2015 Pre-Season Auction Thread

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Fitzy, Feb 4, 2015.

1. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

chris88 wrote:
    anthak wrote:
    chris88 wrote:

2. If you are pitching/bidding for Pick 3, think about what Pick 3 would bring in in this year's draft and bid to that value. I'm going to be very discerning on what I'll accept for that pick.

. I can't see anyone bidding a player the value of pick 3, when they need to include a late 1st round or early 2nd round pick as well. In any case, fair enough about Mitchell. I thought you may be happy with him if you had watched last nights game. But anyway, I think my 3 bids have got worse each one. Roughead was probably the best. How about this bid for pick 3: Mark Hutchings (WCE. Mid. 23yo) & pick 18.

I guess when I wrote that point 2, I sort of meant that the bid is going to have to add up to what Pick 3 would bring in - to bid to that value whatever you are putting forward.

Hutchings and pick 18 isn't far away Ant - if Hutchings was fit and didn't have Groin (TBC) beside his name on the injury list I'd be close to saying that would meet reserve.

But after little luck in the past with injuries at the start of the season I'm not keen to follow that route again.

Oh yeah, I get what you meant now. And in terms of the auction, I think Hutchings is my best bid in willing to offer. I'm not sure how bad his injury is. But I understand your concern. I'll have a think about improving my bid, but I don't think that I will.

2. G-Train

G-Train Member

chris88 wrote:
    Another attempt at an auction. This time for something a little different: I am auctioning PSD Pick #3. For Pick 3 I bid Anthony Miles.

3. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Prap wrote:
    chris88 wrote:
    Another attempt at an auction. This time for something a little different: I am auctioning PSD Pick #3. For Pick 3 I bid Anthony Miles.

Oh that is very very canny of you Prap, endeavouring to use my Richmond allegiances against me.

Hmmm, even without those allegiances though, that bid meets reserve. Have at it lady and gents.

The auction will wrap up at 9am on Wednesday ... and given Pick 3 is now on the market, I'll disclose who I was actually going to pick with it once the auction is over.

The reserve hasn't been met for Pick 11 as yet.

4. graeme

graeme Guest

This seems like fun Chris, i'll pitch you on two M/F's - your choice which one you choose. That would be for pick 11, if you want a later draft prick as well then we would be talking pick 3. (i) Mitch Robinson - last three years average (2014, 2013, 2012) 83, 81, 89. Now part of the powerhouse Brisbane set up and playing alongside his old nemesis Dayne Beams who always got under his skin; (ii) Matthew Wright -[span style='background: #ffffff;]last three years average (2014, 2013, 2012) 80, 71, 89. New coach, less of a defensive role can only mean more points. [span style='background: #ffffff;]
    [span style='background: #ffffff;]I will resist tugging at the heartstrings by putting Ben Griffiths (F) in as a third option. Averaged 80 for the last five games in 2014 after he was dropped before he and Dimma sorted out what was required to make him into an afl player. Likely to get some midfield time with improved fitness. [span style='background: #ffffff;]
    [span style='background: #ffffff;]BTW, any coach who thinks one of these guys would look good in the forward line of your team, please feel free to beat Chris to the punch. It is highly unlikely that these guys will be de-listed.

5. chris88

Ah, now here's where the fun starts!

I don't need any fwds right now after the recruitment of Mr Edwards, even with Mr Goddard no longer at The Paddock.

And with the bid of Anthony Miles - a mid - currently leading the Pick 3 auction, I'm not in need of another mid either.

That said, under normal circs, Matty Wright would be of interest - so its not the quality of the guy I have an issue with ... in fact I reckon he may jump up in average again this year.

But I now have to be mindful of the Pick 3 auction bidding when considering reserve for Pick 11.

(Note to self, never again run two concurrent auctions!!)

6. snoz

snoz Moderator

Pretty sure this is the first time I've ever bid in an auction (note to self: cross that off the bucket list): Chris..............pick 11: Steven May, GC Defender, 23 yrs old,locked in the best 22 the last two years. 2013 = 17 games at 58, 2014 = 19 games at 74 plus my early 3rd Rd Pick #40 in exchangefor Pick #11 & #48. And yes, he had minor surgery in late Jan, re-started training 2 weeks later and played Saturday in the NEAFL with half of the other Suns & looked great. (Feel free to look that up) snoz out

7. grav

grav Guest

Quick fire auction. Sam Lloyd up for grabs. Well vested last yr but ppm stats wr very sweet as was non vest scores. Nice showing in the nab to date, incl 4 goals on sat night. looking for a draft pick of 50 or better. auction ends wed at 5pm

8. chris88

Simonoz wrote:
    Pretty sure this is the first time I've ever bid in an auction (note to self: cross that off the bucket list): Chris..............pick 11: Steven May, GC Defender, 23 yrs old, locked in the best 22 the last two years. 2013 = 17 games at 58, 2014 = 19 games at 74 plus my early 3rd Rd Pick #40 in exchange for Pick #11 & #48. And yes, he had minor surgery in late Jan, re-started training 2 weeks later and played Saturday in the NEAFL with half of the other Suns & looked great. (Feel free to look that up) snoz out

That bid meets reserve on Pick 11, so that pick is now on the market as well.

