd Cockatoos: Key arrivals: Jimmy Toumpas, Sam Blease, Thomas Murphy, Setanta O'Hailpin. Key departures: Steve Milne, Matt Thomas. Key players: Brett Deledio will be chained to the midfield this year, though he is looking forward to escaping defence. Chris Masten and Adam Cooney join him in the middle. Burgoyne, Hurn and rising star Brodie Smith lead the defence, while Bundy Christensen, Mitch Clark and Brown Paper Bag Tippett are the keys up forward. Youngsters Zac Smith and Nathan Vardy hold down the ruck positions, with help from the newly acquired Irishman O'Hailpin.
    Potential X-Factors: Nick Lower and Koby Stevens both moved east over summer in a bid to continue their careers. Their fortunes at the Bulldogs' kennel could play a key role in the Cockatoos' 2013 success. Jimmy Toumpas could make an immediate impact as well. Question Marks: More question marks at Gariwerd than the Riddler's outfit. Robbie Gray, Blease, and Clark are battling injury. Tippett won't play until halfway through the year and Adam Cooney's fitness has long been a sore point. What impacts will these players have in 2013? And how will Lower, Stevens, Tippett and Thomas Murphy go at Gariwerd after shifting AFL teams in the off-season? Summary:The Cockies are just about impossible to get a read on in the pre-season, with injuries, absences and players at new clubs all potentially having a massive impact. If coach Anthak can muster a fit team on the park consistently, the Cockatoos might shock a few teams. If not, Setenta O'Hailpin could be dealing out quite a few more bum kickings to teammates. Also, I love this writeup mate :) I agree with you, that there are so many questions, and it is unknown how i will go this year. I reckon its possible I may end up near the top of the ladder, but just as possible I end up down the bottom! I reckon my biggest departing player is actually Priddis, and I cant believe I traded him away so cheaply :( And i know you think Lower and Stevens are interesting commodities, but to be honest, its looking as though they wont even be in my best 15, but hopefully they see significant improvement and force their way in. For anyone thats interested, Gariwerd are having an Intra-club match this weekend before we let Tippett head home for a break. If anyone wants to come down, details are in the Gariwerd team thread.

11. chris88

Gundagai Grasshoppers: Key arrivals: Sam Mitchell, Pat Karnezis, Tyson Goldsack, Jake Stringer, Brett Goodes, Dan Currie. Key departures: Matty Wright, Stewart Crameri, Sam Docherty (sort of), Matthew Scarlett, Luke Power Key players: The midfield is where the Grasshoppers' strength lays - Mitchell, ROK, Rock Lobster (F/M) Liam Anthony and the rising Taylor Adams make for a nice set-up. Lenny Hayes is ready to fire too after serious post-season surgery. A number of the new arrivals - including Goodes and Dan Currie have the chance to make an impact. Aaron Sandilands continued injury woes make Jono Griffin a key player. Potential X-Factors: Coach Simonoz would be relatively content after a busy draft and trade period. A number of his pick-ups, including Brett Goodes, Pat Karnezis and Daniel Currie, have the potential to make an immediate difference. Matthew Suckling was set for a big season, but has unfortunately succumbed to a pre-season knee injury, denting the Grasshoppers' defensive strength. Question Marks: Can Jono Griffin shoulder the load left by Sandi's injury? Will Currie contribute in the ruck? Which, if any, of the Grasshoppers younger brigade will fire? Will Gundagai's forwards score enough points consistently to ensure the team is competitive?Who will step into the breach left by high-profile retirees? Summary: Simonoz has drafted well, addressing needs with his picks. However this team may come up a touch short this year. Retirements and injury have already made an impact, and worries over the Grasshoppers' forwardline persist. Much of Gundagai's hopes rest with its midfield - when it fires, the Grasshoppers should fly.

12. chris88

Iron Knob Codpieces: Key arrivals:Jackson Macrae, George Horlin-Smith (damn you Iron Knob), Rhyce Shaw, Q-Stick Lynch Key departures:Dom Tyson, Rhys Palmer Key players: Gary Ablett. Gary Ablett. Gary Ablett. Apparently he can play a bit. Importantly, Iron Knob has depth to back up the bald master - Griffin, Shuey and fellow nude-nut Nathan Jones through the midfield, as well as a great young forwardline led by Jack Riewoldt, Luke Breust and Jack Darling. Minson and Goldstein will look after ruck duties, with help from D/R Cam Pedersen. Potential X-Factors: The big Q-Stick could be a very astute pick up by coach jimbowan. Personally I think he is in for a great scoring year in his new surrounds - with or without glove/pinky finger. Cam Pedersen might surprise a few at his new AFL club, while (and I say it again, damn you Iron Knob) George Hyphen-Smith is ripe for a break out year down Geelong way. Question Marks: Can Iron Knob's low profile defence get the job done week in, week out? How many times will GAJ top 150? Can Jarrad Grant put on some weight? Will young draft picks Macrae and Hyphen-Smith get their chance? Summary: Iron Knob is deservedly ranked highly for the ORFFA premiership - and not just because of Gary Ablett's presence. A deep midfield, young forwards and savvy drafting leave the Codpieces in good stead - not only for this year, but in seasons to come. A definite premiership contender.

