2014 Trading Games

Discussion in 'Leagues' started by BrockyFreo, Feb 18, 2014.

1. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

How about:

DEF: Mitchell*, Shaw, Hurn*, Guthrie*, McDonald*, Laidler*, Georgiou*
    MID: Ablett*, Rockliff*, Liberatore, Beams, Thomas*, Tyson*, Michie*, Polec*, Ellis, Dunstan*
    RUC: Lobbe*, Sandi*, Derickx*, Thurlow*
    FWD: Dangerfield*, Martin*, Dixon, Caddy*, Daniher*, JKH, Rohan*, Impey*.

* denotes common players

That's 24 players in common (so more than last time), I don't think it's completely perfect but it fills all the criteria.

<ul> <li> Patton goes for JKH (he's a must and he or Rohan will score just as much as Patton)</li> <li>Johnson then moves into Shaw to get the GWS player in (risk you wouldn't take with your normal team but it's not like the ball isn't going to be down that end).</li> <li>Not sure how you can leave out Ellis either? Easily one of the top mid rookies. Him in for Crouch.</li> <li>If Swan goes into Beams, then with spare cash Macrae (too awkwardly priced imo) can go back into Libber.</li> <li>Then just upgrade Pav to Dixon (I don't really mind having Dixon if others want R/F)</li> <li>$22,000 Spare cash.</li> </ul>

2. warsaken

warsaken Active Member

port_leschenault wrote:
    How about:

MID: Ablett*, Rockliff*, Liberatore, Beams, Thomas*, Tyson*, Michie*, Polec*, Ellis, Dunstan*

* denotes common players

That's 24 players in common (so more than last time), I don't think it's completely perfect but it fills all the criteria.

<ul> <li> Patton goes for JKH (he's a must and he or Rohan will score just as much as Patton)</li> <li>Johnson then moves into Shaw to get the GWS player in (risk you wouldn't take with your normal team but it's not like the ball isn't going to be down that end).</li> <li>Not sure how you can leave out Ellis either? Easily one of the top mid rookies. Him in for Crouch.</li> <li>If Swan goes into Beams, then with spare cash Macrae (too awkwardly priced imo) can go back into Libber.</li> <li>Then just upgrade Pav to Dixon (I don't really mind having Dixon if others want R/F)</li> <li>$22,000 Spare cash.</li> </ul> Nice work PL. My team was just thrown together in a couple mins and was really just about getting some PODs. Every man and his dog seems to be picking Beams & Libba this year (and with good reason).

3. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

port_leschenault wrote:
    How about:

* denotes common players

<ul> <li> Patton goes for JKH (he's a must and he or Rohan will score just as much as Patton)</li> <li>Johnson then moves into Shaw to get the GWS player in (risk you wouldn't take with your normal team but it's not like the ball isn't going to be down that end).</li> <li>Not sure how you can leave out Ellis either? Easily one of the top mid rookies. Him in for Crouch.</li> <li>If Swan goes into Beams, then with spare cash Macrae (too awkwardly priced imo) can go back into Libber.</li> <li>Then just upgrade Pav to Dixon (I don't really mind having Dixon if others want R/F)</li> <li>$22,000 Spare cash.</li> </ul> How about we just lock in this team. It will do :)

4. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

warsaken wrote:
    port_leschenault wrote:
    How about:

* denotes common players

<ul> <li> Patton goes for JKH (he's a must and he or Rohan will score just as much as Patton)</li> <li>Johnson then moves into Shaw to get the GWS player in (risk you wouldn't take with your normal team but it's not like the ball isn't going to be down that end).</li> <li>Not sure how you can leave out Ellis either? Easily one of the top mid rookies. Him in for Crouch.</li> <li>If Swan goes into Beams, then with spare cash Macrae (too awkwardly priced imo) can go back into Libber.</li> <li>Then just upgrade Pav to Dixon (I don't really mind having Dixon if others want R/F)</li> <li>$22,000 Spare cash.</li> </ul> Nice work PL. My team was just thrown together in a couple mins and was really just about getting some PODs. Every man and his dog seems to be picking Beams & Libba this year (and with good reason). Heh, I don't have Libber, if Fuller was playing you'd just have him in the def and upgrade Lib more. I think Beams/Thomas are too cheap to pass up and with rookies so expensive this year you need every spare coin you can get.

