2013 ORFFA Team Previews

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by chris88, Feb 26, 2013.

1. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

The Nunawading Nuffas

Key arrivals: Jaeger O'Meara, Matthew Broadbent,Steve Milne, Tim Membrey, Pat Weardon

Key departures:
    Sam Gibson, Justin Sherman, Jordan Russell

Key players: Josh Kennedy, Brent Stanton, Kade Simpson and Dan Cross form the core of the Nuffas' hard-working midfield, Broadbent and O'Meara's arrivals will be welcomed there as well. Taylor Walker and Adam Goodes will be the key forwards during 2013, with recruit Steve Milne roving the packs. Shaun Hampson will be vital in the ruck, with only Ben Hudson to back him up. LRT, Brian Lake and Nick Maxwell lead the defence.

Potential X-Factors: Everyone's eyes will be on Jaeger O'Meara, but equally as important wil be a couple of other recruits in Broadbent and Weardon. Coach Melbandy will be hoping all three can have an impact in 2013.

Question Marks: Can Nunawading's older defenders stand up to a full season of football? Can Taylor Walker repeat his heroics from 2012? Will Shaun Hampson do enough to adequately fill the ruck role if Ben Hudson doesn't play?

Summary: The Nuffas had a busy draft period, picking up a bevy of new (and recycled) players. For mine though, the Nuffas have some concerns to address up back and in the ruck before they can be consistently competitive. We'll definitely see improvement, but I don't know if it will be enough to reach the finals.

2. melbandy

melbandy Active Member

The Nuffa's appreciate your no holds bared assessment of our geriatric backline. Will print this out and stick it on the change room lockers of the backs for inspiration and motivation. If it doesn't work we will send the fundraising team out to visit some of our upcoming opponents for some practical persuasion. Tony, Silvio, Chris......

3. bama

bama Active Member

Thanks for the positive write up Chris you were pretty much spot on.
    Going for the youth is the key to the Uglies and while other teams in the next few years have players retiring or slowing down my boy will be hopefully hitting there straps.
    Luckily Vlastuin wasn't still there at 16 or I would've added another Tiger to the ranks,unfortunately the only Tiger to join this year is Nahas but there's always next year!

4. grav

grav Guest

Great previews Chris, this stuff is Gold! You're pretty much on the money with The Lefties assessment. However with 'breakout fever' about to set in, our 'no-frills' defence is primed to be selling frills on eBay by mid year due to an eminent glut. In fact most players at the club are welcoming the onset of this fever, with fwd trio Monfries/Harper/Saad all foregoing any semblance of personal hygiene in an effort to catch this overwhelming disease. The Lefties are modest enough to admit though that their season is likely to be defined by the fitness of Nic Nat and (dare I say it) Bailey.

5. graeme

graeme Guest

I am enjoying the write ups / reviews Chris. The format is excellent. If this is the standard you are setting for the year the rest of us had better sharpen our wordsmithing.

6. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

7. chris88

Couple of injuries out of tonight's game - Stringer went down under a tackle for the Dogs, while Hale has a recurring right foot problem. Both potentially more than just minor ... most importantly, for the Lefties - if Hale goes down that's going to really make things tough in the early going with NicNat already out.One thing I have noticed after reading through some of the arrivals for each team - I have to step up my drafting and trading. I think everyone and everything will be on offer both at mid year and end of the season this season.Thanks for the kind words too everyone. Its good to be able to take a break from the normal semi-serious writing job I have to do this.

8. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

chris88 wrote:

Marble Bar Misfits:

Key arrivals: Matt Rosa, Aaron Cornelius, Lachie Whitfield, Kristian Jaksch, Dean Terlich

Key departures: Courtney Dempsey, Aaron Hall, Daniel Giansiracusa, Darren Glass

Key players: Patrick Ryder will have to pull double time to lead both the forward and ruck divisions for Marble Bar this year. Stef Martin becomes a key player with his change of scenery and DPP F/R status. Brad Sewell, Shaun Grigg and Matthew Rosa lead a midfield looking to youngsters Green, Whitfield and Steven for support. Talented youngsters Rhys Stanley and Jeremy Cameron will join Martin, Ryder and Jarrad Waite up forward.

Potential X-Factors: The return of Nathan Bock (D/F), Andrew Embley and Mark Nicoski from injuries could provide the Misfits with a real boost. New recruit Terlich could step into the starting 15 if his form is good, while Danny Stanley and Sean Dempster will hope to build on good 2012 seasons in defence.

Question Marks: Can the Misfits returning from injury make an impact. How will high-profile draftees Whitfield and Jaksch go? Can Stef Martin play well enough to provide a chop-out to fellow R/F Paddy Ryder? Can defensive veterans Enright, Bock, Firrito and Thornton keep chugging along?

