2013 ORFFA Team Previews

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by chris88, Feb 26, 2013.

1. graeme

graeme Guest

good to see you back on the case Chris. Had been thinking about moving the team to Aorangi to get some coverage!
    I was a bit surprised to see that you did not include Nat Fyfe as a key departure from the Plains.

2. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Do they still call him 'Stiffy' in Aorangi?

3. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

chels wrote: good to see you back on the case Chris. Had been thinking about moving the team to Aorangi to get some coverage! I was a bit surprised to see that you did not include Nat Fyfe as a key departure from the Plains. Hmmm, that's weird - I did have his name down in an edit I did after posting the original team preview. Must not have saved. Easy fixed.

4. graeme

graeme Guest

not in midwinter TiB

5. TerryinBangkok

A few ACLs over the weekend will likely affect the odds.

6. graeme

graeme Guest

Feel for you TiB - and sNoZ. A few less than kind hearted coaches might think of the injuries to Johnson and Suckling as a bonus for their already strong squads - but not me.
    My mangy bag of shirkers and misfits will continue their low key start to the year, on occasion showing a little bit of form here and there, but only to deceive long term. Move on guys, there is no threat from over the Tasman Sea..

7. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Nor over Marble Bar way chels, currently my injury ward resembles RPA on a busy night...

8. TerryinBangkok

Indeed chels. Often (but not very) wondered if any of these fantasy teams have Stiffy and Johnson in the same back line or Cox and Johnson up forward.

9. chris88

Venus Bay Vultures:
    Key arrivals: Jeremy Howe, Jeff Garlett, Nick Malceski, Stiffy Johncock, Clinton Young, Matt Shaw, Sam Docherty Key departures: Brock McLean, James Frawley, Brent Moloney, Matt Bate, Anthony Morabito, David Ellard, Pat Karnezis, Tyson Goldsack Key players: Coach Fitzy's spinning wheel of trade fun has landed a few players who might prove to be key to the Vulture's 2013 efforts. Malceski and Johncock will stiffen (pardon the pun) defence, with help from keys Bryce Gibbs and Jack Watts. Jobe Watson leads a solid midfield alongside Gaff, Pearce, Kerr and Mundy. Up forward Howe and Blair will need support from MPPs Watts and Stiffy, as well as Garlett. Kreuzer will, for the most part, carry the ruck duties. Potential X-Factors: A relatively solid what you see is what you get” team. Fitzy will be looking for a youngster of two to step up, and towards Shaun Higgins to remain fit for more than one consecutive game. Question Marks: Can Shaun Higgins stay fit for more than one consecutive game. Can all the new recruits make a mark. Where will key MPPs Watts and Johncock play? Can Zac Dawson get a Brownlow vote? What will happen if Kreuzer goes down? Summary: Coach Fitzy has attracted plenty of good new talent through the door at Venus Bay, but will the Carrion-eaters be stung by the players traded away - particularly McLean and Moloney. A good deep midfield will help the Vultures, and if the forwards and backs can stay injury free, the Vultures could swoop into the finals.

10. chris88

Wagga Wagga Wombats:
    Key arrivals: Sam Mayes, Kane Mitchell, Jarrod Witts, Courtney Dempsey Key departures: Paul Bower, Justin Koschitzke, Matt Rosa Key players: Another of the new franchises has a distinctly youthful feel. However, the key players are a bit more seasoned. MPP Brendan Goddard should mainly play up back, supported by Scott Thompson (of the D variety), Brent Reilly and Jared Rivers. Dayne Beams, David Swallow and Ryan Bastinac are the midfield leaders, along with Lewis Jetta, Goddard and old man Tuck. Jetta, new recruit Sam Mayes and big man Dean Cox will use their MPP to support a thin forward line led by Jay Schulz. However Cox may mainly be needed in the ruck, with only Witts to support. Potential X-Factors: Lots of young developing talent amongst the Wombats, with guys like Mayes, Jetta, Dylan Shiel, Dion Prestia and others all potential x-factors if they can score consistently. Dean Cox may however be the biggest x-factor of them all - if he struggles or isn't fit, the Wombats could be looking for a burrow to hide in. Question Marks: Can Dean Cox stay fit? Can a thin forwardline do the job consistently? Can Tuck deliver another stellar year? Which of the youngsters will break through?
    Summary: They say defence wins premierships, but Wagga Wagga may well be taking the adage too literally. An excess of midfielders and a lack of depth up forward could be a big concern, especially if youngster Mayes doesn't play regularly, or if Cox is needed in the ruck. That said, a solid midfield and defence counts in the Wombats' favour, and they should be there and thereabouts for the finals.