Having those three picks in the top 17 was nice about 36 or so hours ago.

I feel like I'm driving an out of control car with no brakes along the Great Ocean Road .... and laughing like an utter maniac.

Glad these auctions are creating some fun.

9. snoz

snoz Moderator

chris88 wrote:
    </br>
    </br> Simonoz wrote:
    </br>
    </br> Pretty sure this is the first time I've ever bid in an auction (note to self: cross that off the bucket list): Chris..............pick 11: Steven May, GC Defender, 23 yrs old, locked in the best 22 the last two years. 2013 = 17 games at 58, 2014 = 19 games at 74 plus my early 3rd Rd Pick #40 in exchange for Pick #11 & #48. And yes, he had minor surgery in late Jan, re-started training 2 weeks later and played Saturday in the NEAFL with half of the other Suns & looked great. (Feel free to look that up) snoz out
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>That bid meets reserve on Pick 11, so that pick is now on the market as well.
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>Having those three picks in the top 17 was nice about 36 or so hours ago.
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>I feel like I'm driving an out of control car with no brakes along the Great Ocean Road .... and laughing like an utter maniac.
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>Glad these auctions are creating some fun. Chris......love that comment. I spent half my life in Oz in Anglesea right on the great road. I can't tell you how many times we travelled the Great Ocean Road, as kids who didn't know how to drive, as kids who had um had a few..........we have taken those cliff curves between Anglesea & Lorne so many times its a wonder that I am sitting here today. I still remember I had my mate Jono be a human ocker strap on top of my car when we 'acquired' a a piece of wood sheet we just had to have. The funniest drive I have ever had from Fairhaven to Anglesea.

10. snoz

snoz Moderator

I'll go after pick #3 as well............ Jarryd Lyons, the enigma of the Crows, plus my 2nd Rd pick #31 for Pick 3 & 74 Lyonsaveraged allof 60 last year in his second season in the AFL. I've held him for two years now because I think he has it what it takes. This years NAB Cup has reinforced that and is now considered a lock for the best 22. He is 22 yrs old and a Mid/Fwd DPP with 22 games under his belt. He is not worth pick #3 on his own, I'm not an idiot :) So my2nd Rd pick of 31 is added to the deal. You don't need #74, but I do.....so I added it. You'll now have 31/40........plus have added Lyons F/M& May D (other auction). snoz out

11. chris88

Simonoz wrote:
    Chris......love that comment. I spent half my life in Oz in Anglesea right on the great road. I can't tell you how many times we travelled the Great Ocean Road, as kids who didn't know how to drive, as kids who had um had a few..........we have taken those cliff curves between Anglesea &amp; Lorne so many times its a wonder that I am sitting here today. I still remember I had my mate Jono be a human ocker strap on top of my car when we 'acquired' a a piece of wood sheet we just had to have. The funniest drive I have ever had from Fairhaven to Anglesea.

That is hilarious.

Remember driving the Great Ocean Road quite a few years ago for the first time in about 7-8 years. I'd forgotten that technique you need to drive it properly and in relative safety ... found myself driving in a straight line through an unexpected zigag in the road (luckily no-one coming the other way) because I braked a fraction too late.

Wasn't really impressed ... nor was Jen, who as front seat passenger was understandably nervous.

Last time we went down that way we let the kids eat something in the car before driving between the Otway Forest and Lorne on the road ... that didn't end well (luckily the mess was rather minor).

12. chris88

Simonoz wrote:
    I'll go after pick #3 as well............ Jarryd Lyons, the enigma of the Crows, plus my 2nd Rd pick #31 for Pick 3 &amp; 74 Lyons averaged all of 60 last year in his second season in the AFL. I've held him for two years now because I think he has it what it takes. This years NAB Cup has reinforced that and is now considered a lock for the best 22. He is 22 yrs old and a Mid/Fwd DPP with 22 games under his belt. He is not worth pick #3 on his own, I'm not an idiot :) So my 2nd Rd pick of 31 is added to the deal. You don't need #74, but I do.....so I added it. You'll now have 31/40........plus have added Lyons F/M &amp; May D (other auction). snoz out

I do like Lyons ... and the draft pick in the back of the car with no brakes would be fun, but I reckon Prap's bid is still just ahead at this stage.

13. snoz

snoz Moderator

Fair enough........I'll add the 5th pick in the 4th Rd to the deal........ Lyons, 2nd Rd #31 & 4th Rd #59 for 3 & 74

14. chris88

Simonoz wrote:
    Fair enough........I'll add the 5th pick in the 4th Rd to the deal........ Lyons, 2nd Rd #31 &amp; 4th Rd #59 for 3 &amp; 74

It might be because I'm more familiar with Miles than Lyons (though I have kept my eye on Lyons for a while) that I'm still reckoning the Miles bid is a nose ahead.