Summary: For a group of Misfits, a united Marble Bar have plenty to look forward to in 2013. The return of a number of players from injury, as well as improving young players, should most certainly see coach Len and his squad enjoy more wins than losses this season. Will be there and thereabouts when the whips are cracking. Two key injuries not yet fixed in Bock and Waite, as you say, it's a team of ifs...
    Still last year excluding the bye rounds (where we won 3 straight) the Misfits averaged a pitiful 1145 pts per week. This year, even with those two out we should avg 1365, with them in 1410, without any player improving their average. 19% plus improvement, without any improvement. The faithful are getting excited, the zimmer frames are shaking, stuff may be about to happen our Marble bar way :)

9. grav

grav Guest

chris88 wrote:
    Couple of injuries out of tonight's game - Stringer went down under a tackle for the Dogs, while Hale has a recurring right foot problem. Both potentially more than just minor ... most importantly, for the Lefties - if Hale goes down that's going to really make things tough in the early going with NicNat already out.One thing I have noticed after reading through some of the arrivals for each team - I have to step up my drafting and trading. I think everyone and everything will be on offer both at mid year and end of the season this season.Thanks for the kind words too everyone. Its good to be able to take a break from the normal semi-serious writing job I have to do this. Hale - ouch :( message to Nic Nat - come back to the dinner table mate, your calf blood pudding is getting cold

10. snoz

snoz Moderator

chris88 wrote:
    Gundagai Grasshoppers: Key arrivals: Sam Mitchell, Pat Karnezis, Tyson Goldsack, Jake Stringer, Brett Goodes, Dan Currie. Key departures: Matty Wright, Stewart Crameri, Sam Docherty (sort of), Matthew Scarlett, Luke Power Key players: The midfield is where the Grasshoppers' strength lays - Mitchell, ROK, Rock Lobster (F/M) Liam Anthony and the rising Taylor Adams make for a nice set-up. Lenny Hayes is ready to fire too after serious post-season surgery. A number of the new arrivals - including Goodes and Dan Currie have the chance to make an impact. Aaron Sandilands continued injury woes make Jono Griffin a key player. Potential X-Factors: Coach Simonoz would be relatively content after a busy draft and trade period. A number of his pick-ups, including Brett Goodes, Pat Karnezis and Daniel Currie, have the potential to make an immediate difference. Matthew Suckling will be closely monitored with hopes of improved scoring. Question Marks: Can Jono Griffin shoulder the load left by Sandi's injury? Will Currie contribute in the ruck? Which, if any, of the Grasshoppers younger brigade will fire? Will Gundagai's forwards score enough points consistently to ensure the team is competitive?Who will step into the breach left by high-profile retirees? Summary: Simonoz has drafted well, addressing needs with his picks. However this team may come up a touch short this year. Retirements and injury have already made an impact, and worries over the Grasshoppers' forwardline persist. Much of Gundagai's hopes rest with its midfield - when it fires, the Grasshoppers should fly. Wow.....really great work Chris, very impressed. The Grasshoppers (albeit without a forward line) will fly........maybe, possibly......

11. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

Simonoz wrote:
    chris88 wrote:
    Gundagai Grasshoppers: Key arrivals: Sam Mitchell, Pat Karnezis, Tyson Goldsack, Jake Stringer, Brett Goodes, Dan Currie. Key departures: Matty Wright, Stewart Crameri, Sam Docherty (sort of), Matthew Scarlett, Luke Power Key players: The midfield is where the Grasshoppers' strength lays - Mitchell, ROK, Rock Lobster (F/M) Liam Anthony and the rising Taylor Adams make for a nice set-up. Lenny Hayes is ready to fire too after serious post-season surgery. A number of the new arrivals - including Goodes and Dan Currie have the chance to make an impact. Aaron Sandilands continued injury woes make Jono Griffin a key player. Potential X-Factors: Coach Simonoz would be relatively content after a busy draft and trade period. A number of his pick-ups, including Brett Goodes, Pat Karnezis and Daniel Currie, have the potential to make an immediate difference. Matthew Suckling will be closely monitored with hopes of improved scoring. Question Marks: Can Jono Griffin shoulder the load left by Sandi's injury? Will Currie contribute in the ruck? Which, if any, of the Grasshoppers younger brigade will fire? Will Gundagai's forwards score enough points consistently to ensure the team is competitive?Who will step into the breach left by high-profile retirees? Summary: Simonoz has drafted well, addressing needs with his picks. However this team may come up a touch short this year. Retirements and injury have already made an impact, and worries over the Grasshoppers' forwardline persist. Much of Gundagai's hopes rest with its midfield - when it fires, the Grasshoppers should fly. Wow.....really great work Chris, very impressed. The Grasshoppers (albeit without a forward line) will fly........maybe, possibly...... Karnezis looking very good, regret trading him but fact is I would of delisted him if it wasn't for you wanting him in a trade! Well done :)

12. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Encouraging comments harder to come by as you work your way towards the bottom.