11. chris88

Waikikamoocow Incorrigibles:
    Key arrivals: Nathan Fyfe, Brad Crouch, Nick Graham, Matt Wright, Stewart Crameri, Brent Macaffer, Brent Staker, Tayte Pears, Angus Graham (holy hell). Key departures: Troy Chaplin, Tom Bellchambers, Sam Mitchell, Sam Docherty, Ricky Dyson, Aaron Edwards, James Podsiadly Key players: Harry Taylor and Michael Hibberd are the lynchpins in defence, with help from Brent Staker (when he gets fit). Jarrad McVeigh, Nathan Fyfe, Dan Hannebery and Jay-Z Ziebell are joined by MPPs Mitch Robinson, Matt Wright, as well as new recruit Brad Crouch in the middle. Sauce Jacobs carries the ruck division, while the Hoff, the Cram, the Robbo and … no, I'll stop this now - Brent Macaffer will play forward. Potential X-Factors: A number of the new recruits are big x-factors. Fyfe if he stays fit could be anything. Crouch and Graham could make an immediate impact. Macaffer and Staker the same. Possibly the biggest x-factor for mine though is Tony Armstrong. If he can continue his shining pre-season form, he could make a massive difference up back for the Cow kickers. Question Marks: Will Fyfe stay fit? Maybe more importantly, will Jacobs stay fit (and thus prevent Angus Graham from getting a game)? Will Crouch and Nick Graham make an immediate impact? Can Wright and Stewie Crameri bolster the line-up? Summary: Coach Chels enjoyed a Fitzy-like level of manicness during draft and trade periods, and for mine, has improved his team noticeably. This squad is now quite solid and a bit deeper, even though it is probably in need of an extra forward and defender. However, if Angus Graham ends up getting a game for the Incorrigibles, you know things have quickly gone pear-shaped (and not Tayte Pears-shaped either).

12. chris88

Whitsunday Warriors:
    Key arrivals: Ollie Wines, Lachie Plowman, Josh Growden, Sam Gibson, Aaron Hall Key departures: Matty Broadbent, Jake Carlisle, Aaron Cornelius, Lucas Tapscott Key players: Grant Birchall, Jack Trengove and Steven Morris will have plenty to do up back with the injury to youngster Alex Johnson. Newcomer Lachie Plowman might get games. In the middle Ollie Wines joins Chris Judd, Rory Sloane, Travis Boak and Mick Barlow. The Tomahawk leads a forwardline with plenty of troops but quality still under a cloud. Matt Lobbe and Robbie Warnock are the rucks. Potential X-Factors: TiB desperately needs a couple of forwards to stand up to help Tom Hawkins, with Jonathon Patton the player most likely. Brett Ebert and Steven Motlop could also help. Matthew Lobbe could be a big x-factor in the ruck through his improvement, while Jackson Allen is an intriguing defensive prospect. Question Marks: Will Wines make his mark straight away? Can Judd step up his scoring without the UFC moves? Will another forward consistently offer support to Hawkins? Summary: Coach Terry drafted well in getting Wines and Plowman, but will his decision to delist Jake Carlisle and trade Matty Broadbent come back to haunt him. The Whitsundays are a still a work in progress - despite a solid starting 15 there isn't quite enough depth to be able to recommend them for a finals berth. That said, the team's core is still young, with some time and a bit of experience, the Warriors will start to build.