5. bgt2110

bgt2110 Moderator Staff Member

I played Trading Games the past couple of years but unfortunately can't go around this year so take this post how you will but what I love about the concept is that the team wasn't out to win the 50K but to out trade your opponents to end up with the best and highest scoring team. To sort the good from the chaff you need a team that requires coaches to make decisions each week, those 50/50 type players who can score well one week and then kill you for a few before returning to scoring well. The ones who are not in everyones SC squad but will give you a basis to build on. I would suggest : S Mitchell to Scott Thompson Libber to S Selwood Michie to Aish Lobbe to Ryder Martin to Cloke Dixon to Monfries If you want somebody independent to form your squad I will put my hand up, love the concept and hope to play again next year when I won't have to open a third account to play lol

6. Mad_Mattigan

Mad_Mattigan Member

anthak wrote:
    port_leschenault wrote:
    How about:

* denotes common players

<ul> <li> Patton goes for JKH (he's a must and he or Rohan will score just as much as Patton)</li> <li>Johnson then moves into Shaw to get the GWS player in (risk you wouldn't take with your normal team but it's not like the ball isn't going to be down that end).</li> <li>Not sure how you can leave out Ellis either? Easily one of the top mid rookies. Him in for Crouch.</li> <li>If Swan goes into Beams, then with spare cash Macrae (too awkwardly priced imo) can go back into Libber.</li> <li>Then just upgrade Pav to Dixon (I don't really mind having Dixon if others want R/F)</li> <li>$22,000 Spare cash.</li> </ul> How about we just lock in this team. It will do :) + 1 (obviously, rookie selection dependent) I think there's enough unusual/uncommon selections (Shaw, Guthrie, Rockliff, Thomas, Dixon, Daniher) to allow room to move for those coaches with itchy trade fingers. We only have until Friday to get the team sorted, (yes, I know only Coll and Freo are actually locked in) as we need a full team to be included in a league. Then we can scramble around chasing the best, selected rookies through next week.

7. anthak

I disagree that we should be making trades during round 1. Maybe just once, when the week 2 teams are announced, but no more.
    We'll all be in the same boat anyway, so I don't see how it's very important to make late changes. Not when there's the risk some people won't notice the change needs to be made and are left with a different starting team.

I reckon keep it simple. Pick a team now. P_L's latest seems to be a goer. Maybe make a couple of changes Thursday night (based on announced teams). Everyone can know that what team is decided on at midnight Thursday is it, so everyone has Friday to update the team and lock it in.
    Next week there's a game on Thursday, which makes it tricky. We could potentially confirm Ade &amp; Gee players during week and then do the Midnight Thursday deadline again for all remaining players.

What do yas think?

I'd like to write a post for the blog section to try to drum up some interest, but I want to write some sort of solid plan so that people know what to expect etc. I've been waiting for us to settle on a team.

8. Mad_Mattigan

Mad_Mattigan Member

Totally agree re: trading in rnd 1. Was just referring to a comp wide refining of rookie players who actually ge picked. We want to avoid the situation we had last year with a number of rookies on the team list who didn't okay until weeks into the season. This just took away valuable cash generation and wasted trades. Alternately, the only real concern we have will be around the rookies, so we bias our selections towards those teams who play earlier in the two weekends. This just means we'd miss rookies from Carl/Port and WCE/WB. Surely coaches signing on for Trading Games will be keen enough to jump online each Thurs night?

9. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

It looks like a good team as above so maybe everyoen should be updatign to that team for now, pending any late changes. I think if it is tweaked this week then if it is finalised by 10am Friday that gives people lunch or after school/work to make a minimal number of changes. Followign on from Ant and MM's posts - partiocualrly MM's - maybe we have a policy of including as many week 1 rookies as possible - ie Martin, Cunningham, Langdon, Lloyd, and any other SC relevant Coll/Freo/Syd/GWS/GCS/Rich rookies get slotted in as long as they make the 22 named on Thursday night, the vest could be an issue but means less chnages or problems in Week 2 (although could potentially end up weakenign the team). Ant's comments re- week 2 changes seem faily good, i think someone thought we coudl fly blind week 2 but again a Friday 10am deadlinemeans the 22 have been namedfor the Friday and Saturday games, leave Kerstand and Crouch out and it should be sweet !