But there isn't much in it at all.

15. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

For pick 11, I bidXavier Ellis, if take out his (3) sub-affected games averages 78. Played every game he wasn't injured in. Defender. 27 years old.

16. snoz

snoz Moderator

chris88 wrote:
    </br> Simonoz wrote:
    </br> Fair enough........I'll add the 5th pick in the 4th Rd to the deal........ Lyons, 2nd Rd #31 & 4th Rd #59 for 3 & 74
    </br>
    </br>It might be because I'm more familiar with Miles than Lyons (though I have kept my eye on Lyons for a while) that I'm still reckoning the Miles bid is a nose ahead.
    </br>
    </br>But there isn't much in it at all. Oi.......Lyons +a 2nd + a 4th Rd pick still pipped by Miles..............that's tough. How about I change tack........ Lyons F/M + Aaron Mullett Deffor pick 3 & 74. Now heads up, Aaron hurt his shoulder & is not expected back till Round 7 or 8. Averaged 77 over 22 games in 2013 before injuries/form hurt him last year and he only managed an interrupted 17 games at 58. To think the Pies tried to trade for him only to be rejected by the Kanga's in the off season.....that happens I probs don't offer him hahaha

17. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

chris88 wrote:
    Prap wrote:
    chris88 wrote:

Oh that is very very canny of you Prap, endeavouring to use my Richmond allegiances against me.

Hmmm, even without those allegiances though, that bid meets reserve. Have at it lady and gents.

The auction will wrap up at 9am on Wednesday ... and given Pick 3 is now on the market, I'll disclose who I was actually going to pick with it once the auction is over.

Why would you do that? This is a pet peeve of mine. I can understand the fun and banter associated around us doing mock drafts and the like, but coaches/franchises actually telling people who they would pick at #3 before the draft? Why? You are potentially disadvantaging coaches picking after #3 as you may bring to attention a player not previously on someone's radar.

18. chris88

jimbowan wrote:
    chris88 wrote:
    Prap wrote:
    chris88 wrote:

Why would you do that? This is a pet peeve of mine. I can understand the fun and banter associated around us doing mock drafts and the like, but coaches/franchises actually telling people who they would pick at #3 before the draft? Why? You are potentially disadvantaging coaches picking after #3 as you may bring to attention a player not previously on someone's radar.

A fair point well made Jim - I'll desist.

19. chris88

Simonoz wrote:
    chris88 wrote:
    </br> Simonoz wrote:
    </br> Fair enough........I'll add the 5th pick in the 4th Rd to the deal........ Lyons, 2nd Rd #31 &amp; 4th Rd #59 for 3 &amp; 74
    </br>
    </br>It might be because I'm more familiar with Miles than Lyons (though I have kept my eye on Lyons for a while) that I'm still reckoning the Miles bid is a nose ahead.
    </br>
    </br>But there isn't much in it at all. Oi.......Lyons + a 2nd + a 4th Rd pick still pipped by Miles..............that's tough. How about I change tack........ Lyons F/M + Aaron Mullett Def for pick 3 &amp; 74. Now heads up, Aaron hurt his shoulder &amp; is not expected back till Round 7 or 8. Averaged 77 over 22 games in 2013 before injuries/form hurt him last year and he only managed an interrupted 17 games at 58. To think the Pies tried to trade for him only to be rejected by the Kanga's in the off season.....that happens I probs don't offer him hahaha

Hey snoz - I have to be consistent ... I couldn't take on the offer for Mark Hutchings due to his injury, and I have to say the same thing here - I just have a personal thing where I avoid trading for injured players.

So I still have Prap ahead.

20. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

chris88 wrote:
    Simonoz wrote:
    chris88 wrote:

Simonoz wrote:

Fair enough........I'll add the 5th pick in the 4th Rd to the deal........ Lyons, 2nd Rd #31 & 4th Rd #59 for 3 & 74

It might be because I'm more familiar with Miles than Lyons (though I have kept my eye on Lyons for a while) that I'm still reckoning the Miles bid is a nose ahead.

But there isn't much in it at all. Oi.......Lyons + a 2nd + a 4th Rd pick still pipped by Miles..............that's tough. How about I change tack........ Lyons F/M + Aaron Mullett Def for pick 3 & 74. Now heads up, Aaron hurt his shoulder & is not expected back till Round 7 or 8. Averaged 77 over 22 games in 2013 before injuries/form hurt him last year and he only managed an interrupted 17 games at 58. To think the Pies tried to trade for him only to be rejected by the Kanga's in the off season.....that happens I probs don't offer him hahaha

Hey snoz - I have to be consistent ... I couldn't take on the offer for Mark Hutchings due to his injury, and I have to say the same thing here - I just have a personal thing where I avoid trading for injured players.

So I still have Prap ahead. How does my offer for 11 shape up?