2015 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'ORFFU' started by Tomster, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Tomster

Tomster Well-Known Member

Happy (Late) New Year to all! Hope everyone had a good break. I'll collect a lot of information from the off/pre-season here for anyone that has missed it. ORFFU Calendar of Events for the next while
    <p style='color: #000000; margin-bottom: 10px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-color: #ffffff; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;]January 31 - All pre-season trading must be completed - this can be debated, and possibly continued for longer. <p style='color: #000000; margin-bottom: 10px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-color: #ffffff; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;]February 14 - All delistments must be completed <p style='color: #000000; margin-bottom: 10px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-color: #ffffff; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;]February 15 - ORFFU PSD begins <p style='color: #000000; margin-bottom: 10px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-color: #ffffff; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;]April 2 - ORFFU|02 begins Rules
    Some rules will have to be set/changed from last year. Nominate some in this thread as well as possible options, and we will put up polls about the major ones. Off the top of my head is the unentered team rule - is it a zero or last weeks team? Roles for Members
    So far, the board has had some interesting chats via PMs. All is working well there. Fresh has volunteered to handle POOYA next year (thanks) and I presume Holky will continue with the Lucky Find and Giant Tap awards. Blog Posts
    Damo has put up his hand to run blog posts, but I think he will need another hand. I had the idea that for the first post for the year, each team reviews one other, and we compile them together. Thoughts? Awards (I have forgotten some and probably got some wrong, feel free to correct me)
    ORFFU|01 Winner - Insider, Ararat Armadillos ORFFU|01 Runner-Up - Tyze, Staghorn Flat Bulls ORFFU|01 Wooden Spoon - ? Giant Tap - Sam Jacobs, Blanchetown Bunyips Lucky Find PSD - Matthew Jaensch, Ararat Armadillos Lucky Find MSD - Jon Ceglar, Cow Bay Crocodiles POOYA - Jake Carlisle, Pakenham Parasites BAFFU - Gary Ablett, Pakenham Parasites BAFFU Team for 2014 <table id='tblPostBody70384' width='100%' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='0' align='left' border='0' style='color: #444444; margin-bottom: 10px;] <td align='left' valign='top' style='padding: 0px; border: 0px; text-align: left; width: 100%;] <div id='spBody' class='Forum_Normal] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;]Def:Hanley(Manangatang)Bartel(Goon)Smith(Pearcedale)Malsexy(Eden) <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;]Mid:Ablett(Pak)Selwood(Banchang)Rocky(Stag)Ward(Goon) <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;]Fwd:Boomer(Eden)Danger(Serengeti)Roughy(Stag)Gray(Blanche) <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;]Ruck:Sauce(Blanche) <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;]IC:Mummy(Cool)Jones (Eden) <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;]Emg:Zorko(Groote)McVeigh(Gisborne)Murphy(Serengeti)Goldy(Korumbura) <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;]Stiff to miss:Hoff(Ararat)Carlisle(Pak)Sandi(Goon)Stevie J (Korumburra) <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;]Captain: Ablett <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;]Vice Captain: Selwood <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;]
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;]Arrivals

Some original members have unfortunately lost interest, but the loss has brought two new arrivals. Bryzza, with the Nuytsland Vikings, and Batfink with the[span style='font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 18px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;]Hughenden Prairie Dogs. Welcome to the FU and good luck for 2015. Draft Order
    YAD has done a great job at constantly updating the order after all trades. Find it here -http://tooserious.net/forum/Forum/tabid/91/forumid/22/threadid/70867/scope/posts/Default.aspx Fixture
    YAD has also completed a fixture, which can be found on the ORFFU Google Account. PM me if you don't have the password. We will continue this year to have to home team do small write-ups post-match, which was an interesting part of Sunday/Monday. From last years thread, we set the record for most viewed thread on this website and were second for most posts in one thread. Incredible activity level from last year, let's keep it up for this year.

2. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

Minor clarification regarding calendar and trades: Calendar remains the same, however trading again opens once preseason draft commences. This gives coaches the opportunity to have last minute negotiations during the draft if, for example, someone drafts a player you really wanted. It also opens up the '2 future draft' rule of draft picks - i.e. You may only trade draft picks as far into the future as two drafts; therefore in the example of trading during the 2015 preseason draft, you may trade a 2016 preseason draft pick.

3. ddsaints

ddsaints Guest

Like insiders suggestion. Plus 1 from me You missed minor premier......pffft who cares Ive nominated for baffu award Tomster unless someone else wants to take over. Might try something else as well..... It's still on the drawing board. More thinking needed. The usual suspects will do match reports most weeks, but the others that don't report Damo might have to cover. No team entry should receive default team each week. Thanks to all for doing a top job. Really enjoying our FU community. Good luck to coaches for 15

4. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

On the 'no team entered' rule, I believe it should be'last weeks team'

5. choppers

<div class='Quote' abp='652]<em abp='653]insider wrote:<br abp='654] </br> <p abp='655]Minor clarification regarding calendar and trades: Calendar remains the same, however trading again opens once preseason draft commences. This gives coaches the opportunity to have last minute negotiations during the draft if, for example, someone drafts a player you really wanted. It also opens up the '2 future draft' rule of draft picks - i.e. You may only trade draft picks as far into the future as two drafts; therefore in the example of trading during the 2015 preseason draft, you may trade a 2016 preseason draft pick. <p abp='656]I think this idea is a good one and I'll vote for its implementation.

6. choppers

<p abp='653]I've seen on another TS thread where they're considering having a Rookie Draft following their PSD. Thethinking for this is tobasically cover for LTIs. I think this is something we could include in ORFFU. <p abp='654]Each team can select 2 playersand they go onto their Rookie List. They cannot be selected for any match unless they are replacing an injured player. <p abp='655]I would also suggest the injured player must remain on the Rookie List for a certain amount of games. I think 5 is a good number. This stops the Rookie being upgraded for just the 1 week. <p abp='656]We could have the Rookie Draft commence 9th March, straight after the PSD and run for 1 week ending 15th March. The Draft would not be compulsory to participate. <p abp='657] <p abp='658]Thoughts? <p abp='659] <p abp='660] <p abp='661] <p abp='662] <p abp='663] <p abp='664] <p abp='665] <p abp='666] <p abp='667] <p abp='668] <p abp='669]

7. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

choppers wrote:
    <p abp='653]I've seen on another TS thread where they're considering having a Rookie Draft following their PSD. Thethinking for this is tobasically cover for LTIs. I think this is something we could include in ORFFU. <p abp='654]Each team can select 2 playersand they go onto their Rookie List. They cannot be selected for any match unless they are replacing an injured player. <p abp='655]I would also suggest the injured player must remain on the Rookie List for a certain amount of games. I think 5 is a good number. This stops the Rookie being upgraded for just the 1 week. <p abp='656]We could have the Rookie Draft commence 9th March, straight after the PSD and run for 1 week ending 15th March. The Draft would not be compulsory to participate. <p abp='657] <p abp='658]Thoughts? <p abp='659] <p abp='660] <p abp='661] <p abp='662] <p abp='663] <p abp='664] <p abp='665] <p abp='666] <p abp='667] <p abp='668] <p abp='669] I know I was very vocal about something like this last year, a solution for LTI's. I've changed my tune now, and I think it should just be 'tough sh!t'. We have 26 players, and an MSD to correct for problems at the half way point of the season. This is more than enough, and also part of the luck of the draw. Plus its a skill to select a side that can field 15 guys each week. I'll happily admit that I've paid just as much attention to players who regularly play 20+ games a season, as I do to players who score 100+ points when they do play. In short - don't agree we should go down this path.

8. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

I would have to agree with the Prospectors. Although having two rookies to cover lti's makes sense having them out for a set period of time seems harsh. If we were to go down this path we make as well just increase the squad to 28 which i am in two minds about.