13. snoz

snoz Moderator

I dunno TiB......with my new wonderkid shoring up my fwd line, could be the year of the grasshopper. PattyK, come on down.....

14. TerryinBangkok

Simonoz wrote:
    I dunno TiB......with my new wonderkid shoring up my fwd line, could be the year of the grasshopper. PattyK, come on down..... My comments were directed more at Chris, as we reach an hiatus in the team reviews (in other words, Simon, Chris is probably now scratching his head wondering how to deliver 'mediocre' without making it feel like a shot to the gut, as we get closer and closer to MY team). Walesy's lovechild Patty could end up being viewed as the inspirational trade of the year. Certainly will score more than Fev or that bloke Lockett whacked.

15. snoz

snoz Moderator

Ah yes.......have you noticed I'm really not following stuff these days, must be losing it.

16. chris88

Sorry about the pause in the reviews guys - I've been utterly under the pump with deadlines at work and lots of busy family things. I intend on finishing the reviews off either just before, or during, the long weekend. That way they can be loaded up on the site homepage perhaps just after the long weekend (here in Victoria)

17. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Real life is a bitch, I'd make it my bitch but it comes with too much baggage..

18. TerryinBangkok

Simonoz wrote:
    Ah yes.......have you noticed I'm really not following stuff these days, must be losing it. Understanding..............and sometimes even sympathy are a feature of ORFFA. /Portals/0/User%20Images/drunken%20grasshopper.jpg

19. snoz

snoz Moderator

..........this is why i love ORFFA, such warmth & understanding

20. chris88

<table width='100%' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='0' border='0' align='left' id='tblPostBody53527] <td valign='top' align='left' style='width: 100%;] <p class='Forum_Normal' id='spBody] Powlett Plains Packers <p class='Forum_Normal' id='spBody] <p class='Forum_Normal' id='spBody] <p class='Forum_Normal' id='spBody]Key arrivals: Troy Chaplin, Tom Bellchambers, Brodie Grundy, Sam Colquhoun, Taylor Garner, Scott Lycett <p class='Forum_Normal' id='spBody] <p class='Forum_Normal' id='spBody]Key departures: Nat Fyfe, Graeme Johncock, Joel Corey, Chad Cornes, Ryan Lester <p class='Forum_Normal' id='spBody] <p class='Forum_Normal' id='spBody] <p class='Forum_Normal' id='spBody]Key players: Kane Cornes and David Armitage lead a midfield with a bit of youth and experience. Hopefully Tom Scully and Luke Ball can lend good support. Up forward it is all about Riewoldt (Nick) and Buddy Franklin, while a solid defensive unit is led by new recruit Chaplin, veteran Rob Murphy, Chris Newman and Harry the Brazilian. The much improved Tom Bellchambers is the ruck lynchpin. <p class='Forum_Normal' id='spBody] <p class='Forum_Normal' id='spBody] <p class='Forum_Normal' id='spBody] <p class='Forum_Normal' id='spBody] <p class='Forum_Normal' id='spBody]Potential X-Factors: Luke Hodge (and his fitness) is a major X-Factor here. If/when fit, he could make a big difference to this side. Plenty of youngsters are also ready to make their mark - Billie Smedts, Tom Lynch (once he is over his injury), Claye Beams, Scott Lycett and Taylor Garner. <p class='Forum_Normal' id='spBody] <p class='Forum_Normal' id='spBody] <p class='Forum_Normal' id='spBody] <p class='Forum_Normal' id='spBody]Question Marks: Can Hodge, Lynch and draftee Grundy get fit and have an impact? has coach Philosoraptor gone in to 2013 too top heavy with four ruckmen? Can Nick Riewoldt deliver another great scoring year? Can Luke Ball fire? Which of the youngsters will step up? <p class='Forum_Normal' id='spBody] <p class='Forum_Normal' id='spBody] <p class='Forum_Normal' id='spBody]Summary: Powlett Plains had a very busy draft and trade period, addressing some needs but leaving a few question marks still. The Packers' defence is solid, but beyond Franklin and Riewoldt, the forwards are young and a little unproven. And even though Nat Fyfe's exit might be keenly felt, there's plenty of potential down on the Plains, and if few of the youngsters can break through, this team could make serious waves in 2013. Let's wait and see.