2015 Pre-Season Auction Thread

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Fitzy, Feb 4, 2015.

1. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

OK, State of Play for Picks 3 and 11

Pick 3 - Prap is the leading bid
    Pick 11 - Snoz's bid centred around Steven May is the lead bid there.

2. graeme

graeme Guest

jimbowan wrote:
    chris88 wrote:
    Prap wrote:
    chris88 wrote:
    Another attempt at an auction. This time for something a little different: I am auctioning PSD Pick #3. For Pick 3 I bid Anthony Miles.

Oh that is very very canny of you Prap, endeavouring to use my Richmond allegiances against me.

Hmmm, even without those allegiances though, that bid meets reserve. Have at it lady and gents.

The auction will wrap up at 9am on Wednesday ... and given Pick 3 is now on the market, I'll disclose who I was actually going to pick with it once the auction is over.

The reserve hasn't been met for Pick 11 as yet.
    Why would you do that? This is a pet peeve of mine. I can understand the fun and banter associated around us doing mock drafts and the like, but coaches/franchises actually telling people who they would pick at #3 before the draft? Why? You are potentially disadvantaging coaches picking after #3 as you may bring to attention a player not previously on someone's radar. Thanks Jimbo, I was not quite sure how to handle the difficulty I had with such a 'revelation.' BTW, I have no problem with Chris advising who he would have picked at #3 after the draft is finished.

3. chris88

graeme wrote:
    jimbowan wrote:
    chris88 wrote:
    Prap wrote:
    chris88 wrote:
    Another attempt at an auction. This time for something a little different: I am auctioning PSD Pick #3. For Pick 3 I bid Anthony Miles.

Oh that is very very canny of you Prap, endeavouring to use my Richmond allegiances against me.

Hmmm, even without those allegiances though, that bid meets reserve. Have at it lady and gents.

The auction will wrap up at 9am on Wednesday ... and given Pick 3 is now on the market, I'll disclose who I was actually going to pick with it once the auction is over.

The reserve hasn't been met for Pick 11 as yet.
    Why would you do that? This is a pet peeve of mine. I can understand the fun and banter associated around us doing mock drafts and the like, but coaches/franchises actually telling people who they would pick at #3 before the draft? Why? You are potentially disadvantaging coaches picking after #3 as you may bring to attention a player not previously on someone's radar. Thanks Jimbo, I was not quite sure how to handle the difficulty I had with such a 'revelation.' BTW, I have no problem with Chris advising who he would have picked at #3 after the draft is finished.

Best way to handle it is bloody bluntly, as Jim did.

Simply didn't think ... I'm in the middle of helping rebuild a website and organise a conference, and in flicking in and out of this thread didn't think about what I wrote. Happy Jim pulled me up on it.

4. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

HAHA didnt mean it too blunt Chris :) Probably should have added a few smileys :) :p Just wanted to nip it before others chimed in.

5. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

I'll place another bid for pick 11 I bid one of C.Young/X.Ellis and pick 57 and 63 for pick 11 and 73.

6. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

jimbowan wrote:
    HAHA didnt mean it too blunt Chris :) Probably should have added a few smileys :) :p Just wanted to nip it before others chimed in. Pretty sure I own the rights on smiley faces

7. snoz

snoz Moderator

jimbowan wrote:
    </br> HAHA didnt mean it too blunt Chris :) Probably should have added a few smileys :) :p Just wanted to nip it before others chimed in. JB will herewith be known as The Enforcer :) /Portals/0/Users/184/64/1464/the%20enforcer.png]</img>

8. snoz

snoz Moderator

chris88 wrote:
    </br>
    </br> Simonoz wrote:
    </br>
    </br> chris88 wrote:
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>
    </br> Simonoz wrote:
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>
    </br> Fair enough........I'll add the 5th pick in the 4th Rd to the deal........ Lyons, 2nd Rd #31 & 4th Rd #59 for 3 & 74
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>It might be because I'm more familiar with Miles than Lyons (though I have kept my eye on Lyons for a while) that I'm still reckoning the Miles bid is a nose ahead.
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>But there isn't much in it at all. Oi.......Lyons + a 2nd + a 4th Rd pick still pipped by Miles..............that's tough. How about I change tack........ Lyons F/M + Aaron Mullett Def for pick 3 & 74. Now heads up, Aaron hurt his shoulder & is not expected back till Round 7 or 8. Averaged 77 over 22 games in 2013 before injuries/form hurt him last year and he only managed an interrupted 17 games at 58. To think the Pies tried to trade for him only to be rejected by the Kanga's in the off season.....that happens I probs don't offer him hahaha
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>Hey snoz - I have to be consistent ... I couldn't take on the offer for Mark Hutchings due to his injury, and I have to say the same thing here - I just have a personal thing where I avoid trading for injured players.
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>
    </br>So I still have Prap ahead. Hhmmmm...........................ok, so injured players, albeit short term, are out. Kkkkk........I can appreciate that. Let me go back to my original offer, which you had indicated was only 'a nose behind' Praps. * Jarryd Lyons + 2nd Rd pick #31 + 4th Rd pick #59 for Picks 3 & 74 * Looking at Len's draft order - you also have pick 87 - Would it help if I changed my request of3 & 74 to 3 & 87 ? (As an FYI - I'd consider.......consider......doing the trade for 3 straight up IF I had to.......) snozzled

9. chris88

State of Play:

Pick 3 - The leading bidder is now Snoz, by small margin, after his most recent bid. I rate highly the quality of Miles, but Lyons is no slouch, and those draft picks aren't insignificant.