9. tyze1

tyze1 Well-Known Member

choppers wrote:
    </br> <p abp='653]I've seen on another TS thread where they're considering having a Rookie Draft following their PSD. Thethinking for this is tobasically cover for LTIs. I think this is something we could include in ORFFU. <p abp='654]Each team can select 2 playersand they go onto their Rookie List. They cannot be selected for any match unless they are replacing an injured player. <p abp='655]I would also suggest the injured player must remain on the Rookie List for a certain amount of games. I think 5 is a good number. This stops the Rookie being upgraded for just the 1 week. <p abp='656]We could have the Rookie Draft commence 9th March, straight after the PSD and run for 1 week ending 15th March. The Draft would not be compulsory to participate. <p abp='657] <p abp='658]Thoughts? <p abp='659] <p abp='660] <p abp='661] I think I raised this last year and Iremain a fan asit does make it more like an Afl list. Should it be considered, then things like defining minimum LTI length and time a player can remain a rookie on a list before having to be upgraded or returned to the player pool would need to agreed and ruled on. <p abp='664] <p abp='665] <p abp='666] <p abp='667] <p abp='668] <p abp='669]

10. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

For the no team entry thing, I think we should all have a default team that gets used, not just last weeks team (which promotes laziness). Just before the start of the season, every coach should name a 'best 15' default team, which gets used if they don't enter a team. It won't be perfect during the season as players get injured or dropped and what-not, but atleast its better than zeros! After the MSD, every coach can update their 'best 15' default team for the remainder of the season. Hopefully this will help to keep the season exciting, and limit blow-outs! I'd also like to see the MSD order based on total points scored, and not ladder positions. I got rather screwed by this last year, as I was near the top of the ladder for the first half of the season, and so got a bad draft position. I was around 8th for the second half of the season, which better reflected my teams total points score for the year, and week-on-week. Basically, this means that the fixtures don't half-dictate your MSD position, your teams performance does. To help with the LTI issues, I think that any coach with a player listed on the AFL website with a season ending injury should have the option to drop that player to the free agency, and pick up any player from the free agency list as a replacement. Basically, when Ablett went down in R16, and was listed on the season-ending injury list (I think he was on it within a week, wasn't he???) then Pakenham would have had the option to drop him to free agency, and pick up any other player. It would be an option that likely wouldn't be taken up (in Ablett's case), but may be for some other players.

11. ddsaints

ddsaints Guest

Not a fan of this LTI list, I figure draft smarter and cross your fingers.Injuries can cripple any teams season all apart of the ups and downs. Otherwise just increase the list size.

12. DamoH

DamoH Well-Known Member

A few things to work into one post, so bear with me&amp;hellip;

Reviews/blog posts - the more the merrier, and I'm definitely no expert, so very happy if anyone else wants to get involved. I'll have time after the PSD to do another of my infamous prediction threads (which in fairness on revisiting weren't that far off), but again the more views/banter the better. I think getting everyone to write a review would be difficult as it's just not some people's thing (and that's fine by me - as long as you're posting your team each week and involved in drafts/trades then there's an FU spot for you imho).

No team entered - I think the last team entered by the coach should stand, butcoaches shouldn't benefit for notposting teams, so I would propose adding a punishment. Something like - if a team is not posted by lockout for three rounds during the season, that team automatically receives pick 18, rather than their first round pick based on finishing position, in the next PSD.

LTI - gotta agree with DD here - no need for a LTI. 26 is a large enough list and it seems that after the MSD most teams had drafted a squad that would generally field 15.

MSD draft order - I think we should stick with ladder positions, although this was rough on JPK last year and will probably be again on someone else this year. However, we wouldn't kick the team that finishes 8th out of the finals because 9th scored more points over the season, so I don't think we should do the equivalent at MSD time.

13. Tomster

Tomster Well-Known Member

DamoH wrote:

A few things to work into one post, so bear with me&amp;hellip;

Reviews/blog posts - the more the merrier, and I'm definitely no expert, so very happy if anyone else wants to get involved. I'll have time after the PSD to do another of my infamous prediction threads (which in fairness on revisiting weren't that far off), but again the more views/banter the better. I think getting everyone to write a review would be difficult as it's just not some people's thing (and that's fine by me - as long as you're posting your team each week and involved in drafts/trades then there's an FU spot for you imho).

