2013 Round Review. Round 4

Discussion in 'Blog' started by walesy, Apr 21, 2013.

By walesy on Apr 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM
  1. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

As mentioned in the preamble, we are lucky enough to have Shenanigans putting in the work this week, doing most of the heavy lifting this week.

So give him a hand, and a few kind words as we dive into this week's review.

Sydney vs Geelong

Result: Geelong by 21

It was an epic game. 15 goals kicked in the first quarter gave us a taste of what could be, before the brakes were put on with both teams reasonably modest on the score board for the rest of the game, in comparison anyways.

Watching the game though, in particular, to the third quarter, harks my mind back to the pre-season, and my prediction that injuries would hit and Geelong would drop out of the eight this year. I gotta say, they way they are all playing- even if the injuries kick in, I don't see them dropping out. They're playing some magnificent footy.

Leading from the front for the Catters was none other than captain courageous, Joel Selwood who had 31 disposals, 18 of them contested and still managed an 81% disposal efficiency rating. Worth every last big of the 163SC that he put out!

Harry Taylor had one of those games out of the bag that he has, with 20 disposals and 2.3 for a very solid 125SC.

Not many poor scores from the Cats who were all firing, with even Mark Blicavs stepping up for a 47SC off 7 touches and 11 hitouts.

On Sydney's side, it was Kieren Jack who top scored. 29 disposals and 130SC for the tagger, sadly though his target, SJ, had a good one himself.

Nick Malceski was the only other Swan to score a ton, with 28 disposals and 123SC. A whole bunch of that (25) was uncontested in a fantasticly loose role.

Mid-pricer, Luke PARKER finally had a bad game, restricted to just 15 touches for a lowly 43SC.

Heroes: Joel Selwood, Harry Taylor, Kieren Jack, Nick Malceski

Villains: Luke PARKER

St Kilda vs Essendon

Result: Essendon by 37

I'm sure I could discuss Goddard, but no. I'm gunna open with 3 votes, J. Watson.

Jobe Watson was in ominous form, picking up 37 disposals, 18 contested touches an 81% efficiency and 2 goals for a 138SC. Surely that's Jobe's 3rd BOG for the year right?

Brent Stanton, Brendon Goddard, Cale Hooker, Michael Hurley, Michael HIBBERD, Scott Gumbleton and David Myers all ended up cracking the ton, with special notes going to Hurley, who was subbed off in the third with that 112, and Gumbleton, who looked very good, kicking 4.2 and could be a sneaky one to watch as a mid-priced cash cow. Particularly with games against GWS and Brisbane in the next few weeks.

Leigh Montagna top scored for the Saints with 29 disposals and 114SC, while
    Clinton Jones managed 110SC from 31 touches.

In the ruck, Ben McEvoy continues to impress, with 16 disposals and 27 hitouts for a solid 109SC.

From a fantasy point of view, St Kilda have been pretty sad, Siposs and Lee both being late withdrawals, while Nathan Wright managed just 7 touches for a 15SC.

Heroes: Jobe Watson, Michael Hurley, Michael HIBBERD, Scott Gumbleton

Villains: Nick Dal Santo

West Coast vs Carlton

Result: Carlton by 25

Scores spread evenly in a game of behinds, behinds, and more behinds (39 all up). Carlton jumped ahead early in what started and finished with inaccurate goal kicking. Fast starts by Chris Yarran, Heath Scotland and Brock McLean became big scores by the Blue small forwards Yaz (131 from 14 disposals, 5 tackles, 4 goals) and Jefferey Garlett (125, 21 disp, 7 tackles), while reborn-again (post sub) MID Brock McLean scored well with 125 (29 disp, 5 marks, 4 tackles) and swinger Andrew Walker finished with 109 off his 21 touches and 5 marks.

Have we witnessed the emergence of Malthouse's Process Before Wins” Carlton? Mick seemed to have one up on Woosha in this game, as West Coast were held goalless in the last.

The Frenchman, Mark LeCras, was almost a lone hand up forward for the West Coast, kicking 2.1 for 118, while Josh J. Kennedy (68) was kept fairly quiet by Lachie Henderson (69). Scott Selwood (125 off 32 disp, 8 tackles) and Luke Shuey (112, 25 disp, 4 tackles) couldn't do it all for the the Eagles. Captain Darren Glass (46) ate some grass while damaging his shoulder in the first, and fought on in vain. Probably should have been subbed instead of Jamie CRIPPS (46), as Glass played the game out with one arm ala Captain Hook.

Heroes: Brock McLean, Adam Selwood, Chris Yarran, Jefferey Garlett, Mark LeCras

Villains: Chris Judd, Dean Cox (oh captain, my captain, wherefore art thou?), Adam Selwood who played 4Q for just 22SC.

Gold Coast vs Port

Result: Port by 38

The story here is not 'I can't make a fist' GAJ (who was in plain old PermaCaptain form with 131 from 35 touches & 6 tackles), but rather a few men from Port who have continued their starring roles early in this 2013 season - Kane Cornes, 35 touches, 16 marks (160); Justin Westhoff, 20 touches, 11 marks, 3 goals (149); and Hamish Hartlett, 29 touches, 7 marks, 3 goals (144).