Pick 11 - Snoz, again, though Fitzy's most recent bid wasn't a bad one at all. However I rate the quality of Steven May and his potential to grow far higher than Young or Ellis. The draft picks offered do draw things a touch closer however.

10. G-Train

G-Train Member

It's extremely unlikely that I increase my bid at this stage of Anthony Miles. I considered it an overpay to draft for positional requirement. Personally I don't think Lyons could carry Miles's jockstrap into the ground, even if you added 3 second rounders :)

11. chris88

Prap wrote:
    It's extremely unlikely that I increase my bid at this stage of Anthony Miles. I considered it an overpay to draft for positional requirement. Personally I don't think Lyons could carry Miles's jockstrap into the ground, even if you added 3 second rounders :)

Prap, just so you know ... you're about as far behind Snoz's bid as Snoz was behind yours before his bid overnight.

I do agree with you that Miles is a better player than Lyons.

12. chris88

Revised State of Play:

After a revised look at my list and at the free agents list I have to reverse my position on the Pick 3 auction:

Pick 3 - Praps bid is in front
    Pick 11 - Snoz's bid is in front.

I know it says in the auction rules that explaining any reasoning for placing auction bids in front or behind is voluntary - and during these auctions I've tried to offer explanations for each bid and decision - so I should offer reasoning on this change of tack.

Simple reason is I miscounted my list make-up/numbers and the possible further delistings I'll be doing. This means that draft picks have become slightly less important to me.

My apologies to everyone. I am fully aware this is not ideal but I thought it better to be honest about this now well before auction end times and in a timely way.

My particular apologies to those bidders affected by this. Doing this is not something I do lightly.

I've also probably learned a lesson that auctioning two things at the same time is not sensible.

I'm going to return to my work here at work and step back for an hour or two from this.

13. graeme

graeme Guest

Chris, draft pick 11 - would you be interested in Chris Knights? Not injured. Excellent numbers when on the park. Very encouraging return in NAB 1. Being talked up by Dimma as part of best 22. But I do not have to tell you about Tiger's players do I!

14. jimbowan

I offer Jack Riewoldt and pick #36 for pick #3 that should give me enough 'homer' points to comfortably win this auction :)

15. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

jimbowan wrote:
    I offer Jack Riewoldt and pick #36 for pick #3 that should give me enough 'homer' points to comfortably win this auction :) Wow! And they say we have a new look Jack this year. Whoever you have your eye on 3 Jimbo, he must be bloody good.

16. graeme

graeme Guest

But not as highly rated as the guy Jimbo is eyeing up at pick #2

17. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

I'll put in another bid for #11 Clinton Young, pick 27 and pick 63 for #11 and #73 If this isn't good enough mind letting me know how far off I am? Cheers :)

18. snoz

snoz Moderator

Thecuriosity of pick 3......... * Lyons/31/59 for 3/87 was enough to get ahead for 2 hours..................................then it wasn't :( 1st option - as above, but drop pick 87(Lyons/31/59 for 3) (that's a young F/M who last year cracked the crows 22 permanently and who has shone in 2 of 3 NAB games, and now with a new coach playing him as a Mid/High Half FwdPLUSit gives you a2nd round pickPLUSit gives you a4th round pick, and after these auctions you don't have manydecent draft picks, in fact none..........Versus the 12 game 'superstar' in Miles which also leaves you with just thoselate, late draft picks) 2nd Option - Jarryd Lyons / Aaron Mullett / Pick 59 for Pick 3 straight up (see above for Lyons, we add a young defender who averaged 77 in his first full year in 2013, then battled injury & 2nd yr blues last year and only played 17 games at 58; hurt his shoulder 4 weeks ago and is due back Round 6/7.......JUST for the injury alone, am adding the 4th Rd pick 59 which gives you a young mid, a young defender and a 4th Round pick to stockpile) fried snoz

19. chris88

OK, I'm going to go through these bids tonight (in about 3-4 hours) and get back on line in response to each of them later on.

I want to actually properly consider each of them rather than rush a little (like I did this morning, and that was a bit of a mess).

It is easier to consider these things over a cup of tea, at home, after spending some time with the family rather than here at work while I'm trying to multitask.

(Of course the definition of multitasking is doing a number of things badly at the same time rather than just one thing adequately)

At least then I can say who the top bidder for each is and do so in plenty of time to allow any counter bids or inquiries leading up to 9am tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone who has put in bids.

20. jimbowan

/Portals/0/Users/067/19/4419/Jack_Riewoldt-628.jpg