13. chris88

Larrikin Lagoon Lefties:

Key arrivals: Dan Nicholson, Jonathan O'Rourke, Joe Daniher, Nick Suban, Sam Wright

Key departures: Adam Selwood, Matthew Watson

Key players: Plenty to like about the Lefties this year, with Matt Priddis and Scott Selwood leading a solid midfield unit (Carrazzo, Mzungu, Jordan Lewis, Coniglio, Conca, DPPs Monfries and Scotland). F/R DPPs NickNat and David Hale will most likely spend a lot of time forward, given the Lefties lack of depth there. Hale will be key too given Nick Nat's injury woes.

Potential X-Factors: Coach gravenger has drafted very well, with new defenders Nick Suban, Sam Wright and Dan Nicholson both potential X-factors. Two high draft picks in Daniher and O'Rourke could provide solid output this year as well.

Question Marks: Can the Lefties' forwardline score enough without NickNat and Gary Rohan (both injured)? Can David Hale and Max Bailey carry the ruck load? How will the no-frills defence shape up? Which of the Lefties' youngsters will step up to break into the best 15?

Summary: Larrikin Lagoon's recruiting and drafting has built further depth and talent into a solid unit, one which should figure into Top6 calculations if all goes well. Right now, the Lefties' forwardline maybe its only concern, NickNat's return should help this situation. A very nice team with a good mix of young talent and experience that should more than hold its own in 2013.

14. chris88

Lovely Banks Lilacs:

Key arrivals: Matthew Watson, Majak Daw, Jake Carlisle, Joel Corey.

Key departures: Ryan Hargrave, Brad Green, John McCarthy (RIP), as well as Ashton Hams, Travis Colyer.

Key players: The new franchise from Lovely Banks boasts an impressive midfield - led by Dane Swan and Scott Thompson, youngsters Mitch Duncan, Craig Bird and Sharrod Wellingham to provide support. In a backline full of 'j's', Jed Adcock and Jack Grimes will beassisted by new recruits Watson and Carlisle. And if Paul Chapman and Hayden Ballantyne can stop niggling each other, they'll be the keys in the forwardline.

Potential X-Factors: Majak Daw is a walking talking X-factor. If he enjoys a breakthrough season, it will provide huge help to fellow rucks Pyke and McIntosh. New recruits Watson and Carlisle could make an instant impact up back, while the same applies for midfielders Duncan and Josh Caddy.

Question Marks: Will the Lilacs' defence of 'J's' hold firm. Can Andrew Krakouer and Beau Maister up their scoring to boost the forwardline? Will Dane Swan and Paul Chapman be seen in public wearing lilac guernseys? Can Hayden Ballantyne stop annoying his Geelong-based teammates so they stop punching him in the face? Will the unfortunate passing of John McCarthy help inspire the Lilacs to greater heights?

Summary: The Lovely Banks franchise breaks new ground with the ORFFA's first female owner ... and Jen and the team from the outskirts of Geelong might surprise a few this year, particularly after a solid draft from her and caretaker recruiting manager Blue Believer. Any team with a midfield featuring Swan, Thompson and Duncan has to be treated with respect. More than a sneaky finals prospect.

15. chris88

8 reviews down. Marble Bar and Mt Beauty up next.

16. chris88

Marble Bar Misfits:

Key arrivals: Matt Rosa, Aaron Cornelius, Lachie Whitfield, Kristian Jaksch, Dean Terlich

Key departures: Courtney Dempsey, Aaron Hall, Daniel Giansiracusa, Darren Glass

Key players: Patrick Ryder will have to pull double time to lead both the forward and ruck divisions for Marble Bar this year. Stef Martin becomes a key player with his change of scenery and DPP F/R status. Brad Sewell, Shaun Grigg and Matthew Rosa lead a midfield looking to youngsters Green, Whitfield and Steven for support. Talented youngsters Rhys Stanley and Jeremy Cameron will join Martin, Ryder and Jarrad Waite up forward.

Potential X-Factors: The return of Nathan Bock (D/F), Andrew Embley and Mark Nicoski from injuries could provide the Misfits with a real boost. New recruit Terlich could step into the starting 15 if his form is good, while Danny Stanley and Sean Dempster will hope to build on good 2012 seasons in defence.

Question Marks: Can the Misfits returning from injury make an impact. How will high-profile draftees Whitfield and Jaksch go? Can Stef Martin play well enough to provide a chop-out to fellow R/F Paddy Ryder? Can defensive veterans Enright, Bock, Firrito and Thornton keep chugging along?