Port ran away with it in the second quarter and really just held fast for the rest of the game, carried by the previously named champions along with Jay Schulz, who kicked 4.1 but could only muster 76 from his 17 touches. Alipate Carlile (119) got amongst it often, Travis Boak (103) produced another captain's knock; while Domenic Cassisi (100) had a nice return to AFL. Robbie Gray removed the green vest late in the game for 17, making him a potential tasty downgrade target if he can get back to his 2011 form soon.

O'Meara showed why he was a pre-season lock with a cool 100 from 20 touches & a goal, while Jarrod Harbrow (102, 27 touches, 1 goal) and Charlie DIXON (103, 18 touches, 9 HO) were the other Suns to tonne up.

Heroes: Kane Cornes, Hamish Hartlett, Justin Westhoff, Gary Ablett[span style='font-size: 14px; color: #434343;], O'Meara,Oliver Wines

Villains: Joel WILKINSON, David SWALLOW, Rischitelli & Hinkley for red vesting Jake Neade in the 3rd (66 from 10 disp, 2 goals).

Melbourne vs GWS

Result: Melbourne by 41

A see-sawing game early, and it looked like GWS might take it away from Melbourne. Instead, Melbourne did what experienced teams should do, and that was walk all over GWS in the final quarter. GWS lead narrowly at the first three changes before seemingly switching off at ¾ time. Melbourne doubled their score in the final term and kicked their biggest score in a quarter for a bloody long time. Have Melbourne finally broken the spell? Time will tell…

Shannon Byrnes led the field with 128 from 23 touches and 3 goals, and there were 7 other Dee tonnes, notably Michael EVANS (116). Who, I hear you ask? He played four games in 2011, and is rookie priced at just $115,900. Given all the Melbourne rookies he wasn't a blip on my radar, but looked great kicking 3.1 in that big final quarter. Jeremy HOWE (86) also kicked 3 in the last, for a total of 4.1 for the game. Viney was subbed in the third after 5 touches and 9SC, hurting those who had him on the park. Dean Terlich notched up a neat 62 for those that held him.

For GWS, Dylan Shiel (111), Tom SCULLY (109) & Adam Treloar (106) were the only tonnes. Premium rookie @Whitfled|L|GWS was oh so close with 96, again rewarding those who spent the extra dosh on him, but he did cop a knock in the last term so keep an eye on him. Almost forgotten O'hAilpin|S|GWS came back into the forward line and hit the scoreboard with 5.3 for a tidy 90.

Probably only relevant to those in the draft leagues, but the battle of the rucks was a fairly even one. Mark Jamar (107) and Max GAWN
    (97 in his first game of 2013) took the biscuits over Jonathan Giles (97) & Setanta.

Heroes: Shannon Byrnes, Jack Grimes (120), Dylan Shiel, Adam Treloar, Tom SCULLY
    , Mark Jamar,
    Max GAWN, Lachie Whitfield, Matt Jones (86)

Villains: Jack Viney

North Melbourne vs Brisbane

Result: North Melbourne by 63

The first minute had everybody yelling ‘MAJAK', and he was toast of the town (I can only imagine what Jason was yelling). After starring with 44 from just first 15 minutes, Majak DAW copped a knock in a head clash with Ben CUNNINGTON during a Daniel Merrett tackle, and was subbed out with concussion. Not long after, North ran away to a 5 goal lead that the Lions never looked like denting.

Andrew Swallow did give us a good solid back-of-the-head falcon to laugh at in the second term, and looked for a short time like another concussed Roo before he finished strong with 99. Biggest news on the SC injury front was McGrath|A|BRL, subbed out in the first term with a right leg injury for the great big donut. Tapping in was Big Paparone (60), and he didn't let the Lions faithful down by leading their tally with three goals by full time.

Putting to rest the talk of NM getting pantsed in the premiership quarter, North had a massive third term blowing out to 70 points at one stage, and carried that through to the end of the game. Drew Petrie (120) & Lindsay Thomas (110) both kicked 4.2, while Sam Gibson (99) led the disposal count with 30. BOG was one Scott D. Thompson, who garnered 25 touches, ten marks, a goal and roughly 1000 spoils for a big 164. S.D.T definitely had Jonathan Brown (32 from 0.2) covered today. Brent Moloney easily covered his BE with 79, but if you have Pearce Hanley (71) keep watch as he sat out the last quarter with an iced left knee.

Heroes: Scott D. Thompson, Jed Adcock, Daniel Wells, Lindsay Thomas, Dayne Zorko, Sam Mayes, Marco Paparone.

Villains: Daniel Merrett, Stefan Martin, Daniel Rich. Unlucky it may be, but Ashley McGrath has to be here, too.

Thank you Shen, you're an utter boss mate.

Now me, I had a pretty good week in the fantasy world this week. Move up in most of my comps which is always a good thing, and probably still in the hunt in 4/5 of them. (Damn you Viney in Supercoach! :D)

How have you gone? Still in the hunt at this early stage?

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by walesy, Apr 21, 2013.