10. TheTassieHawk

anthak wrote:
    I disagree that we should be making trades during round 1. Maybe just once, when the week 2 teams are announced, but no more.
    We'll all be in the same boat anyway, so I don't see how it's very important to make late changes. Not when there's the risk some people won't notice the change needs to be made and are left with a different starting team.

I reckon keep it simple. Pick a team now. P_L's latest seems to be a goer. Maybe make a couple of changes Thursday night (based on announced teams). Everyone can know that what team is decided on at midnight Thursday is it, so everyone has Friday to update the team and lock it in.
    Next week there's a game on Thursday, which makes it tricky. We could potentially confirm Ade & Gee players during week and then do the Midnight Thursday deadline again for all remaining players.

What do yas think?

I'd like to write a post for the blog section to try to drum up some interest, but I want to write some sort of solid plan so that people know what to expect etc. I've been waiting for us to settle on a team. mate I reckon you can do the blog woudl be great to boost numbers and eevryoen will be focusssing otn ehir own team pretty soon maybe include a statement that this is the current team, with soem minor tweaking to occur afetr teams are named (no details) and then direct them to this forum so they end up with the correct and final TG team !!

11. anthak

TheTassieHawk wrote:
    It looks like a good team as above so maybe everyoen should be updatign to that team for now, pending any late changes. I think if it is tweaked this week then if it is finalised by 10am Friday that gives people lunch or after school/work to make a minimal number of changes. Followign on from Ant and MM's posts - partiocualrly MM's - maybe we have a policy of including as many week 1 rookies as possible - ie Martin, Cunningham, Langdon, Lloyd, and any other SC relevant Coll/Freo/Syd/GWS/GCS/Rich rookies get slotted in as long as they make the 22 named on Thursday night, the vest could be an issue but means less chnages or problems in Week 2 (although could potentially end up weakenign the team). Ant's comments re- week 2 changes seem faily good, i think someone thought we coudl fly blind week 2 but again a Friday 10am deadline means the 22 have been named for the Friday and Saturday games, leave Kerstand and Crouch out and it should be sweet !

I think we need to make the deadline of having the team sorted on the Thursday night. If its changed Friday morning, people may miss the changes. I know I may myself. I'm gonna be really pressed to even find time for my own team this Friday :(
    Can we please make it Thursday night. Midnight AEDT. ?

If we set the cutoff for midnight Thursday, I was also hoping to do another blog post at that time with final team.
    I'll do one this morning, and then Thursday night.

12. TheTassieHawk

anthak wrote:
    TheTassieHawk wrote:
    It looks like a good team as above so maybe everyoen should be updatign to that team for now, pending any late changes. I think if it is tweaked this week then if it is finalised by 10am Friday that gives people lunch or after school/work to make a minimal number of changes. Followign on from Ant and MM's posts - partiocualrly MM's - maybe we have a policy of including as many week 1 rookies as possible - ie Martin, Cunningham, Langdon, Lloyd, and any other SC relevant Coll/Freo/Syd/GWS/GCS/Rich rookies get slotted in as long as they make the 22 named on Thursday night, the vest could be an issue but means less chnages or problems in Week 2 (although could potentially end up weakenign the team). Ant's comments re- week 2 changes seem faily good, i think someone thought we coudl fly blind week 2 but again a Friday 10am deadline means the 22 have been named for the Friday and Saturday games, leave Kerstand and Crouch out and it should be sweet !

I think we need to make the deadline of having the team sorted on the Thursday night. If its changed Friday morning, people may miss the changes. I know I may myself. I'm gonna be really pressed to even find time for my own team this Friday :(

If we set the cutoff for midnight Thursday, I was also hoping to do another blog post at that time with final team.
    SOMEONE (not sure who)will need to finalsie the team so if they think they can do it by 9pm or midnight Thursday MELB time then obviously go for it !!

13. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

We're starting with Ablett this year, last year trading him in was a POD.

14. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

This time, I've called in my agent code-named Moxtway and his team Tornado Traders coming off a draft league win last year.

15. anthak

16. anthak

TheTassieHawk wrote:
    anthak wrote:
    TheTassieHawk wrote:

SOMEONE (not sure who)will need to finalsie the team so if they think they can do it by 9pm or midnight Thursday MELB time then obviously go for it !! I am defs available to do that if need be. Im sure therell be a few of us on here after teams are announced and we can work it out. But yeah, it would be best o appoint one person to have final say and post final team at or around midnight AEDT on Thursday night. Wars, TTH, P_L, will any of you be around that night?

17. TheTassieHawk

anthak wrote:
    http://tooserious.net/Blog/tabid/90/P...
    well done ant wonderign whether the Cash Remaning amoutn shoudl be added to the blog so people can see they (hopefully) have the right team maybe also emphasise they are free to choose their eemrgecnies, capt, vice capt for rd1 from the 30 named ??

18. anthak

TheTassieHawk wrote:
    anthak wrote:
    http://tooserious.net/Blog/tabid/90/P...
    well done ant wonderign whether the Cash Remaning amoutn shoudl be added to the blog so people can see they (hopefully) have the right team maybe also emphasise they are free to choose their eemrgecnies, capt, vice capt for rd1 from the 30 named ?? Done :) thanks.

19. anthak

port_leschenault wrote:
    How about:

* denotes common players

<ul> <li> Patton goes for JKH (he's a must and he or Rohan will score just as much as Patton)</li> <li>Johnson then moves into Shaw to get the GWS player in (risk you wouldn't take with your normal team but it's not like the ball isn't going to be down that end).</li> <li>Not sure how you can leave out Ellis either? Easily one of the top mid rookies. Him in for Crouch.</li> <li>If Swan goes into Beams, then with spare cash Macrae (too awkwardly priced imo) can go back into Libber.</li> <li>Then just upgrade Pav to Dixon (I don't really mind having Dixon if others want R/F)</li> <li>$22,000 Spare cash.</li> </ul> I just realised, this was missing DSwallow, but Ive added him in the blog post.

20. warsaken

warsaken Active Member

port_leschenault wrote:
    How about:

DEF: [span style='color: #00b050;]Mitchell, [span style='text-decoration: underline; color: #ff0000;]HShaw, [span style='color: #00b050;]Hurn, [span style='color: #ff0000; text-decoration: underline;]Swallow, [span style='color: #00b050;]Guthrie, [span style='color: #00b050;]McDonald, [span style='text-decoration: underline; color: #ff0000;]Laidler, [span style='color: #00b050;]Georgiou
    MID: [span style='text-decoration: underline; color: #ff0000;]Ablett, [span style='color: #00b050;]Rockliff, [span style='color: #00b050;]Liberatore, [span style='color: #ff0000; text-decoration: underline;]Beams, [span style='color: #ff0000; text-decoration: underline;]Thomas, [span style='color: #00b050;]Tyson, [span style='color: #00b050;]Michie, [span style='text-decoration: underline; color: #ff0000;]Polec, [span style='color: #00b050;]Ellis, [span style='color: #00b050;]Dunstan
    RUC: [span style='color: #ff0000; text-decoration: underline;]Lobbe, [span style='text-decoration: underline; color: #ff0000;]Sandi, [span style='text-decoration: underline; color: #ff0000;]Derickx, [span style='color: #00b050;]Thurlow
    FWD: [span style='color: #00b050;]Dangerfield, [span style='text-decoration: underline; color: #ff0000;]Martin, [span style='color: #ff0000; text-decoration: underline;]Dixon, [span style='color: #00b050;]Caddy, [span style='color: #00b050;]Daniher, [span style='color: #00b050;]JKH, [span style='color: #ff0000; text-decoration: underline;]Rohan, [span style='color: #ff0000; text-decoration: underline;]Impey.

<ul> </ul> [span style='font-size: 16px;]I have added colours to help define who plays what week. [span style='color: #ff0000;]RED is week 1. [span style='color: #00b050;]GREEN is week 2.