13. chris88

That's the lot I think. If anyone wishes to load them up on the TS main page, feel free - though Gundagai's preview may need editing given all things Suckling. Thoughts with fellow coaches TiB and Snoz with their respective injury dilemmas. It put things in perspective considering I was celebrating the efforts of my newcomers Walters, Hill, Newnes and Bewick before hearing about the injuries. There but for the grace of some deity go us all... Thanks all - hope for no more injuries and a great start to the season.

14. graeme

graeme Guest

May I be the first to say well done in completing and what a fine job you have done.
    Here at Waikik HQ we hope to 'go all the way with Tony A' - but if Sam Shaw and Matt Maguire come up well he may be an interchange player.
    As you know Chris trading in decent forwards is a struggle but MItch Robinson, Matt Wright, Stewart Crameri, Brent MacAffer, Brent Staker, Jamie Elliott, the Hoff (god bless) and your mate Chris Knight will probably be easily held by most defences. BTW, was the 'holy hell' for the number if 'ins' or the Angus Graham as an insurance policy for Sauce drafting.
    The good news is the that the pinot, shiraz and riesling all taste good win, lose or draw.

15. TerryinBangkok

Thanks Chris - each and every one an interesting read. For the Cows, they must be currently kicking themselves over the current NAB form of Moloney, Karnezis and McLean. I know I am over Cornelius. Requires a lot of patience this game. For the Warriors, our acquisition was actually Aaron Hall, Aaron Black already being a vital part of our forward line (was so close to delisting him). Sad about AJ. Thought he was a shining light in the GF and was really looking forward to watching him develop this year. Even if he is out for the season, I will be sticking with the kid. However, I will be stunned if The Plowman does not make the 22 and get at least 8 games this year. More worrying is that Morris is having a fairly quiet pre-season compared to his rivals in Ellis and Vlastuin. Have a fair appreciation of Port's mid set-up and, unless they cook up a new role for him, suspect Broadbent may drop back to being a fringe player again, whereas Sam Gibson should represent the new order at North (must admit though their midfield is filled with talent). Not expecting Patton to be a high scorer this year, Mitch Brown at Geelong continues to live off the hype, while Motts will hopefully get more opportunities from Byrnes moving to Melbourne. The target for this year is not reflected in the win-loss ratio. The target is to just sit back under a tropical sun and watch Ollie tear it up.

16. Len

Thanks Chris, enjoyed them all, didn't agree with them all but that's what opinion pieces are all about. Your approach was much more disciplined than mine would have been and the format made it easy to follow. I do think that last years top 4 are probably this years also, but after that the immense young talent building in some teams will have a big impact. I invest roughly 10 times the effort into this comp than in SC, the keeper aspect allows you to build, recover & destroy and the fun is in the plot :)

17. Len

And at least one of us needs to get/exercise authorprivileges.

18. TerryinBangkok

Lenh191 wrote:
    Thanks Chris, enjoyed them all, didn't agree with them all but that's what opinion pieces are all about. Your approach was much more disciplined than mine would have been and the format made it easy to follow. I do think that last years top 4 are probably this years also, but after that the immense young talent building in some teams will have a big impact. I invest roughly 10 times the effort into this comp than in SC, the keeper aspect allows you to build, recover & destroy and the fun is in the plot :) Some of us less-fancied sides have already had our LTIs, while the top fancies have yet to enjoy the privilege. Many a twist and turn to come. For some, as Chris has noted, it could be season defining. Hopefully it won't happen, but it is a cruel game.

19. TerryinBangkok

Lenh191 wrote:
    And at least one of us needs to get/exercise authorprivileges. Pretty sure ant already has them Len. Maybe when someone else takes over the Commish role such things will be forthcoming.

20. chris88

chels wrote:

BTW, was the 'holy hell' for the number if 'ins' or the Angus Graham as an insurance policy for Sauce drafting. A bit of both Chels. More the fervent hope that Sauce stays fit (I do like him as a ruckman, and he carried my SC team last year) so that no-one ever has to see Angus Graham ruck again. But also that I hadn't realised how many changes you had made until I totalled through them. Wow.