No team entered - I think the last team entered by the coach should stand, butcoaches shouldn't benefit for notposting teams, so I would propose adding a punishment. Something like - if a team is not posted by lockout for three rounds during the season, that team automatically receives pick 18, rather than their first round pick based on finishing position, in the next PSD.

LTI - gotta agree with DD here - no need for a LTI. 26 is a large enough list and it seems that after the MSD most teams had drafted a squad that would generally field 15.

MSD draft order - I think we should stick with ladder positions, although this was rough on JPK last year and will probably be again on someone else this year. However, we wouldn't kick the team that finishes 8th out of the finals because 9th scored more points over the season, so I don't think we should do the equivalent at MSD time. I agree with everything Damo has said here, but rather than after 3 rounds of unentered teams maybe the next week no team is entered at all? That way, towards the end of the season if it is a close fight for positions, the team could drop players on percentage for having a week or two with zero points.

14. fresh

fresh Well-Known Member

Alrighty, had a read through everyone's post and here are my musings.
    Trading during the draft
    Interesting idea of trading during the draft. I'd like to give it a go so I'm voting for it.

Reviews/Blog posts
    Like last year, I think the home team doing this during the year would be good.

I'd like to see one of the coaches who isn't a board member or doing any of the awards put their hand up for this.

Rookie list/LTIs
    I'd be a no for the rookie list idea or for being able to drop a player during the season when they get a season ending injury and pick up any player in the free agency list. Agree with JPK that the MSD is there for LTIs.

I also see that towards the end of the season a lot of players get listed as being out for the season and it's usually the case where a player goes down in round 19, gets confirmed as out for 4 weeks and the team is not going to make finals.

MSD order
    I think we stick with ladder order. I haven't seen the fixture yet but perhaps the fixturing needs to ensure that each team has a similar number of 'easier' games in the lead up to MSD (eg each team plays each of last year's bottom 4/6 teams a similar number of times).

Squad sizes
    Bryzza mentioned that if we have 2 rookies we might as well just increase list sizes. Imo 26 is working well for now and I think EE mentioned last year that he'd only vote for a squad increase if we had mandatory delistments as well. My thoughts are similar, if we do ever increase squad sizes then I'd only vote for this if we had mandatory delistments for PSDs.

No team entered
    I'm for last weeks team to be used and like Damoh's idea that 3 weeks in a row of this sees the coach's first pick in PSD moves to 18.

15. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

thought of two more things. Both around money $$$$ 1). Anyone keen on a (non compulsory) wager on FU grand final winner or most points scored or something to spice things up? 2). I want to pass the hat around and see if we can generate some (non compulsory) donations to TS/Walesy/the site that we frequent so much. I have visions of handing walesy a giant oversized check that say FU on it.... but also of everyone clicking on the Donate button above and giving some hard earned back to TS

16. Batfink

Batfink Well-Known Member

I'm in on both suggestions.

17. wrightbrendan

wrightbrendan Well-Known Member

Trades during draft Thumbs up, let's do it Rookie list/LTIs I'm also a no on this one so don't think it matters but if we were going to do it I'd like a confirmed source like AFL injury list or injuryupdate.com that had to show a certain amount of weeks maybe 12+ before an injury replacement was allowed MSD Order I think points for is a much fairer option. I see it as different to determining ladder positions because by the end of the season everyone has played each other once but by MSD time your draw could have a big impact on where you sit on the ladder No team entered Not sure on the penalty so can't offer anything there but I like the idea of a once off occurrence getting previous weeks team and then penalties for any further non-submissions

18. martyg

martyg Well-Known Member

I agree too...

19. choppers

wrightbrendan has nailed it...... Trades during Draft.................Yes Rookie List...............................No MSD Order...............................Points For determines order No Team Entered....................Previous weeks team

20. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

I second wrightbrendan and chopper