2014 Sky Racing Star Stable - Spring Carnival Comp

Discussion in 'On the punt' started by Bearfly, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Post on the front page for details on where to join the comp including league code for the TS league I setup - jump in then start discussing horses to consider, strategies, trades, etc here

2. Bearfly

Well, looks like we have a fairly decent size league this spring - bring on the next 7 weeks :) Have gone for a bit of a mix in my initial 10 horse stable - some for today (Epsom, Metrop, Turnbull - including my fave warrior Happy Trails), a couple of good chances for the Caulfield/Thousand Guineas, and a couple of others. Also got about 40 on my watch list and ready to swing the 2 Japanese horses in for the Caulfield Cup (although I think Admire Raki is more suited to the open spaces of Flemington for the Melbourne Cup) How has everyone else fared setting up their stables? Feel free to comment away here or on the blog post.

3. Bearfly

Mixed bag for the Bear in week 1. [span style='color: #000000; background: #ffffff;]Pretty happy with Lucia Valentina and He's Your Man, plus Moreira as jock. [span style='color: #000000; background: #ffffff;]But disappointed with the ride by Rodd on Happy Trails, and Spillway might end up being sacked after a lacklustre effort in the Metrop - and Hayes didn't fire today like I expected him to. [span style='color: #000000; background: #ffffff;]Now time to watch developments leading up to the Guineas meeting and the Caulfield Cup - still like Happy Trails chances in the Cox Plate though.

4. snoz

snoz Moderator

Not a bad effort from the clueless snoz first up......sitting 8/16 with just under 800k in winnings. Only real blemish was listening to the small flightless bird (chels) and removing Chautauqua from the Gigli who promptly bolted home & sent out Spillway in the Metro instead - his next run will be at the knackery along with La Amistad........three runners ready to go next week at Caulfield to be joined by two nags yet to be determined.

5. Bearfly

Simonoz wrote:
    Not a bad effort from the clueless snoz first up......sitting 8/16 with just under 800k in winnings. Only real blemish was listening to the small flightless bird (chels) and removing Chautauqua from the Gigli who promptly bolted home & sent out Spillway in the Metro instead - his next run will be at the knackery along with La Amistad........three runners ready to go next week at Caulfield to be joined by two nags yet to be determined. Definitely look to get Chautauqua back in for it's next run Snoz, looks almost as good as Lankan Rupee did last year and will win again the way he's going!!! Agree with the Spillway and La Amistad sentiments, both out of Caulfield Cup calculations so Spillway will make way for the Jap horses (have to work out how to get both in for Caulfield Cup), possibly Star Rolling the other to get sent to the paddock. Am looking at having 4 going around next week, but that probably will change with Gris Caro not living up to expectations yesterday either (although I do think he could figure in the prizemoney in the Caulfield Cup). Interesting to note that the leaders in week 1 all had stables full of 10 horses running, so expect them to drop away a fair bit over the next couple of rounds unless they use their wildcard 3rd trades over next 2 trade periods!!! Would've preferred to get close to the million mark first week, but trainer selection was a bit of a dud (think it's time to stick with Waller who will be sending a big chunk of his team to Melbourne now). Jockey selection over next couple of weeks will be crucial too, although I did hit an ok one first up with Moriera

6. snoz

snoz Moderator

Hey Bear......couple of questions. Is changing the jockey each week a trade? Thoughts on these nags running Saturday; probably picking one of them but cant split em: Dear Demi - Stakes Bull Point - Toorak Afleet Espirit - 1000 Guineas Lumosty - 10000 Guineas

7. Bearfly

Simonoz wrote:
    Hey Bear......couple of questions. Is changing the jockey each week a trade? Thoughts on these nags running Saturday; probably picking one of them but cant split em: Dear Demi - Stakes Bull Point - Toorak Afleet Espirit - 1000 Guineas Lumosty - 10000 Guineas Hey Snoz, Jockey and trainer changes don't count towards your trades, so they can be changed on a weekly basis. Of those 4 horses, I would lean towards Lumosty and Dear Demi just ahead of Afleet Esprit with Bull Point last. My reasoning is, Lumosty has shown it is crying out for the mile and absolutely killed it's last start (albeit in lower class). Dear Demi is a class horse and will figure highly in the finish. Afleet Esprit, alot to like about her last run and will be right in the mix. Bull Point is probably the weakest chance of the lot being in a high quality field (doesn't even figure in my early quaddie thoughts, although could change after I closely study the form). Am pretty happy my old mate Happy Trails is going around again on Saturday, gives me an extra runner I didn't count on :)

8. snoz

snoz Moderator

...........and week two is about to jump. Luck lads...... Happy running out there is a huge bonus Bear; doesn't happen much here at all where they trot em out the following week, except for the Triple Crown. Thanks for your input above mate, much appreciated. Chels - you sliced me with Chautauqua. I'm coming for you this week Kiwi. Go sNoZ Go