Summary: For a group of Misfits, a united Marble Bar have plenty to look forward to in 2013. The return of a number of players from injury, as well as improving young players, should most certainly see coach Len and his squad enjoy more wins than losses this season. Will be there and thereabouts when the whips are cracking.

17. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

chris88 wrote:

Lovely Banks Lilacs:

Key arrivals: Matthew Watson, Majak Daw, Jake Carlisle, Joel Corey.

Key departures: Initial delistings not made public, as well as Ashton Hams, Travis Colyer.

Original squad cull was done without input from anyone, I can't recall them all, but Green and Hargrave retired and John McCarthy had an ordinary off-season.
    Some key drops really.
    Enjoying the reads ta :)

18. chris88

Lenh191 wrote: chris88 wrote:Lovely Banks Lilacs: Key arrivals: Matthew Watson, Majak Daw, Jake Carlisle, Joel Corey.Key departures: Initial delistings not made public, as well as Ashton Hams, Travis Colyer. Original squad cull was done without input from anyone, I can't recall them all, but Green and Hargrave retired and John McCarthy had an ordinary off-season. Some key drops really. Enjoying the reads ta :) Yes, I put that there mainly because the delistings from the FFKATFKF were due to players simply not playing anymore, due to retirement or, in John McCarthy's case, something entirely more tragic. I might add this info to the preview above, actually.Thanks Len.

19. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

chris88 wrote:
    Iron Knob Codpieces: Key arrivals:Jackson Macrae, George Horlin-Smith (damn you Iron Knob), Rhyce Shaw, Q-Stick Lynch Key departures:Dom Tyson, Rhys Palmer Key players: Gary Ablett. Gary Ablett. Gary Ablett. Apparently he can play a bit. Importantly, Iron Knob has depth to back up the bald master - Griffin, Shuey and fellow nude-nut Nathan Jones through the midfield, as well as a great young forwardline led by Jack Riewoldt, Luke Breust and Jack Darling. Minson and Goldstein will look after ruck duties, with help from D/R Cam Pedersen. Potential X-Factors: The big Q-Stick could be a very astute pick up by coach jimbowan. Personally I think he is in for a great scoring year in his new surrounds - with or without glove/pinky finger. Cam Pedersen might surprise a few at his new AFL club, while (and I say it again, damn you Iron Knob) George Hyphen-Smith is ripe for a break out year down Geelong way. Question Marks: Can Iron Knob's low profile defence get the job done week in, week out? How many times will GAJ top 150? Can Jarrad Grant put on some weight? Will young draft picks Macrae and Hyphen-Smith get their chance? Summary: Iron Knob is deservedly ranked highly for the ORFFA premiership - and not just because of Gary Ablett's presence. A deep midfield, young forwards and savvy drafting leave the Codpieces in good stead - not only for this year, but in seasons to come. A definite premiership contender. Thanks for the positive write up Chris! The backline is definitely the concern I should have potentially moved one of my many midfielders for some more chop back there. Hanley is hopefully going to continue to improve and I am hoping Grima can actually play 22 games for once.
    In the mids, as you say GAJ is key to going .500 or going undefeated. Need the bald master to go insane this year, also hoping the big Goldy can rise to the top of the ruck rankings. Shuey, Jones and Griffin could also improve some if I am lucky.
    Up forward I have HIGH hopes that Bruest can become the next Beams and become a F/M killer by getting time in that Hawks midfield. Make or break year for Darling as he has promised a lot but still hasnt broken out.

20. chris88

Mt Beauty Uglies:

Key arrivals: Jack Viney, Troy Menzel, Tom Lee, Steven May

Key departures: Jason Gram, Josh Drummond

Key players: A young triumverate of midfielders - Cotchin, Sidebottom, Bennell - are joined by DPPs Cyril Rioli, Dustin Martin and Hamish Hartlett, as well as young-gun Mid Jack Viney in one of the best young midfields in the ORFFA (Did I say they were young?). Martin and Rioli will also fill key roles up forward. Leuenberger is the key ruckman, with support from the emerging Ayce Cordy. Beau Waters and a couple of (again) young Tigers in Batchelor and Ellis anchor the defence.

Potential X-Factors: MPP D/Fs can be gold, and the Uglies have two young ones in Jordan Roughead and Steven MAy - both potential X-factors. Jed Anderson comes in with high hopes, while Menzel could be anything - if he gets fit.

Question Marks: With youth can come inconsistency - will the Uglies overcome this? Can Dustin Martin return to form? Will Leuenberger stay fit? When will Troy Menzel get on the park? Who out of the Uglies and the Dirigibles will successfully hold onto the most Richmond players?

Summary: I think initial odds offered about Mt Beauty for hte ORFFA flag are very generous - though I am not a betting man. This is a team that will be more than competitive in the present, but could become a future juggernaut with its emerging, talented youth led by a personal favourite in Trent Cotchin. Coach Bama's shrewd drafting saw a clutch of good young things arrive on the mountain ... don't be surprised if this team goes a long way.